9.18.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm by korensmommy

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #31 of 81

Thanks leah_s.
Next time I'll be more patient...but for now I have a bowl of toxic royal icing! I'm afraid to see what color it will turn to in a few hours! Love Friday Night Cake Club, usually I'm a lurker seeing what the pros are doing!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:33am
post #32 of 81

leah_s we were thinking the same

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #33 of 81

Not sure how big the head needs to be, but I saw a demo at our ICES meeting of "gum ball babies". The woman in Indy who does this had the technique published in a cake magazine. But she uses HUGES gumballs (some are just NOT designed to fit in a human mouth!) as the center and wraps fondant/gumpaste around them. WAY less drying time.

Anyway ... thought it might be an idea, even for a future project.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #34 of 81

Slow night for me tonight - just 1 simple cake due tomorrow. Next week is my busy week but I am able to do a lot of prep beforehand.

I'm going to attempt to make popcorn cupcakes with the help of Azterp's tutorial:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623489.html

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #35 of 81

Yeah, I always have a couple of boxes of rkt on hand in the pantry. Whipped some out last night to make a mini football helmet. Worked really well!

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #36 of 81

Good evening, I am working on 1-3 tier, 1- purse and high heel cake, and one birthday with a peace sign...all for tomorrow

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #37 of 81

I'm gonna go get some of that sleep stuff.

"Carry on!"

"Make it work!"

Luv that Tim Gunn.

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:43am
post #38 of 81

I can't get the ready made rkt in my small town, so I have to make mine but that is what I used for the hat and ball in my only photo I have posted

AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:44am
post #39 of 81

ok new cake is in the oven, with the oil. I need to stop cooking in the dark. See I dim the lights in my house so the kids can go to sleep and once asleep then I can start. But I wanted to just get to it and that what I get. So no more baking in the dark I'll just have to wait until they are asleep.

But this is funny

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:46am
post #40 of 81

AnnaJo, you have to be my daughter from another life, you sound like me

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:48am
post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

Good evening, I am working on 1-3 tier, 1- purse and high heel cake, and one birthday with a peace sign...all for tomorrow

Good evening

korensmommy Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #42 of 81

Tatorchip - know of any good cake stores around my area?? I moved to LA not too long ago and can't find any.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #43 of 81

Well just finished the finished up a tombstone Over the Hill cake, red velvet cake for sampling, and a female naughty school girl cake. (well finished it last night but had to to some touch ups tonight)......

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:55am
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

Tatorchip - know of any good cake stores around my area?? I moved to LA not too long ago and can't find any.

I heard that SurLaTable was pretty good but never been yet, I did go to Lafayette last Fri. and went to Michaels but was disappointed small selections of pans. I go to Houston for most things and on line. I bet you miss New York for that reason but don't you love our food. lol

AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #45 of 81

Tatorchip, I'm still new at this and I'm trying to find what works best for me. I would love to make this my business by next year, but with the kids is hard at times. But thanks, maybe you are my baking mom? icon_lol.gif

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #46 of 81

in Baton Rouge Korensmommy

korensmommy Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:00am
post #47 of 81

Tatorchip,
Have you tried Targil's up in Opelousas? http://www.targil.com
That's all I've found so far. Where is SurLaTable?
Next time your in Lafayette, stop by for a cupcake!

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJo

Tatorchip, I'm still new at this and I'm trying to find what works best for me. I would love to make this my business by next year, but with the kids is hard at times. But thanks, maybe you are my baking mom? icon_lol.gif

AnnaJo you will do great, because you can laugh at yourself and you didn't give up and you just re done the cake, now that is a good sign, You will do just fine and remember the kids grow up too fast enjoy them and your cakes.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:01am
post #49 of 81

everytime i do a cake, i remember why i do cookies. just finished a fancy nancy cake for my daughters 6th birthday tomorrow
LL

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:04am
post #50 of 81

Wow! Friday night cake club! I was already addicted to cc but this is even better! Here I lie in bed on my itouch surfing the forums for new stuff. I have a small cake with a cupcake tower due tomorrow night so I took tonight off! Busy cake week and I was ready for a break!

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

Tatorchip,
Have you tried Targil's up in Opelousas? http://www.targil.com
That's all I've found so far. Where is SurLaTable?
Next time your in Lafayette, stop by for a cupcake!

SurLaTable is in Baton Rouge
Cupcake yum
Targil's never been but my brother has and loves the place, have you been there and if yes what in the cake stuff do they have

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:13am
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

everytime i do a cake, i remember why i do cookies. just finished a fancy nancy cake for my daughters 6th birthday tomorrow

that is a fancy nancy but what a fantastic cake, great work kneadacookie

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #53 of 81

Hi ladies,

All I'm working on tonight is a couple dozen cupcakes that I'm trading to someone for an antique wedding dress that's beyond repair for normal use, for my daughter to use as a Halloween costume icon_biggrin.gif

How's that for strange? Mostly it's a lesson for my daughter about working for the things she gets...we molded chocolate cameos and teapots for toppers.

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:17am
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyIced

Wow! Friday night cake club! I was already addicted to cc but this is even better! Here I lie in bed on my itouch surfing the forums for new stuff. I have a small cake with a cupcake tower due tomorrow night so I took tonight off! Busy cake week and I was ready for a break!

Welcome to CC and this is leah_s thread, poor thing she is soooooooo busy and needed to get sleep but feel free to jump in at anytime

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:18am
post #55 of 81

I'm working on a 4 tier anniversary cake. Crumbcoating done, in the fridge.

Getting ready to make a batch of Michelle's Fondant. I made my first batch last week, thought it was good. Have been working on flowers with it all week. It was off-white, but the recipe says it will be, so thought nothing of it. I made another batch tdday, and next to the first, it is pure white!!

I know I didn't let the hot mixture cool enough last week. I also used PS from Aldi's. Today I did let everything cool, and used PS from Sam's. Would those differences have affected the color so much?

So I first thought to mix them together, but then decided to just make more, and save the first for coloring for another project. Better get it going!!!

tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:21am
post #56 of 81

Texas_Rose is she going to be a monster bride or a bride, my daughter went one year as a monster bride

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:21am
post #57 of 81

Kneadacookie, your cake is beautiful!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:30am
post #58 of 81

Tonight I am working on an oval strawberry shortcake, and making some gumpaste flowers and gelatin butterflies for a birthday cake due tomorrow. Its gonna be a late night!

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:34am
post #59 of 81

Hello all.

I just got home from delivering a dairy-free Storm Trooper cake. It was for a girl I work with and she'd wanted to come pick it up at 7:30 tomorrow morning, when she got off work, midnights. Since I've eaten far too much icing to fall asleep at a decent hour, I figured I'd drop it off for her at work and let myself sleep in tomorrow. Yay! And she paid me $5 more than I'd quoted her, so yay again!

Tomorrow I've got a fairly simple cake for a Mexican fiesta party - white 8" round with cacti around the side and chili peppers on top. DH made me custom cactus and pepper cookie cutters last night, so my fondant work should be a breeze. This one's pre-paid in full, with a $5 tip (I really have to raise my prices.. everyone keeps over-paying me!! icon_biggrin.gif )

Lots of good caking, nice weather, my dog, who was sick all week, is 100% back to normal and I got to say hi at Friday Night Cake Club - great day for me! Now .. bed! Nite all.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:42am
post #60 of 81

Anyone still awake? Tonight I'm working on NOTHING and it feels so good to have a break finally! I'm going to take a shower and hit the sack so I can get plenty of rest for the upcoming week when I do have a bunch of stuff to work on!

Have a great weekend and I hope all your customers love your kick-@ss cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%