Don't Leave Cake Uncovered

Decorating By sunshine_n_pc Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:13am by madgeowens

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:56am
post #31 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I'm only allergic to cats because I have asthma and it flares up. So I can touch a cat but I have to wash my hands right away or use benedryl. And the reason why I responded the way I did because:
1. that looks like a lot of cake missing just for a cat taking a few bites.
2 She mentioned that she used ganache and I know that pets usually get sick if they eat too much and she didnt mention anything else about the cat
3. I just found the whole story strange

You all can't honestly tell me that you can't remember that someone on this site has created identities to write stories they knew were controversal and had everyone on here arguing all to find out the story was fake just to start trouble. That is why I said I hope it's not one of those again. And a lot of the times the dead give away was that they were newbies.

I am in no way saying that the OP is one of those I'm just saying that it has happened in the past. Just pointing out a fact.

That is a lot of cake missing, but I've seen cats eat a lot more than that, and a lot stranger than that, without getting sick. We had one cat that ate an entire foot-long sub, sweet peppers and all, just leaving the onions behind, without getting sick. I've seen another eat an entire loaf of bread except for the crusts--just a hole out of the middle of each slice--without getting sick. We have a cat now that will drink half a pot of tea on his own, once it cools down, and will stuff himself on, of all things, cabbage and vinegar if he gets the chance. So it doesn't seem that strange to me as a story.

Your claims about the asthma and cake seem strange to me, though, because I just can't see how the UNTOUCHED portion of the cake is supposed to trigger your asthma/allergy if being in the same house with the cat doesn't.

Yeah, I've noticed people starting threads just to get attention in the past. I've also noticed people jumping into threads to start trouble to get attention. I haven't particularly noticed that being new is a dead giveaway that a person is either type.

k8memphis--is there a cat that DOESN'T love boxes? *laughing* We make kitty condos out of shipping boxes for ours. A box knife and some sturdy tape, and there's a toy for the cat for MONTHS. And a large paper bag is apparently IRRESISTIBLE to our cats. Empty or not!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:11am
post #32 of 103

Karema is absolutly correct

We can sit here and be nice about the story..it is funny however, is ok if she wants to eat it with her kids but serve the cake at the party is a little to much for me.

So that means that if you are baking a cake for a customer and your cat or dog or rat or pig gets in it is ok to just cover up the piece or cut it and just decorate it and sell it to your customer?

I'm sorry that is just not sanitary.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #33 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Nor do I find it unreasonable to expect other people to keep their noses out of what I do in my house for my family, when they're not even part of it.

If you choose to post your family business here, then you have no right to expect members to hold their tongues about their feelings on that business. By posting, you effectively rub their noses in that business.

Quote:

So I don't see why, if the people who were THERE were okay with it, someone a couple hundred miles away, sitting behind an anonymous keyboard, feels like they have the right to pass judgment on what happened.

You simply cannot expect that only those who agree with you will post responses.

H***, those who make posts that can be interpreted as being OK with this are "passing judgement", albeit positive judgements........so, should NO ONE POST A RESPONSE OR ONLY THOSE WHO AREN'T BOTHERED BY THE POST???????????

For some, it simply boggles the mind that the OP AND HER GUESTS would be OK with this.
Those offended by it have the right to that opinion and the right to express that opinion, just as much as the OP, her guests, and her forum supporters have the right to be OK with the scenario.

Everyone probably has a line that they won't cross--I hope.
For me, repairing a dinged cake is one thing, but trying to determine what portion of an animal eaten cake is OK to serve to others is another--in my mind, that's what trash cans and quick runs to WalMart are for.....

Rae

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #34 of 103

OK......First....the OP TOLD her family/guests what happened and they were OK with it. She didn't just serve them the cake without telling them what happened.

Second......she did NOT say it was OK for a cat to lick or eat a cake and then turn around and SELL that cake. She is NOT in business, she's just relaying a story that happened to her at her house to a family cake.

Can we PLEASE just let this go. icon_rolleyes.gif I feel like a referee now..........

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #35 of 103

Even if the cake was just for her family. It is totally unsanitary to serve a cake that a cat has licked over. How in the world can you say where the cat didn't lick and at what time. I think it's discusting. Yes it's funny but I would not have served that cake. It would have been tossed. Now, just my opinion.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #36 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc

not in business - just saying, if I ever did think about it, I don't think I could do it - too stressful

Cake was for family and friends - way more cake than we needed - it just seemed to grow as I was doing it. I ended up cutting about a 1/3 of the cake off and then just turned it to the back. Cat just ate on the front - no one turned down cake or seemed squimish. Guess some people might have had issues with it.

Even she admits some people may have had ISSUES with it so why is it so wrong that I pointed it out? I just would be one of those people that had an ISSUE with it so what.

Yankie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #37 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

OK......First....the OP TOLD her family/guests what happened and they were OK with it. She didn't just serve them the cake without telling them what happened.

Second......she did NOT say it was OK for a cat to lick or eat a cake and then turn around and SELL that cake. She is NOT in business, she's just relaying a story that happened to her at her house to a family cake.

