Am I Making This Cake Too Busy??

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 3 May 2009 , 8:06am by Chippi

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 27

I am doing my 1st wedding cake this weekend. The bride is a friend and it is a gift to her. She is a tomboy, and said "don't care what it looks like". Her mom has given me some requests and I am trying to fill in the rest.

Mother wants-3 tiers with top 2 up on pillars. She bought a precious moments figurine for a topper. icon_surprised.gif The dresses have light blue in them and they will carry pink roses.

I was thinking of 10, 8, 6" covered in white fondant with the diamond impression mat and silver dragees on cross lines. In the "open area" I have made gumpaste pink roses, white orchids and some blue filler flowers. I was going to use a 1" light blue ribbon for the borders on the cakes.

Do you think I'm trying to incorporate too much into this cake? I really don't like the topper, but I can't change that. I'd like my floral arrangement to be the eye catcher, so are the diamonds and dragees too much? Please give me your opinions. TIA

26 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 27

i like it...i think the cake will look very pretty!!!! very simple but yet impressive!!! good luck...take pictures!!!!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 27

I think I would use pearls instead of silver dragees but your design sounds really nice and soft. Good luck icon_smile.gif

AfordRN Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 27

Pearls, great idea. That would still give the effect, but wouldn't take away from the flowers. I don't have any pearls on hand, nearest store is 65 miles away. I think I read on Earlene's website how to make them. I'll research that and see if I can get them done before Friday. icon_eek.gif

What is the best way to get them to stick?? Dap of gumpaste glue?

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 27

Yeah gumpaste glue is the way to go and your design sounds lovely.Even though you have a plan ,as you work other ideas will flow in.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 27

I think that sounds like it will be beautiful! Make sure you post pics. And I think either way you go will be fine, pearls or dragees. If you already have the dragees, then use those.

Chippi Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfordRN

Pearls, great idea. That would still give the effect, but wouldn't take away from the flowers. I don't have any pearls on hand, nearest store is 65 miles away. I think I read on Earlene's website how to make them. I'll research that and see if I can get them done before Friday. icon_eek.gif

What is the best way to get them to stick?? Dap of gumpaste glue?

Just take a round decorating tip (smaller for small pearls, larger tip for bigger pearls) and roll out your fondant nice and even and cut circles as many as you need.......roll ea. one and roll in a bowl or tupperware container of pearl dust. I know there is a tutorial I will try and find it for you and post it. Even if you don't make pearls this time you can keep the tutorial for later use icon_smile.gif

Haaaaa.....Well here's Earlenes pearl tutorial that you mentioned.
http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

If I find anything else for you I will post it. Good luck!

Chippi

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:15am
post #9 of 27

Thanks for all the pictures xstitcher. The last photo has me thinking I like just the top tier up on pillars. I also like the pearls. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next few nights. Making pearls! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:21am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfordRN

Thanks for all the pictures xstitcher. The last photo has me thinking I like just the top tier up on pillars. I also like the pearls. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next few nights. Making pearls! icon_lol.gif

Glad I could help. Have fun making the pearls! icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 27

The cake sounds like it is going to be very pretty! Post the picture when you are done, please!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 27

Sounds great, I can't wait to see the final product.

If you don't like the topper, I would suggest to cover the whole topper with flowers until you can't see it anymore.

AfordRN Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #13 of 27

I will certainly post pictures later on Saturday. I got the fondant on and quilting done. I ordered the SPS system for it. Of course my cake isn't 4" tall so I'll have to go out to the shop and use the chop saw tomorrow. icon_mad.gif I use 3" pans, but now I thinking the 2" pan are the way to go? I torted them twice and still didn't get 4" out of it. Cake is a WASC/choc marble. I have found these don't raise well, heck most the time they sink in the middle so I'm just glad they were relatively even on top!

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:43am
post #14 of 27

This cake sounds absolutely beautiful...I'm sure your friend will love it. I have a stupid question - what's gumpaste glue?

xstitcher Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

This cake sounds absolutely beautiful...I'm sure your friend will love it. I have a stupid question - what's gumpaste glue?

It helps hold "glue" your gp pieces together. You can make it out of different ingredients. Some use gp mixed with water, some use meringue powder and water, others use tylose mixed with water etc. (I've used gp with water and tylose with water myself).

Here's a link on the topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-43689-.html

HTH! icon_smile.gif

favrtdtr Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #16 of 27

x-stitcher - thanks so much!!

AfordRN Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:20pm
post #17 of 27

Well I got the cake there and assembled without any problems. I put 2 pictures in my gallery. I had a bit of a problem getting the flowers arranged, discovered I am NOT a florist! icon_razz.gif The orchids are soooo delicate, broke one right away. Next time think I might do a styrofoam covered in fondant to arrange. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Now that I've done 1, then next on will be easier....right! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #18 of 27

Love your description! Can't wait for the pic!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 27

Very pretty! Could you tell me where you got your impression mat? Mine has small diamonds, I like yours better.

MBHazel

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #20 of 27

The cake looks beautiful. I know your friend was thrilled!

AfordRN Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:50pm
post #21 of 27

Got the impression mat from Globalsugarart.com It's the 1 1/4" Earlenes impression mat. If you put a regular layer of BC on under the fondant, then you get that "puffy" looking quilting. Thanks for the comments.

favrtdtr Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #22 of 27

That is absolutely beautiful!! I do not think it came out too busy at all - it's just right to me. I hope that someday I'll be able to do such a good job. icon_smile.gif Congrats

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #23 of 27

Thanks a bunch!!!!

MBHazel

AfordRN Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #24 of 27

favrtdtr: Just give it a go. I started decorating cakes in Jan of 2009. I do allot of reading in the forums and looking in the galleries. My theory is you never know until you try!! My next big "adventure" is this cake. I'm making it for a local motorcycle business that had a fire and lost everything. Now they are having a Grand Re-opening and I think this would be a nice gift.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=138653

favrtdtr Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #25 of 27

WOW - that's INCREDIBLE!! I took some classes last year, but don't have a lot of time and mostly not much money to practice with or to buy equipment with. I'm working on it though, one cake at a time, LOL. Thanks for the encouragement

xstitcher Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #26 of 27

Your cake turned out great. I love how perfect the pearls look! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Chippi Posted 3 May 2009 , 8:06am
post #27 of 27

Super job RN icon_smile.gif The pearls look great.....good job on them! icon_biggrin.gif

Chippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%