It Was One Of Those Days!

Decorating By cakesgalore6373 Updated 3 May 2009 , 7:06pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

cakesgalore6373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesgalore6373 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 12

Just wanted to share my experience with you and give the rest of you a good laugh. icon_smile.gif
A few weeks ago, I asked for help on how to make cc puppies for my granddaughters b'day. Got some good advice, bought books recommended. Studied, and was off........... icon_razz.gif
I wanted to make a "cute" round cake with fondant dog house, and fondant puppies, but my granddaughter had a different idea, hence, the cc puppies.
Made the cake, 12"round. Used 2 4x4 square pans to make the dog house. Cute. I was very pleased with the outcome. A little larger than I wanted, but it will do. Of course, not being totally sure of my skills on the cc pups, I waited to do them last. The request was for a Yorkie, and a poodle. She's seven, I can do this! Take a deep breathe, have my books, suggestions printed out from CC. Printed pictures........ready, go.
I made the body out of a mini loaf pan, (thought it would work better than two cc.) Not bad. Attached the cc on top of the mini loaf with a toothpick. Attached the marshmellow for the muzzle. Okay, the icing. I stood back and looked at the finished product. This was the scariest thing I had ever seen! icon_eek.gif What now? Start over. Okay, icing off, do over. Walk away, come back about 20 minutes later. Look at it again, not bad.
Okay, the pink poodle. Assemble cc and marshmellows. Start icing. Wait, what is that? The muzzle on the Yorkie is falling off! icon_surprised.gif Okay, regroup, grab more toothpicks. Underneath the marshmellow looks like a torture device instead of a cute pup! Back, to the poodle. What now? The ear fell off of the poodle because the icing is to heavy! Okay, start over with a new ear. Now the other ear has fallen off! Can anything else fall off? Well yes it can! The head of the poodle is slowly leaning towards the ground. Take the head off, examine what is wrong, carved out some of the "body" reattach the head with more toothpicks!! More icing.
Cute little guys in the end, but all I could do was laugh.
Hope at least one of you got a laugh and may all your experiences be good ones, or at least worth sharing.

11 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 12

Yes, that was a good (much needed) laugh. And I'm glad you are able to laugh about it too icon_biggrin.gif Keep at it and have fun, I'm sure your granddaughter will love it no matter what!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 12

Ok cakesgalore... wheres the pic's? ... loved your story... sounds like a few of my cake challenges... I had a great Idea for a cake for my nephew.. that loved A's baseball.. I was going to make him a A's cake with a baseball that SPLATTED INTO THE CAKE..! easy...right..?? 10" cake with a "Ball" Wilton pan shaped cake I would put a dowel in the ball cake and stick in on the edge/side of the cake and squirt some frosting splats all around the edge of the splats.. HAHAHH WHAT A GOOF I WAS... The ball kept falling apart..and the dowel/ dowels would not hold the heavy ball cake on the 10" cake.. So... CAKE CENTERAL TO THE RESCUE..I was able to come to the pc and quickly state my delima.. and within 5 minutes I had an answer... MAKE THE BALL OUT OF RICE KRISPY TREATS! ....DUH! It worked like a dream! covered in fondant. HE LOVED HIS CAKE.. AND I learned so much from that challenge..
Challenges = Experience... The more the better... If our nerves will hold out... Keep thinking of those crazy cake Ideas... We can do anything if we put our minds to it...!
Oh yeah.. show your pictures.... Ill bet it came out great!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 12

Thank god i found this thread - i have just had laughter tears rolling down my cheeks - (sorry) but i am not laughing at YOU but your way with words if brillante.
I felt like i was standing *there* whilst it was all happening.

After the thread i have just read (rude people at a wedding) it is comforting to know that there is still room for laughter and sharing our icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gificon_mad.gif cake moments.

cakesgalore6373 - hope you copy, paste and then print this out and stick in a diary - for when you write your book "whats THAT falling NOW"
So discriptive - fabulous writtings...
Yes, you surely made me laugh - THANKYOU.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 12

I hate those sessions...when I'm in them. I love being on the other side, looking back and learning so much. Now you know a few things you shouldn't do!

After 3 attempts at getting a cake out of the pan without breaking, on my birthday, for my nephew, I almost resorted to a dig-a-dinosaur cake! It was so stressful...now I look back and laugh! Happy that I learned so much!

Thanks for sharing!

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 12

For me, those moments happen at least once for every cake I've done. I can look back and laugh now, but I think I've said,"That's it-I'm done with decorating" every time. My husband used to offer constructive criticism and suggestions, but he has sinced learned to stop trying to help. Now, he just sits quietly and shakes his head. Once I walk away and calm down, something always comes together.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 12

Not really worthless, but the pictures would be wonderful to see.
I can remember many such times myself... icon_biggrin.gif

cakesgalore6373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesgalore6373 Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, you asked for it.

Hope the pic turns out.

One poopy pink poodle and one scary yorkie!!
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Not really worthless, but the pictures would be wonderful to see.
I can remember many such times myself... icon_biggrin.gif

Ok this is hilarious!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 12

Aww, I think they cute! I'm sure you grandaughter loved it.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 12

I'm sure all the frustration was worth it, just to see the smile on her face, when she saw the cake! I'd say it was a great learning experience for you, and a very entertaining experience for those of us on CC. Your descriptive skills are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 12

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time, but I'm glad you're able to laught at it and share that laughter with all of us. Thank you. As you described the scene I felt like I was there with you and I did chuckle.

I'm glad it all turned out well and the cake came out great. You really made it look good and I would never have known you had such a difficult time by the results. Hope your granddaughter loved (though I can't see how she couldn't - it's so cute!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%