M.o.b. Refused My Cake!

Decorating By 1dessertdiva Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 3:22am by Cricketina

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #61 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

the more i think about it and my personality.

that MOB and the groom too, the snert, would have been wearing that cake!

lol - now there's one I haven't heard - "snert..."

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:36pm
post #62 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Quote:

the more i think about it and my personality.

that MOB and the groom too, the snert, would have been wearing that cake!

lol - now there's one I haven't heard - "snert..."

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1571/what-is-a-snert
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SNERT
http://www.netlingo.com/word/SNERT.php

Notice that all focus on very self-centered bad behavior.

I believe the modern terms when applied to caking are Bridezillas and Momzillas; "snert" being more properly applied to males, the groom in this case.

I used to be a tutor in the Academic Assistance Center that AOL ran for several years (AAC PrfDoug) and that's where I picked up the use of that term.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #63 of 184

What an awful thing to happen! So, either the MOB is nutty - she's out to ruin her daughter's wedding with no cake or a last-minute grocery store cake? Huh? or that bride was the all time bridezilla of the world and MOB was terrified of her..... if the MOB is that bad, what is the Bride like? Yikes... You may have dodged a literal bullet! That being said, please no refunds.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #64 of 184

Wow! If I had been the bride and my mom and groom sent that cake back without consulting me, they would have been a greasy spot (or 2!) on the floor. I do agree that television shows reward bad behaviour and our culture now demands perfection or off to court we go. What a shame. I am sorry that you had to deal with this and I do wish your GD a very happy birthday.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #65 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dessertdiva

Hi All,

Thanks for the empathy! I feel the need to clarify a few things... it will not be detailed as I am on my way back to work. I own a Catering and cake design co., I am currently on day 33 of NO days off. Friday I got 3 hours sleep then put in a long horrify day on the day the event happened. I would not waste my time posting something that was not true, as I value my down time, I was just in total shock because I have heard of things like this but new it would always happen to the "Other guy".
Yes it was my grand daughters bday on 8-2-09 the wedding was 8-01-09, I made my GD an oreo cookies and cream cake that looked like a giant cookie, I also had a wedding the morning of my gd's bday but paid my staff to take over so I would not miss yet another bday, my assistant suggested since the cake was just going to go to the mission wouldn't it be better to give it to her? ( why on earth would I lie about that? )I am saddened by the fact that people on this forum (some) would be so quick to take a cynical view of a post I made, I would not waste my time or yours , and my information is visible to all, including my business info, I have been a member for 3 years and hardly post because I am busy working, I would not waste the time to tarnish the name of my business and embaress myself.
Thank you for listening

WOW!!!! Since when do we need to defend ourselves???!!!!! There may have been bad posts in the past, that doesn't mean we should "attack" other posts with the insinuation that they are false! HOW HURTFUL!!!! My daughters birthday was the 30th and I had a wedding the 1st. I would have given the cake to my daughter for "her birthday". Would that have made me a liar?!

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #66 of 184

I am interested to see what the Bride had to say. A crooked cake is better than a store bought cake FOR MY WEDDING!. Diva maybe you should have saved the cake and told them it was available for pick-up as soon as they were done having their tantrum. Technically, they still owe you or at least owe you half.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:03pm
post #67 of 184

Some people are just nuts. I worked at walmart for six years and nothing surprises me anymore. My supervisor offered me a spot working at the service once and I told her I could not. That I wanted to keep my job, and not be fired for yelling at some idiot for trying to return something they broke or used or any other crazy reason. After that I was put to work in the back. I guess she knew I wasn't joking.

Some crazies will try anything.

I hope the MOB does not make a bigger mess for you.

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #68 of 184

Congrats on your successful business, Diva! What a dream!
Like others, i'm sorry you had to go through that, and i PRAY it never happens to me!!

Picture or none, i'm sure your work is awesome (or you wouldn't have a successful business!)!

I've had a few negative responses myself on CC. I just sign off, and find something better to do for a while. I guess some people just can't help it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:43pm
post #69 of 184
Quote:

hmmmm...

and is anyone with me on the concept that all these reality shows are just adding fuel to the fire of totally outrageous self-absorbed behavior?

Yes. Yes I am with you! "Paris Hilton Syndrome"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

So, either the MOB is nutty - she's out to ruin her daughter's wedding with no cake or a last-minute grocery store cake?

Based on my background of coming from a complete psycho family, I say MOB is one of those powerless women who likes to THINK she's the almighty powerful. Ruining her daughter's wedding is secondary to her desire to show all of her little friends how she "by god just TOLD that cake baker how it was going to be! I told her to just get it out of here! We'd have grocery store cake before we ate that crap!" (Wow, are we ALL impressed now?)

I describe one family member's priority as: "It's not important that she be right.....it's more important to her that you be wrong." It's not relevent whether she's actually right or wrong .... her whole purpose is to belittle other people. It's the only way she can feel "big".

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #70 of 184

No one has "ATTACKED" the op. I was questioning and I have EVERY right to express my concerns or curiosity about anything I want. I don't have the right to be rude or nasty and I wasn't and nor was anyone else. For those who had a problem with people wondering about the op's thread,quit being so overly sensitive and get a grip.