Can we PLEASE just let this go. icon_rolleyes.gif I feel like a referee now..........

DId the guests have a choice? I'm sure they were saying "we don't want any"

To say that she is not in business makes it ok? Are you in business? because if you are I would be a little concern that you think that's ok.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:28am
post #38 of 103

seriously?!!!! i just read this entire thread and am quite amused, lol. it takes all kinds to make a world, haha.

i personally think that is discusting, but diddo whoever said "each to their own" or however that went. as long as they knew before hand it was their choice. if they wanted to eat it, more power to them. my 10 month old puts worse in his mouth every day, lol. if you didn't tell them first, however, that would of course be a whole nuther story.

a bit of advice though, if you have pets int he house, you should definately cover the cake somehow. for that cake i would have suggested leaving the topper off and putting a box over it. if you are worried the cat will move the box, you can put just about anything heavy on top of it to serve as a weight. i do feel sorry for you that you did all that work and it got smashed. i would be so disapointed, but luckily everyone took it well and you have something to laugh about later.

and for my 2 cents, lol icon_smile.gif ... no offense, but leaving a cake out knowing you have pets is pretty much asking for it.

Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:29am
post #39 of 103

edit because it posted before I was through typing and previewing. See below

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #40 of 103

5, 4, 3, 2, 1.......boom! I predict this thread will be closed soon. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #41 of 103

joffy,

i don't usually get into the arguments but i couldn't pass up this one icon_smile.gif

i was just looking at your last post and you first said something about whether or not the guests knew beforehand... you SHOULD go back and read before passing judgement because she made it VERY clear that they did know... and as to your assuming they would be saying"i don't want any" you absolutely cannot know the opinions of every human being. that sounds extremely narrow minded. i personally think that is discusting but i could make a list of people who would have gladly ate it. sorry, but you can't speak for the entire population ...and again, if you would have actually read the whole post, it was very clear that they knew and ate it anyway, so of course once again you are just plain wrong icon_smile.gif

yamber82 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #42 of 103

oh and i have to add to the part where you asked "do they have a choice" sorry but i have to laugh at that. that's halarious!!! i mean, seriously? what are you picturing? did you think she duct-taped their hadns and feet and forced caked down their throats via a tube? haha icon_smile.gif

EVERYONE has a choice, this is not a monarchy run by angry cakers, lol

Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:47am
post #43 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

DId the guests have a choice? I'm sure they were saying "we don't want any"

To say that she is not in business makes it ok? Are you in business? because if you are I would be a little concern that you think that's ok.

OK Now I'm done being nice. You are obviously ignorant....read my first response to this thread. In it I clearly stated that........
PETS AND FOOD DO NOT MIX....now do you understand my position?

Yes I am in BUSINESS.... You'll NEVER find a CLEANER MORE SANITARY HOUSE THEN MINE.....and I have a separate licensed kitchen with a door and a lock on it. NOBODY but me is allowed in there, NOBODY EVER NO EXCEPTIONS, NOT EVEN MY DH.

Frankly I also find it gross that children are allowed to get to cakes that are being made for a paying client. This is why so many professionals are against licensing home bakers. They think all of us allow our kitchens to be taken over by pets and children. Stories like this just add fuel to their arguments.

I NEVER EVER SAID THAT I WAS OK WITH WHAT SHE DID. If she wants to serve the cake that's her choice and her business. I don't agree with it and if she were selling it I would have a bigger problem with it, but she's not selling it.

Hopefully you get it now.

Yankie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:49am
post #44 of 103

I'm not saying that the guest did not know..that is why i said that they were saying "they didn't want any".

Listen, to I understand the story, it is funny and all..but we can't sit here and think that is all cute and forget that is simply nasty.

I have the rights to my opinion..and if someone that is license will defend the story then I have to question that.

DKELLY, thinks that I was being rude to her..that was not my intention. When you post your comments saying " Oh she told the guests" or "she is not in business" then it makes me think that they would do the same.

I'm Sorry to DKELLY....didn't mean to offend you.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:49am
post #45 of 103

Geeze this is sure getting "catty" hahahaha...

just for the talley books, I agree its disgusting to serve that cake to anyone....sorry it happened.....now make another.........bleeck petooey

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:51am
post #46 of 103

Gross pet stories:

1) I was at a friends house one time and she cut up some cheese and crackers and put them on the island in her kitchen. I pulled up a stool and we were chatting and her cat hopped up on the island. then she met the cat. then the cat laid down on the island and put it's little paw up on the plate and whacked the cracker a little bit. She kept on eating! I stopped.

2) First Thanksgiving with my inlaws, prior to them being my inlaws, we get to their house and the thanksgiving ham is sitting there. His mom tells me the DOG ate half the ham, but she cut off the end he chewed on, washed it off, and put it back in the oven "to kill the germs". She told everyone the story and I am the only person who did not eat the ham!!! can you believe it?!

The thing about this post to me is this, everyone is different. If you told me that story and served the cake, I would not run screaming from the house, but I would politely decline and say I was full or something... But, I can see a lot of other people that have come and gone in my life laughing and chowing right now.

