Kind Of Tricky...only Have A Couple Days To Decide

Decorating By eggsnbakin Updated 21 May 2009 , 12:46pm by eggsnbakin

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

I already knew I wanted to do the pregnant lady silhouette for a friends baby shower this weekend. I had planned to do it on an oval cake as I had seen on here until I ran across this blog:

http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/2008/04/more-sweet-melissas-recipes-baby-desserts/

I would like to do this cake, BUT only the tall middle tier. I also don't plan to cover it on fondant. I can get my buttercream really smooth, so don't see any reason for it this time, plus the people who will be there aren't into it.

Originally, I had planned to do the silhouette with fondant/gumpaste mix because the oval cake was going to be covered in fondant. Now, it will be buttercream, and vertical. Do you think I should just use fondant only and apply it to the crusted buttercream while it is still pliable? Not only that, but there is also the lavender background behind the silhoette, should I do the same with that?

I don't see any harm in using fondant/gp mix, but my concern is that since it is a round cake, it may not 'wrap' since it will be hard.

*sigh*....long, I know.

Any help would be awesome! icon_smile.gif

TIA

5 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 May 2009 , 5:51am
post #2 of 6

Cute cake!

You're right ~ it if's dry, it won't wrap. I suggest you do the silhouette in fondant as you said.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:50am
post #3 of 6

I agree w/cakepro.......all fondant so you can curve it around the tier.
Don't forget to post the pic when you are finishedicon_smile.gif

eggsnbakin Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you, I will post a pic this time.....I was going to put all my cake pics on here at one time, but I got tired of resizing them. lol

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 6

I would also use all fondant. You can apply it to crusted or non-crusted bc. If it has already crusted well, you can lay the fondant piece on a damp paper towel for a little bit and it will be very sticky on the back. That makes it adhere like glue.

eggsnbakin Posted 21 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 6

never thought of laying it on a damp paper towel....always brush water on the back. Great tip! I'll have to try that with this. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%