Greasing Your Pans

Decorating By Yankie Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:38am by debster

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 22

what do you use to grease your cake pans...Spray..butter/flour or shortening/flour?

What do you think works better?

thanks

21 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 22

I use Crisco, and Vondra flour. Works for me.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 22

This is the best I take 1cup shortening, 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour mix together in mixer for 5 min then use a pastry brush to apply. You won't use anything else.............hehehehehe

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 22

Hi. I've done both and I like the shortening/flour combo better. I think the color of the cake is prettier and like the firmness of the edges.

Lita829 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 22

Debster..I might have to try that. It sounds like an interesting combo.

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 22

Debster,

I will be trying that for sure....now if I have left over..can I refrigerated if so, for how long?

Thanks

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 22

Thin coat of melted butter with a pastry brush. It's all I have ever used never had a problem.

dovelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dovelady Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #8 of 22

I use the Cake Release stuff from Wilton.. Never had a problem

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

This is the best I take 1cup shortening, 1 cup oil and 1 cup flour mix together in mixer for 5 min then use a pastry brush to apply. You won't use anything else.............hehehehehe

I'm not much of a caker but I have heard this works wonders!
Next cake I make I will be sure to make a batch!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #10 of 22

From Jennifer Dontz's DVD, I line my pans with waxed paper -no clean up and bakes a level cake. Then I store it in the paper lining until it's ready to use. I love it!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:05am
post #11 of 22

I also use equal amounts of shortening, flour and oil. It performs great!.

cboyer75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cboyer75 Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:17am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovelady

I use the Cake Release stuff from Wilton.. Never had a problem

I too use the Cake Release from Wilton...... it's the best $4 investment I've ever made & I will not be using any other method any time soon. thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 22

I guess if you would refrigerate it that it would last indefinate at least until the oil turns gummy. I keep it on my counter for 3 months no problem. I use it too fast for it to go bad. It's like the Wilton pan release but lots cheaper to make.

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 22

How does the flour/oil/shortening mixture cakes do? Is there alot of crumbs? I 've been using the bakers joy spray and it works good but you just get too many crumbs.

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 22

I too use the homemade cake release (equal parts oil, crisco, and flour).
I love it. No crumbs. The cakes have a nice finished edge to them, and they release from the pans like a dream. I store it in the cabinet, not the frig.
I highly recommend it. Economical and it works. thumbs_up.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 22

*jumps on the homemade pan-release bandwagon* It's all I use. It can't be beat for ease of use, price, and great results.

debster Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:18pm
post #17 of 22

No crumbs here either and the cakes are light in color not burnt and crispy on edges..............love the stuff. And for highly detailed pans you can't be the stuff. I'll say it again, it's much cheaper to make than buying the Wiltons.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 22

I am on that band wagon too - shortning, oil and flour - equal parts of all 3 - works like a dream and I will not use anything else!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #19 of 22

il have to try that shortening, flour and oil combo - i just use vegetable oil with the bottom of the tin lined in greaseproof paper and a lot of the time my cakes do stick a little and some comes away.

does everyone line the sides with paper?? all the cake books ive ever read tell you to do this but i cant for the life of me get the paper to stay on the sides once i put my mixture (which is very dense) into the tin. it comes away and distorts the cake - its fine on the bottom of the tin but definitly not on the sides icon_sad.gif

Lita829 Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 22

Cathy24..I hardly ever use parchment for cakes. I know that it's the gold standard in baking but I don't use it and my cakes never stick. I currently use shortening applied with a pastry brush and dust with flour (even though I am going to try the shortening-oil-flour mixture).

I do use the parchment for cookies, though.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #21 of 22

I use flour and crisco...but instead of a brush where I lose some of the crisco...I put on my medic latex free gloves, I love, and not messy.

debster Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #22 of 22

Where I'm living I think parchment paper is expensive to use for all the cakes I do , so the oil, shortening and flour work for my wallet!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%