Ever Been Up All Night

Lounge By prterrell Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm by mkolmar

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:27am
post #1 of 21

The night before you had to start on a cake?

Well, I have been, because I just.couldn't.sleep. icon_evil.gif

I hate having insomnia! icon_mad.gif

Today's gonna be a long day. icon_cry.gif

20 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:55am
post #2 of 21

Last Thanksgiving I was up for 3 days straight with no sleep in between. I had so many cake orders and not to mention the desserts I had to make for our family dinner. I didn't enjoy Thanksgiving at all with my family...while everyone was enjoying dinner I was catching up on some much needed sleep.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 21

I stayed up ALMOST all night to do a cake once. It was 10 pm and I decided I needed to start over. My DH had to go to the store to buy more ingredients and everything. I slept while the cakes cooled, then slept a little more while the settled.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 21

I've stayed up a whole night working on a cake. I completely procrastinated on my niece's first birthday because I HATED the green eggs and ham theme icon_sad.gif From a caker's view it was sloppy, but everyone at the party loved it. I slept in the car on the way to the party and on the way home, and then went right to bed!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Last Thanksgiving I was up for 3 days straight with no sleep in between. I had so many cake orders and not to mention the desserts I had to make for our family dinner. I didn't enjoy Thanksgiving at all with my family...while everyone was enjoying dinner I was catching up on some much needed sleep.

I did that one year and was informed that if I ever pulled a stunt like that again I'd be the one being served for the Thanksgiving meal and the turkey would get to live. icon_lol.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolynlovescake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

I did that one year and was informed that if I ever pulled a stunt like that again I'd be the one being served for the Thanksgiving meal and the turkey would get to live. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 21

I have a condition that made sleeping almost impossible (RLS). For years and years if I got 2-4 hours a night it was a blessing! I was never sooooooo glad to be able to take medication to help me thru. Now I usually get 6-8 hours regularly.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 21

I usually stay up all night, cake or not...but this year my kids get out at different times, one at 11 and the other at 3 so sleeping while they're in school like I usually do is out of the question. So today I went and bought a coffee pot with a timer on it so I will have something to get out of bed for...I don't usually drink coffee, but I can't have soda anymore because of the phosphoric acid and I quit smoking two years ago, so I think I'll start drinking coffee again...we all need some vice, even a minor one icon_razz.gif

But I have had that feeling before where it's hard to sleep because it feels like it's time to get started on the cake. Usually I will take two benadryl and get the rest I need anyhow. And I've gotten to where I only get the cake insomnia when it's something big or complicated for a non-relative.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 21

I have insomnia issues. It makes functioning so hard on the days/weeks when I can't sleep. My mom now takes an over the counter vitamin that is suppose to help you sleep. She says it works. I'll ask here what it is later tonight. I have to buy it for myself also.
I hope everything goes well with your cake.

beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #10 of 21

Being a night person by nature, I have stayed up late baking many times, but never pulled an all-nighter for a cake. However, I am a resident physician specializing in emergency Medicine and work rotating shifts throughout the month. When I am rotating in the ICU or on the trauma service I am on call for 30 hours every 3-4 nights plus working regular 11-12 days in between. This works about to about 80 hours/week. Fortunately I only have one more call month left in my residency! These are the new "restricted" hours for residents that were enacted after a lawsuit following a patients death secondary to a resident's fatigue. While much of medicine is learned by being at the patient's bedside, it isi insane that myself and other doctors are required to care for patients when we are so sleep deprived.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:17am
post #11 of 21

When I make my cakes, I'm usually up straight for more than 48 hours.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I have insomnia issues. It makes functioning so hard on the days/weeks when I can't sleep. My mom now takes an over the counter vitamin that is suppose to help you sleep. She says it works. I'll ask here what it is later tonight. I have to buy it for myself also.

Well it's not a vitamin but it's an over the counter herb, Valerian?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #13 of 21

i do the same thing...i actually thought i was the only one! icon_eek.gif

i'm glad i'm not alone!! icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:01am
post #14 of 21

Melatonin?

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:04am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Well it's not a vitamin but it's an over the counter herb, Valerian?

Maybe it's melatonin. Which works well but can cause some really weird dreams. It's also not a good thing to take if you're trying to conceive, just in case anyone is.

For those of y'all who take valerien, what does it smell like to you? I've bought some before but just can't get past that initial whiff when I open the bottle.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:13am
post #16 of 21

Oh yeah valerian stinks but dude it's the bomb! I not only use it to sleep but also as an occasional calmer downer type non-prescription tranquilizer. One or two depending --I don't drive --I make sure I'm already wherever I gotta go or I don't go out.

-- I stayed with my Mom when she was in intensive care for three weeks once and, Girlfriend, I took that stuff e.v.e.r.y. day. Mom was the one in the bed but man I was messed up.

I love that stuff--great sleep aid too.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #17 of 21

K8, have you ever taken kava kava? Talk about relaxation...it seems to help with muscle spasms too...

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:29am
post #18 of 21

Tex- Really! No I've never heard of it. But I'll look for it!! Thanks

Evey coupla years, I get a debilitating muscle spasm in my back--can't hardly even breathe-- lasts for a few days. Very good to know. Thanks again.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:40am
post #19 of 21

It doesn't knock you out like prescription muscle relaxers either. Look it up before you buy some, because there are some warnings about it. I've taken it occasionally for 6 years with no problems but there was a study in Germany that seemed to show that it caused liver damage, but they didn't take into account the alcohol that the study participants consumed on a daily basis. Usually when I take it, I take milk thistle too just in case.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 4:48am
post #20 of 21

Gotcha--cool.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:58pm
post #21 of 21

Melatonin -- That's what my mom takes.

Just caught up on the rest of this thread. I've just been suffering with lack of sleep, but good to know there is more options.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%