We had some friends over for dinner tonight and were talking about restaurants. I was telling them that I went to this mexican place that I just love at the beginning of May and I scooped up a big chip of salsa and right in it was a black hair, and I have not been back since. Just thinking about it makes me gag a bit. It's such a shame, this is/was my absolute favorite restaurant. So this one guy we had over was like, really? you're crazy, I would have pulled it out and kept eating, doesn't bother me. So, to each his own!

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #47 of 103

Seriously, guys? :/

Somewhere right now on this forum, someone is looking for some REAL feedback. And that's my opinion.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:56am
post #48 of 103

I just had to say one more thing after having my laugh, Remember she said she didn't think the dog ate it because he would have ate more. So The dog and the cat might have enjoyed the cake along with the guest.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #49 of 103
Quote:

...also, is it possible that it was not animal activity that got at the cake, but child hands? Or husband hands? Because that IS a fair ammount for a cat to have chewed off.

THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!!! Yes I just yelled that icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

When I said it was an awfully hungry cat, I was thinking that that didn't look like cat damage to me....

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #50 of 103

I wouldn't of ate this cake though if the cat/dog got into it..but nice cake anyways..very pretty and good job.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:01am
post #51 of 103

OK, to lighten this up a bit, here's my story:

I got married nearly two years ago and our niece wanted to make us a cake for the reception (she's an up-and-coming professional plus it's perfectly normal in Germany to have people bring a variety of cakes, just FYI). I had told her I was making one but she did two anyway. She's so sweet.

Well, this family also has two dogs so they came in their RV and left the dogs in there during the ceremony. During picture-taking my brother-in-law was suddenly missing and looking very guilty when he came back. He had forgotten to put one of the dogs in its carrier and it had gone to town on one of the cakes (the one that wouldn't fit in a box) and licked half the whipped cream off it! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif My niece was furious and I felt so bad for her. Now, nearly two years later, we can laugh about it! And apparently the dog was pretty gassy the whole next day (serves it right!). The consolation: she was the one to catch the bouquet that night icon_smile.gif

No, the cake wasn't served. But thank goodness they got a picture of it! It certainly makes for a memory. I heard that the other one she made (banana cream) was delicious. I think I was so distracted I didn't even get a chance to try it.

I'd have to agree with OP - don't leave cakes uncovered! And it's amazing what animals will eat (my cat LOVED corn and chili!).

jenny
LL

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #52 of 103

My picture didn't attach!
I'll try it again...

(whoops - sorry! I guess it did! Just took a moment to show up. I think I got this figured out now!)
LL

Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #53 of 103
Quote:

DKELLY, thinks that I was being rude to her..that was not my intention. When you post your comments saying " Oh she told the guests" or "she is not in business" then it makes me think that they would do the same.

Can you show me where I said you were "being rude to her"? I just reread my post that you are referring to and I NEVER made that comment.

You need to stop reading between the lines and stop interpreting what people ACTUALLY write into what you THINK they're writing.

This has completely gotten out of hand. I'm starting to think this site has been taken over by a bunch of school children on summer break icon_rolleyes.gif It's not even fun here anymore.....I'm WAY too old for these childish games.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #54 of 103

sooooo....if you're allergic to cats, does that mean you're allergic to tigers, and lions too??? icon_lol.gif

Yankie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:09am
post #55 of 103

By the way you took my comments I FEEL that you thought I was being rude.

You know what? this is stupid now..I'm apologizing to you...I"M SORRY..can we just move on.

I'm not here to make enemies....Can you accept my apology so I can go to bed in peace?

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #56 of 103

sooooo....if you're allergic to cats, does that mean you're allergic to tigers, and lions too??? icon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:14am
post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc

I made this cake (pic 1) for my daughter's 6th birthday - we just adopted her and her 2 siblings in May - I wanted to make this birthday special. ...icon_smile.gif

I think you're an angel disguised as a mild mannered cake decorator.

I agree! What a wonderful person you are to welcome three children into your home and heart. Cat spit or no, your children are lucky to have you as a parent who wants to make their birthday a special moment. That cake and cat story will most likely become a precious part of your family legend that you all laugh about together for years to come.

BTW, I would've just cut it off, warned my family so they wouldn't eat it if they didn't want it, and served it, too. Considering what most people are willing to put into their bodies, I think we get a bit hysterical about a few germs from a pet.

Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:14am
post #58 of 103
Quote:

By the way you took my comments I FEEL that you thought I was being rude.

You know what? this is stupid now..I'm apologizing to you...I"M SORRY..can we just move on.

I'm not here to make enemies....Can you accept my apology so I can go to bed in peace?

Yes apology accepted........sleep tight! icon_wink.gif

Yankie Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:16am
post #59 of 103

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #60 of 103

Ruth, Amen! I would've done exactly the same thing. (If it was just a family cake like this one) I know people who wouldn't care and folks who would run screaming. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

Oh, oh, wait, can you hear the music?

All we need is love,,, da da da da da, all we need is love,,, da, da, da, da, da...

Sweet dreams everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%