Really Really Need Help With A Design Idea.....

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:04am by TitiaM

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 17

I have been thinking on this one for almost a week and I am still at a loss!

I have a friend's daughter who is turning 6 and she is having an "all my favorite things" party - meaning all of Kaitlyn's favorite things - she sent me a list and I CANNOT figure out how to make this cake. It does not have to have all the elements on it, but I wanted to try to get as many on as possible.

I was thinking of making a 10 inch and a 6 inch round - I can do fondant/gumpaste modeling (but I don't want to go overboard with that since I am running out of time)

here is the list of things that she loves:

She likes...
A Jesus cross
ballerina shoes
butterflies
a soccer ball
spider man
sharks
a dinosaur (T-Rex)
a spider - she likes Mrs. Spider from the book and TV show
She likes Princess Aurora
balloon
flower
heart
ladybug

(also I need to point out my completely irrational fear of spiders and all things spider related - I mean I actually have a hard time typing the word "spider" - so we WILL definately be leaving those off!)

her favorite colors are pink and blue - HELP .................. PLEASE!!

16 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 17

If you are not completely set on doing the rounds, you could do a toybox with the lid open with a number of items coming out of the box. For example, have the toybox with the Cross on the top and the sides decorated with hearts, balloons, etc and then the soccer ball, dinosaur, flowers, etc coming out of the box. You could do the ballerina slippers in gumpaste and have them in front of the toybox, with a butterfly sitting on them. Just a thought....

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 17

I found this online... I know you said you wanted to leave Miss Spider off, but I think a scene like this would make it really easy to add butterflies, a soccor ball, balloons, hearts, flowers and ladybugs. My daughter loves Miss Spider, and I think she's a lot cuter than creepy. I'm sure you won't like my idea, but I thought I would throw it out there.
LL

janelwaters Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 17

I LOVE the toy box idea!! That is so brilliant!!! I'm going to get modeling tonight so everything will be dry!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

(and the miss spider is a NOT HAPPENING IN THIS LIFETIME!! I told you it was completely irrational - but I hate ALL of it - I won't even let my 3 yo watch that show and she doesn't know "the itsy bitsy spider" song either! I know.... I have problems!)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 17

A charm bracelet in a bracelet box cake. Make little flat versions of each item (think chocolate transfers or color flow) and pipe a jump ring on top of each. Then pipe a chain that you paint silver or gold, to look like a chain in the box.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 17

even a giant lady bug with her wings open with the other elements and toys hanging off of them or around her

janelwaters Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 17

OK - back to square one - i ran the toy box idea by her and she doesn't like it - she really really wants a 2 tier cake - HELP! PLEASE!!!

I just really want a design instead of it looking like I just jammed a bunch of random stuff on there.

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 17

u could do the 3 tiers of soccorball on bottom then the lady bug and a cute heart on top. or if shew ants ike traditional round tiered cake u could make the patterns pokodot like a ladybug

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 17

What about a petal-shaped bottom tier with a heart shaped top tier? Maybe princess Aurora topper, random ladybugs and butterflies, balloons on wires shooting from the top...that's all I've got. Some of these are so off-the-wall that you'd need two separate cakes to get them all.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 17

I'm no help at all... but wanted to offer my sympathies because I have the same problem with my cake as you are having with this one!!

I am supposed to make a cake for my son's friend's daughter. She will be 2 and I am doing this as a gift from my son. These people want me to make Dora the Explorer, but like you I wanted to do a scene, and not just cram a bunch of stuff on it.

If she likes Princess Aurora... you could use the wonder ball pan make a large Princess Aurora, and then use the min wonder ball pan and the 3 fairy godmothers around her.....

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 17

Okay this might sound a little bizarre, but it just might work. icon_smile.gif

For the bottom tier, it would be a scene of an island in a body of water. Princess Aurora is trapped on the island with a T-Rex, but not to worry. Spiderman is leaning over the top tier of the cake, saving the princess (wearing blue ballet slippers to match her dress, of course)! The top tier could have flowers, butterflies, and ladybugs around the sides, made small so they look like they're naturally in a grassy field. The top could have more grass with a couple of little kids in their soccer uniforms, neglecting the ball and pointing to the Spiderman scene. Maybe put a small church with a cross at the top of the steeple in the distance. Or maybe Spiderman could be in a hot air balloon, coming to the rescue. I don't know. This is definitely a tough one to fit everything into a coherent scene. Maybe something in here can give you an idea for part of the cake.

letsgetcaking Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 17

Oh, I almost forgot! The water on the bottom tier is full of shark fins poking out the top. We must have the shark-infested waters!

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #13 of 17

You could make some of the items in simple fondant cutouts for the sides, with some basic painting and then a few special items modeled for the top and on the ledge. Should still be cute, but less work than modeling everything.

janelwaters Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 17

Ok - the cake pic is finally posted and the family LOVED it - I'm still not 100% sure of the cake, but I don't think that I could have done it any better.

After I dropped the cake off my friend added some of Kaitlyn's toys - the princesses and the spiderman - I'm not a fan of having non-edible items on cakes, but I think it was fine this time!

letsgetcaking Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #15 of 17

I'm so glad you posted the finished product. You did an amazing job! I didn't know how anyone could pull that off and make it look good, but you did it! Congratulations!

janelwaters Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #16 of 17

Thank you so much!! I made that cake and the hello kitty cake for my daughter's birthday on the same night - I had a complete and total nervous breakdown - I am so glad that it turned out as good as it did.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #17 of 17

It turned out really cute! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%