Need Reason For More Cakes...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 17 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #1 of 41

My problem is i started decorating properly maybe 4 months ago and in that time i have only done 4 cakes and only ONE of them was actually for a reason. It is just really frustrating when i have all these ideas and want to try all these things with my decorating and i can't cose i have no reason to and i can't keep making them for no reason!

I am trying designs on fondant dummies now to save making all that cake but yet i still have to pay for all the ingredients to put on them.

I am doing some cookies which i love even though i don't get to do them very often and am now making gumpaste pieces to atleast do something icon_cry.gif but i do find that really fun!

Does anyone else has this problem or for hobbists out there just starting how many cakes do you do a week/month?

I have done a cake for our family but other than that b'day's are so spread out and there are no weddings etc etc so that doesn't really help

I think that is all i want to say, not that there really is a point in this just letting my frustration out.

40 replies
eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 41

Try to find a local boarding school, nursing home, or any group home in your area. I donated two cakes a month (one for boys and one for girls) to a local boarding school, and that is how I built my portfolio. The cakes I made were probably a little too much sometimes just for a birthday, but they loved them and it was good practice for me.

HTH

PS: You will probaby get referral, etc. from staff/family at the facilities and eventually start getting a little cash.

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 41

That might be an idea but i am not confident enough in my abilities for donating......I know it is silly lol

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 41

Oh, please, Elise!!! (hey, that rhymes icon_lol.gif ) Not good enough to donate? I looked at your photos and you do lovely work.

I, too, need practice! So, I put the word out at church that I'd like to do people's special occasion cakes for free. I tell them right up front that I'm new at this. I've been getting 4 or 5 requests a month. I just dropped one off this morning (the musical score one in my photos).

So far, everyone has been very grateful and has insisted on paying me. Not being a licensed kitchen, I can't take money and tell them to donate to one of my favorite charities. One woman gave $100 to my church. Someone last week gave $60 to our local food pantry.

I get to practice and try new techniques, my friends get cakes, and the charities get money. Everyone wins! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 41

one thing that brought more business for me was...my husband took a free cake to work and the rest is history!!! icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #6 of 41

I know i am being silly. It's not so much the decorating, it is more like when i make them will the cakes taste ok and will they be ok sitting out silly stuff like that, that i know prob be ok but it's like what if? lol

I have done some stuff outside the family but they were only cookies. I am confident with giving cookies out though. i did some for an airline crew and the others were for my graduation class and have been asked to do some again but that is for something later in the year lol

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 41

First of all...I looked at your photos, and your work is amazing. A couple of the cakes you said were your first try and boy-o-boy do you have beginners luck! You are very talented so keep trying to find reasons to make cakes.

I'm a hobby baker, and can't get a home licensed in my state....but I love to bake so, like you, it's a little hard to just bake for no reason. My first cakes after I finished the Wilton courses were for co-workers birthdays in my department. I also do family birthdays, holidays (Valentines, Easter, Mother's Day etc.). This weekend is my niece's baby shower, next weekend is my nephew's graduation (bless my husband and his big family!). Non-holiday family dinners, I test new cupcake or frosting recipes on them. When we get invited to dinner, I offer to bring dessert (usually minatures) and rarely get turned down. I give cakes, treats etc. to my DH to take to work. I also have a small group of friends who I send pictures if there's one I think they'd like to see.

Again, you are very, very talented, so I'm sure the hardest part for you in the near future will be having to tell all the freebie people you've been practicing on how much their 3D carved, fondant rose covered cake is going to be!!

Good luck!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #8 of 41

LOL DIane I have been doing the same thing.

Every Thurdsay night I bake something for my husband to take into work with him so I can try new things and get feedback on my recipes, flavor combo's and decorating.

Well that was over 2 months ago and everyone is "Fresh Baked Friday's" LOL

Tonight I made soft and thick sugar cookies (kinda of a cross between a sugar cookie and short bread) covered in orange bc frosting.

