Cropped Corner Cake - Shape And Servings?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm by JuneHawk

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I have a bride that wants a 3 tier cropped corner cake - not hexagon, cropped corner. I've attached a picture of what she sent (which is a Martha cake, she doesn't want this design, but this shape).

I am assuming that it is a square with the corners cut off....am I right? If so, how do I get each cake symmetrical....so each corner angle is the same? Ane how do I figure out how many servings you get from each?

Thanks for your help in advance!
LL

4 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

When carving cakes it's really useful to make a template. I would make a square of the cake size you are using and fold it into quarters, then draw a line for the corner and cut along it. When you open out your template you then have perfect symmetrical corners! Use coloured (clean) pins to attach to the top of the cake so it doesn't move as you carve. I use a set square when I carve straight edges to guide my knife.

Depending on how deep the corner is, I would take off about 2 servings per quarter, but I don't think that this is an exact science.

Hope this helps, good luck

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 5

anyone else? Anyone done one of these cropped corner cakes?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 5

i just did a single layer - it's in my pix.
I just cut the corners off. Measure how far back from the corner you want each size - like 2 or 3" ; then measure how far back into the cake you want to go. I really don't remember but once I cut one corner I used the cut off piece to cut all the rest. I was using styro. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1417249

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 5

They make cake pans like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%