Help With Yellow Cake, Please!

Decorating By HollyPJ Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 3:12pm by fytar

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:35am
post #1 of 12

I posted the following on one of the recipe threads, but I think this thread gets more traffic!:

Hi!

I'm making my niece's wedding cake next week. I recently tried a Cake Mix Doctor yellow cake recipe that was delicious and I'd like to use it for the wedding, but when I baked it in 8-inch layers, it fell in the middle a little bit. I need to tweak the recipe, or choose a new one, because if it sinks in an 8-inch pan, there's no way it will work in a 14-inch!

Here's the recipe:

Basic Sour Cream Yellow Cake

1 plain yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

I'm wondering if the fat or sugar content of this recipe is too high. Also, I live in a high-altitude area, so that could be a contributing factor. The texture of the cake was good and it rose just fine initially--it just fell a little bit in the center towards the end of baking.

Any ideas?

I'd be happy to take other cake-mix based recipe suggestions as well. I'm looking for a yellow cake that's moist, but has a fairly firm texture that will hold up well as a wedding cake.

Thank you!

11 replies
HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:38am
post #2 of 12

Ntertaynme was kind enough to post the following on the other thread:

http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/baking/articles/154P1.asp

http://www.uwyo.edu/CES/Centsible/AltitudeAdjusters.PDF#search='high%20altitude%20baking%20%20%20cake%20mixes'

here are a couple links that may help .. I live almost below sea level so I know basically nothing about high altitudes lol

And I responded:

I noticed in another forum that you recently made a wedding cake using the SuperEnhanced Cake formula recipe from this site. Maybe I should try that recipe? What do you think of the flavor? Texture?

Has anyone tried that recipe in a high altitude? Anyone?

Thanks,

Holly

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:41am
post #3 of 12

The super enhanced cake mix is dense and I thought very moist too .. I'm not sure how it'd do in higher altitudes .. maybe someone that's used it or one similar could better answer that question icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:59am
post #4 of 12

Well, it is not uncommon for a recipe with sour cream in it to sink a bit in the middle. I have a chocolate one and some whites ones that do just that. It is a natural characteristic of certain cakes to do so, due to the rich combination of ingredients. It is no big deal, you just have to be aware of it. It doesn't mean that it is a bad recipe or anything else. IF you have cooked the cake through and it sinks a bit while cooking or while cooling, it may well just be a characteristic of that recipe. Like I said this is quite common with recipes using sour cream.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:02am
post #5 of 12

Meant to add this, depending on the recipe, some cakes need to support themselves on the sides while the centre rises. Now bakers normally do not grease the sides of their pans the way that we do, only the bottoms. Then when the cake comes out of the oven they loosen the sides with a knife and allow to cool the standard length of time before removing from the pan. This enables the cake to support itself on the sides as it rises. Because we grease the sides, the cake cannot do this and this may aid in the sinking in the middle aspect.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:10am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Meant to add this, depending on the recipe, some cakes need to support themselves on the sides while the centre rises. Now bakers normally do not grease the sides of their pans the way that we do, only the bottoms. Then when the cake comes out of the oven they loosen the sides with a knife and allow to cool the standard length of time before removing from the pan. This enables the cake to support itself on the sides as it rises. Because we grease the sides, the cake cannot do this and this may aid in the sinking in the middle aspect.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Wow - never knew this! I, too, have a recipe for a yellow cake that we really love the flavor of and it's very moist, but it always sinks, so I kind of quit making it unless it was just a cake for home-use, so to say. I might try not greasing the sides the next time I make it and see if that helps! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:20am
post #7 of 12

Yes, haha and I didn't just make it up, it is in a baking theory book that the local college uses for teaching baking.
Also, with most cheesecakes you do not grease the pan, same reason, that is why it is a good idea to use a knife to separate the cake from the sides as soon as it comes out of the oven so it doesn't have a chance to fall in the centre. Well, that and having a pan of water in the oven helps a lot with cheesecakes.
Hugs Squirrelly

HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:52am
post #8 of 12

Mmmm...now I'm craving cheesecake! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your input.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 6:18am
post #9 of 12

HollyPJ,
That SourCreamYellowCake is the only one that I use for my wedding cakes (I used to use a scratch recipe). I have tweaked the recipe some. I add 1/2 cup sugar instead of the 1/4, I add milk in place of the water, & I add a little more oil, not a 1/2 cup just maybe a tsp more. That recipe is so good that way! The middles never sink. Do you open the oven door during baking? That might be the problem. I never open the door during cooking. The oil & sugar are too low. You can hardly taste a flavor when using 1/4 cup sugar. I forgot.. I add a teaspoon & 1/2 of vanilla. Try it that way, I think you will like it better~

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 6:21am
post #10 of 12

oops, I must have skipped over the part about the high altitude! I just saw that! Sorry! I live in VERY low altitude... bayou country SO... what works for me.. might not work for you~

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 6:35am
post #11 of 12

I baked a yellow cake last week, the one for Samuell with the edible image, and it sank in the middle too, but I had added 2/3 cup of white chocolate chips to it...that cake was absolutely greasy, and the bottom stayed in the pan with the choc chips...I totally overdid the "enhancements"!

Needless to say I had to bake a second one, (with less chips, and I used the ones that are white and dark chocolate...the white chocolate chips have more fat in them), and it came out fine and tasted great! Janice

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Hey, Squirrelly! I made the Favorite Birthday Cake (whatever the name of it is) from the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor. It is a yellow cake with chocolate icing. I have never had this happen before but when I leveled it (I do this when it is still in the pan or I smush it down) because it took forever to cook and overcooked the outer edges, the sides sucked inward toward the center of the cake! I have no idea why it did this. This was also the first time I've used this recipe so it may do this if you don't let it cool before leveling it...just hadn't seen this happen before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%