Let me tell ya they are delish!

I to have started practicing on dummy's but mostly to perfect technique like smoothing and corners.

I have been baking like crazy for friends and neighbors (birthdays, grads, anything really). I even made a cake for my neighbors grand daughter who learn how to ride a bike without her training wheel last weekend.

I really do like eggsnbakin idea about baking for local churches etc. We have a womens shelter not to far from my home and I bet the ladies and kids would love a lil something sweet to make their day.

Thanks for posting this and to everyone for the great responses icon_smile.gif

oh...my personal favorite reason for baking? "just because" icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #9 of 41

Yes! The sugar calls to you, does it not?! It now runs in my veins and when I am old and grey my IV will have a glucose drip I tell you! Rotten to the core.

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #10 of 41

All good ideas. maybe i will give them ago. Please don't get the wrong idea, i am confident in what i can do most of the time i just have this no confidence thing in taking the next step for stuff eg. making cakes for people outside the family etc. But it silly really as they won't be any different to the ones i make at home and they were fine, so why shouldn't i do it!?

Thank-you for the lovely comments about my work too icon_smile.gif

ooo p.s we are gonna have a girls night soon and i was thinking of making a chocolate cake with choc ganache on the outside with a ferrero rocher ganache filling......how evilly delicious icon_lol.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Yes! The sugar calls to you, does it not?! It now runs in my veins and when I am old and grey my IV will have a glucose drip I tell you! Rotten to the core.

LOL

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I put the word out at church that I'd like to do people's special occasion cakes for free. I tell them right up front that I'm new at this. I've been getting 4 or 5 requests a month. I just dropped one off this morning (the musical score one in my photos).

I'm SO excited, I had to post an update!!!!!!!!!! The music cake family just e-mailed me that they're donating $100 icon_eek.gif to my church's transitional housing program in lieu of paying for the cake.

I'm on cloud 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 41

that's great congrats!!! I must say i am impressed with how straight you got those music lines on the cake icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 41

We have the same problem. I cannot seem to find a reason to make cakes, especially for someone who doesn't sell cakes. I still want to make my life sized dress cake and I am so frustrated because I really want to make it soon. Ahh.. Good thing that there is someone out there who feels the same way.

Elise87 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #15 of 41

i remember you talking about the dress cake, defiantly ALOT of work but how cool would it be!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #16 of 41

How about taking one to your Dentist, Eye Doctor, Gyno, and......well you get the idea. They would love it and maybe you could drum up some business.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

How about taking one to your Dentist, Eye Doctor, Gyno, and......well you get the idea. They would love it and maybe you could drum up some business.

LOL I did just that for my dentist. After squeezing me in with no notice for a cracked tooth I made them a cake of a giant toothbrush.

I had never done anything like it and had never carved a cake before but I figured it cant hurt right?

Well they loved it! It was a red velvet cake with cream cheese BC covered in fondant.

It was not a great job but they loved it just the same and you know what the best part was??? I never got a bill for that visit or the last 2 I went to after that.

Hmmm...I wonder if I do a carved Lexus....and take it to the dealership....nah LOL
LL

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy

Hmmm...I wonder if I do a carved Lexus....and take it to the dealership....nah LOL

Whoa... great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard the best quote the other day, it was something like:

"I named my daughter Alexis because after her, I was never going to be able to afford one."

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #19 of 41

I have the same problem...tons of ideas, but no "reason" to make a cake! I've spent evenings making gum paste flowers, and practicing with royal icing. Here are some places that have benefitted from my "addiction":

-friend who had a new baby, and was feeling housebound.
-work. I am very popular in the staff room right now!
-daughter's school.
-my classes (I teach high school)
-"just because" for my family.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 41

I have that problem too. I have about 6 nieces and nephews around here and my two kids. Everyone's birthday is now done until November! Both my kids were born on Nov 30, six years apart. My family used to like all the cakes, but now it's moans and groans, not another cake!!! The only sorta legitimate nice big cake would be for my 10th anniversary in July. We eloped so I never did have a wedding cake. I've got some dummies too. After that is done then I'll be bake to stopping strangers on the street!!

