Big Baby Here? ( Kinda Long Rant... Sorry)

Decorating By andiesweet Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 3:43am by OfficerMorgan

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 15

Ok... so i spent a week after work and late nights working on the display cake (Mardi Gras cake in pics), and 3 sheet cakes for my daughters 5th grade school social. IT was all a gift for the school and I really enjoyed making the dummy and they way that it turned out.

Well, on the way to deliver all this stuff to the school, I was at a red light when a man on his cell phone hit me from behind.My daughter was holding the dummy in her lap, because she was so proud of it. Well a lot of the sugar work was destroyed, the big mask on top was a total loss. And the sheet cakes which i had already cut up and put inside the domes for transport, ended up on the floor. My daughter is fine, a few minor scratches, but fine.

So after the police came and handed him a ticket, I had to quick get back to my house to try to salvage what i could of this mess. i was alble to save 3/4 of the cake pieces (thank goodness I made more than I needed) and made the dummy look presentable.

I made it there before the party started and was greeted with ooohs and ahhhs and thanks so much for the cake. etc... Skip to yesterday when they had the graduation. They had all the moms who helped with the social stand and get special recognition and they totally left me out! They thanked all of the businesses who supplied food, and skipped me again! I was floored... after all I had been through witht he cake. i felt like I was punched in the gut.

I didn't do the cake for the glory, but dang... it still hurts. icon_cry.gif

14 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 15

So sorry they treated you that way icon_eek.gif Even though you aren't looking for the glory, it would still irk me too and I'd probably say something to one of the teachers.

You and your daughter know what you did and I'm sure she is super proud of you. That's all the recognition you really need (right) thumbs_up.gif

Glad to hear you are both okay icon_smile.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 15

I don't blame you for feeling that way, and no, you're NOT being a big baby! While we don't necessarily do things for the purpose of getting recognition, we still want to feel our efforts are appreciated.

If they hadn't singled out anyone, that'd be fine, but if they thanked everyone else but me, after all that work, I'd be hurt and pissed off, too. Most people have no clue how much work and expense goes into a cake like that, and they rarely appreciate it icon_sad.gif .

I quit doing freebies like that along time ago, primarily for that reason (and lack of time).

finnsimm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnsimm Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 15

Well, I guess that is the last time you put in that much effort for the school. By all means, keep supporting your daughter and her class, but screw the school (and I'm a teacher!)

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 15

Is it just me or is there alot of theses kinds of posts? Ones with schools ordering cakes then backing out becuase the cake is out of their budget, or wanting freebies, or complaining about the freebies?! I know its graduation season, but I thought If anyone would be happy to have that kind of donation, it would be school!

I'm sorry about how they treated you. And the wreck! I'm glad everyone is ok and I hope that guy had insurance!

Hope things go better for you!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 15

Im so sorry too!!! I hate it when special recognition is passed over when you worked *so hard* on these cakes and even worked through this accident. Keep your chin up!

The good thing is you are a wonderful role model for your daughter who learned perservation, control and charity. Also she knows how much you did and is likely never to forget it. You probably could say you got paid in character (for her sake)

Kudos to you and foo-foo on the lousy school social committee!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 15

This is why if you ever go to the business boards the mass conclusion is NEVER donate a cake EVER again!!! Substantial discounts not withstanding, no one EVER recognizes you or gives you the credit that they told you that you WERE going to get for doing it.

For the future, support her class, bake her a cake for her birthday, but never ever donate cakes again to larger school functions, because it's just a recipe for disaster...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 15

Ooohhhh I hope both you and your DD are o.k.! A read-ender accident can cause problems that don't show up for a couple of days icon_sad.gif
What a great design well carried out that cake was! No wonder DD was so proud of it. It is really bad that you were passed up on the special recognition. We all would feel hurt (I'm sure as I know I would have been). Now you are just going to have to let go of that hurt/anger and know you did your very best and your DD is proud of you icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 15

I'm glad that you are both ok. And I think it's natural to be upset when you were so hard on something and then don't get any recognition. Especially, when they recognize other people. I'm sorry that they left you out. That wasn't right!

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 15

I would have been hurt and upset too. I am glad you and your dauhter are fine.

Not that I am sticking up for them, but maybe it slipped their mind? If this is true I would hope they would send you some kind of thank you note or something apologizing for their mistake. Thats what I would have done in my class.

The most important person knows how hard you worked and all the love you put into it. I'm sure your daughter will never forget the cake and probably felt awesome bringing in such a cool cake the whole night! thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #11 of 15

Aww...that really stinks. That's sometimes the only thanks any school volunteer ever gets. Everyone wants to be recognized for their hard work, so, no, you are not a big baby.

You know what, just remember all the ooohs and aaahs....people loved it and that;s what matters. BUT...the most important thing is that you were not injured by the rear-ender!!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #12 of 15

I'm a teacher, and have learned never to start thanking people by name at these things because you'll always forget someone. People just get a general 'thank-you everyone who helped' from me now.

Glad the accident wasn't more serious!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 15

I have older kids who remember incidents like this more significantly than the warm, fuzzy times when everything goes perfectly!

Look at it this way: you've provided fodder for every Thanksgiving dinner hereafter! ("Remember the time mom and I were taking all those cakes to school and we got in this HUGE accident and cake went flying everywhere but mom fixed it? That was so COOL!")

There's your thanks!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #14 of 15

Isn't it funny how people always seem to remember your name when they need to ask you for a donation but then those same people will forget your name when it comes time to publicly thank you.

There is no excuse for ignorance like they displayed. The speaker should be prepared enough to have a list of names in front of him/her so that nobody is left out. (aren't teachers always preaching to their students to be prepared and organized?)

I'm sure you weren't the only one overlooked.

Shame on them thumbsdown.gif

I'm glad you and your daughter were not injured in the accident.

Beautiful cake by the way!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #15 of 15

No, you weren't a big baby at all! That is terrible, and my feelings would have been very hurt as well. icon_sad.gif Sorry this happened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%