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #71 of 184

Just like that!

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:00pm
post #72 of 184

Your right, just like that.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #73 of 184

Any one want some cake????

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #74 of 184

Absolutely. I am about to go eat a chocolate cupcake filled with fresh strawberries and strawberry SMBC right noe. icon_biggrin.gif

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #75 of 184

Hi All,
I hate drama ( I know I am a Caterer I should be used to the stresssss)
So, super quick upload, a picture off the camera of my assistant with some details: the original cake was a Martha, peach, fondant, peach crimped ribbon, in the magazine with the butterflies all over it (I did that cake too) however the bride changed it to: chocolate brown fondant, pink ribbon with white border top & bottom (brown shows through) not crimped but flat)
Again, while I was there being verbally abused by MOM I repeatedly stated I would do any of the following : remove ribbon and hand pipe, add flowers, add beads add whatever she wanted, I would not have recommended her choices, however they were her choices.
LL
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #76 of 184

Oh, well, yeah .... I can TOTALLY see how a cake like this just RUINED the ENTIRE wedding day for this chic!! Oh the shame of it all! (lay back of hand against forehead and lean back in a feining faint)

(for those who dont yet know me .... I'm kidding! It's sarcasm!)
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

alvarezmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #77 of 184

Dive I love the butterfly cake...How did you do the butterflies? I personally dont care to much for the ribbon. In response to the MOB telling you her daughter would vomit at the site of the cake.. I would have brought over a plate and told her "One order of bride vomit coming up". Her daughter ordered the cake... Some people are impossible to please.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #78 of 184

That sucks. So sorry for ya Diva.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #79 of 184

Uhm. Not really sure what to think?

LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #80 of 184

YOur butterflies are beautuiful. I don't think the other cake is horrible, though I do think the ribbon ia a little big. If thats what the bride wanted, then thats what she wanted. As I said the first time, DO NOT give a refund.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #81 of 184

What is wrong with people. If the cake was made to the couple's specific instructions, who is she to demand that you remove the cake.

I wonder what the couple did when it came time to cut the cake and they discovered that it was a nasty grocery store abomination? Is the MOB going to sit there and say that you never delivered a cake and that MOB was forced to run out and buy one?

alvarezmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:03pm
post #82 of 184

Has the Bride called you yet?

caketease Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketease Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #83 of 184

I am so sorry that you had to experience that. Some people are so TACTLESS icon_mad.gif . Please keep your head up. thumbs_up.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #84 of 184

I think the butterfly cake is beautiful. The ribbon cake...looks like a little more time could have been spent on it. It is not placed evenly on each layer, and I see several bubbles. Maybe it is the lighting?

Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #85 of 184

looks like another clause for the generic boiler plate contract:

<name of bakery> will not, under any circumstances, be responsible for supplying any ribbons, crystals, or other similar hard goods decorative items for use to adorn the cake. All such items must be purchased by the bride and supplied to <name of bakery> at least two weeks prior to the event.

Further, <name of bakery> having used and applied said hard good items to the cake as specified and agreed upon in this contract, will not be held liable or determined to be in failure to perform as contracted, if said hard good decorative items are later deemed by the bride or her agent to in any way compromise, clash with or impair the agreed and contracted design. The bride shall not be entitled to any discount or refund based upon such conditions.

---
edited to clean up a few typos (as usual!)

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:10pm
post #86 of 184

Even if there were imperfections, it takes one stuck up princess to let a cake like that ruin your whole wedding day, not to mention the vomit extravaganza the mom said there'd be.

Any updates?

Doug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:12pm
post #87 of 184

and while we're at it:

maybe modify contracts so ONLY the bride or her agent who must ALSO SIGN the contract are the only ones who can saying anything to us upon the delivery of the cake about it's "fitness" for delivery?

alvarezmom Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:16pm
post #88 of 184
Quote:

and while we're at it:

maybe modify contracts so ONLY the bride or her agent who must ALSO SIGN the contract are the only ones who can saying anything to us upon the delivery of the cake about it's "fitness" for delivery?

This is a good one to have!!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:19pm
post #89 of 184

Ribbons are hard to do. I think she was wickedly mean and insulting. So sorry you are going through this. In your defense you made what was ordered. The bride saw your work prior(?) and was happy to order from you. I think the MOB over stepped. Maybe in the future if all parties that are paying should be in on the consultations and they all could see a sketch of what they are describing. Some people have a hard time explaining what their vision is and poorly translate it and then they don't get what they wanted. And some people see their own vision despite what is being described so a sketch that could be initialled and agreed upon would take all that uncertainty out of the equasion for you. I am curious as to what the Bride will say with all that happened. The whole story is such a shame. I like the clause exluding any crap from anyone other than the ordering party! thumbs_up.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:28pm
post #90 of 184

Honestly, I can see why they were unhappy. Not THAT unhappy, but not thrilled. The cake is leaning (so is the butterfly one) and it is a little messy. The ribbon placement isn't uniform on each tier...

I don't know. The cake isn't great. But the MOB had no right to treat you the way she did, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%