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #21 of 41

Like RylanTy mentioned...its good to know that someone out there feels the same way! I've told my husband that I'm concerned I've spent a mint on cake stuff (and I still want more btw) and I don't really have any to do. I've started to try to make up reasons to make a cake; I'm making a purse cake as a birthday present for one of my best friends next weekend and I couldn't be happier icon_biggrin.gif lol

Also, to the op; your cakes are gorgeous! Your's are some of the pictures that I look at and go..."oooohhhhh I wanna be able to do that!!!!"

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #22 of 41

I have a similar situation with my cookie bouquets, there are a couple of ideas I really want to make, I wish I had someone to make them for. Its an expensive hobby if you're not getting any money for it.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsnbakin

Try to find a local boarding school, nursing home, or any group home in your area. I donated two cakes a month (one for boys and one for girls) to a local boarding school, and that is how I built my portfolio. The cakes I made were probably a little too much sometimes just for a birthday, but they loved them and it was good practice for me.

HTH

PS: You will probaby get referral, etc. from staff/family at the facilities and eventually start getting a little cash.

that is a great idea! i would love to do something like that but worry about the legalities of it, of course it would be donated and wouldnt charge for it but for an unlicensed baker and unlicensed kitchen coudl there be things to worry about? I know how people get lawsuit happy, I think sometimes I get so paranoid, but just things I think about, and dont ever want to have a situation where I get sued or something... icon_redface.gif

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #24 of 41

Take it to the homeless shelter. If you look at my pictures, I made one for Halloween this year and called it Blood on Pumpkin hill. It doesn't look too scary for the small children who are always there. We have a lot of middle class families who've lost their homes and need to keep their hope up. Cake always helps and is appreciated, as are cupcakes. They also like it if people come to help cook a meal.

Elise87 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #25 of 41

I think it is great and am very happy to donate cakes and but like previous replies have said boy is it costly to have this hobby. I mean i spent hundreds of dollars on supplies so far and that is cutting down on what i think are the basics lol

And it is frustrating how it cost alot to keep giving away stuff and you don't get any money to cover for costs but then if someone offered to pay me i would feel weird about it lol

Don't get me wrong i have fun giving away gifts and will keep doing so, it's just at the same time i am concious of the money side cose i am unemployed at the moment so that doesn't help.

i am doing my nan a b'day cake soon, a girls night cake and then next month my friends b'day cake so that is atleast something to look forward too lol

Cheers for all the replies, good to know people out there have same prob...not that it's a good thing it's actually bad but ya know what i mean lol

...oh and thank-u puppy_luv!

*edited* this post sounds really bad doesn't it ooooo i didn't mean it to!!

Elise87 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy

Whoa... great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard the best quote the other day, it was something like:

"I named my daughter Alexis because after her, I was never going to be able to afford one."

LOL to both of them icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:21pm
post #27 of 41

I just try to make something once a week, so that I can get better at what I love to do. It also helps me build my portfolio until I'm ready to open up shop!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #28 of 41

Girls, I think we should all make the cakes, get us all together and have ourselves a cake party. We can share our tips and recipes and then cut each other's cake and take it home. This way, nothing is wasted and we are all going to have fun.

Unfortunately, we are far away from each other =[

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #29 of 41

I have this problem, too. I have eaten waaaaaaay too much since I started trying to learn this art, and I feel like I'm imposing on others to take my practice cakes - especially if I have used a mix icon_confused.gif So many ideas, so few outlets........ I know - get over it already icon_lol.gif A Cake Party would be fun, but then I'd have to try all of them instead of just mine. Fourteen more pounds........

Elise87 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #30 of 41

and i live even MORE far away lol but good thing is i am gonna make a 'just because' cake today for dessert trying ganache for the first time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%