Icing Recipes Please

Decorating By adorablemomof3 Updated 1 May 2009 , 7:08pm by cylstrial

adorablemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adorablemomof3 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 20

Hello everyone. . .My daughter (14) and I started cake decorating classes. I purchased the Wilton's icing for convenience. The taste is awful. Can you please share your icing recipes that can serve the same purpose as the Wilton's icing? I would love to be able to use a variety of icings for my cakes.

TIA
~*~Adorablemomof3~*~

P.S. A cream cheese icing recipe would be greatly appreciated too.

19 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 20

This is my fav recipe. I got the from a fellow CCer. Makes great roses too.

2 cups Sweetx Hi-Ratio (makes a huge difference!)
1 8 oz. brick Philly Cream Cheese, softened
1 TBS. Magic Line Butter Vanilla flavoring (Country Kitchen)
3 lbs. Baker/Chef Powdered Sugar (Sam's Club)
1 Tsp. white popcorn salt ( it's finer)
1/4 cup whipping cream

Mix hi-ratio and cream cheese together at #4 for a couple of minutes. Add flavoring, mix again. Whisk the salt into the powdered sugar and while mixer is at stir, add it slowly to the mixer bowl alternating with the whipping cream. Once all blended, turn mixer up to 4-5 and let her go for about 5 minutes. Let rest awhile. I also stir with a spatula right before applying to cakes to minimize air bubbles. The ratio of sugar to cream cheese is so high that I have never had problems with spoiling even after 5 days of sitting on my counter. But I cautiously refrigerate any leftovers and use again.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:05am
post #3 of 20

There are several crusting recipe's in the recipe section of cc (including cream cheese ones).

Here are just a few:

adorablemomof3 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 20

Thank you for the recipe AfordRN. What is high-ratio? Prior to joining this website I've never heard of it before.

Thanks again.

adorablemomof3 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 20

Thank you for the recipes @ Xstitcher. I looked at a lot of the recipes but wanted to know what worked well for others. I appreciate you taking the time to point out those recipes.

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 20

Hi ratio is a trans fat shortening. I can only get mine online, as I have no cake supplier around. I usually order it from globalsugarart.com. It comes in brands of sweetex, alpine. Google it!! I find GSA has the best shipping prices.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 20

Welcome Adorable!

What a fun thing to do with your daughter! I also took the Wilton classes and hated the class icing so started looking online for recipes and wound up here.
What a great group- and so very helpful! I have learned sooooooomuch here. Learn your way around and you will have a great time!

My fave icing so far is in the recipe section and is Serious_cakes Buttercream. (not crusting)

Also you gotta check out the "Melvira method" to smooth your buttercream.

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:48am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adorablemomof3

Thank you for the recipes @ Xstitcher. I looked at a lot of the recipes but wanted to know what worked well for others. I appreciate you taking the time to point out those recipes.

Your welcome.

I know that Sugarshack's and IndyDebi's are both right up there but the others are really good too.

Here are some threads with similiar type ?'s that might help you out:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626669-crusting.html+buttercream

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=624352&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=crusting&&start=15

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624237-crusting.html+buttercream

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626269-crusting.html+buttercream

Hope they help! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 20

As a former WMI may I suggest you use the *'class b'cream' in class*.
You can ice your cakes w/anything you want but your instructor will have a better chance of helping you when/if you have any problems learning a technique in class using the icing he/she is familiar with.
You can add more or different flavoring(s) to help improve the taste - up to 1 tablespoon per batch icon_smile.gif
Once you are finished w/your classes you can use anything you want.
I suggest SugarShack's b'cream.........it is super to make and use.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 20

Hi,

This is my own recipe that I have been giving out to my Wilton students for the past 11 years. It tastes good, crusts beautifully, and is easy to make and work with.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7378-21-Cakepros-Buttercream-with-Trans-Fat-Free-Crisco.html

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 20

Hey Sherri,

I added yours on my 1st post too! It's getting great ratings! I've still got to make it (I haven't made a cake (well except for the cheesecake I made for myself last week icon_lol.gif ) since I discovered it a few weeks ago.

Parm

adorablemomof3 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzone

Welcome Adorable!

Also you gotta check out the "Melvira method" to smooth your buttercream.

Thank you for the information and the suggestion. I used this method after I iced the cake and my daughter's cupcakes and it is simply marvelous! I love it. I can't imagine icing a cake that will be decorated without it in the future.

adorablemomof3 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

As a former WMI may I suggest you use the *'class b'cream' in class*.
You can ice your cakes w/anything you want but your instructor will have a better chance of helping you when/if you have any problems learning a technique in class using the icing he/she is familiar with.
You can add more or different flavoring(s) to help improve the taste - up to 1 tablespoon per batch icon_smile.gif
Once you are finished w/your classes you can use anything you want.
I suggest SugarShack's b'cream.........it is super to make and use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I iced my cake with one of the cream cheese frosting recipes (crusting). However, I plan to follow your suggestion for learning the techinques in class. I figure I can add the decorations with tthe buttercream icing. I hope that will work out ok.

adorablemomof3 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Hi,

This is my own recipe that I have been giving out to my Wilton students for the past 11 years. It tastes good, crusts beautifully, and is easy to make and work with.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7378-21-Cakepros-Buttercream-with-Trans-Fat-Free-Crisco.html

Cakepro thank you for sharing your recipe with me. I'll definitely put it in my recipe box.

adorablemomof3 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 20

I can't thank you all enough for the welcome, suggestions, and recipes.

Cake baking this weekend turned out to be quite adventurous...to say the least!

I did get the high density foam roller and Viva paper towels. . .love it

I used one of the buttercream recipes (can't remember which one since I jacked it up) for my daughter's cupcakes but got sidetracked and lost count of how much powdered sugar I added so I wind up winging it for her icing. And then the icing wasn't spreading correctly for her crumb layer...it was wayyyyyyyy too thick. I added some half and half to it and it worked out great. I Viva'd them too. *lol*

I started out making a three layer checkerboard cake but didn't have enough cake batter. . .needless to say that become dessert for last night's dinner. It was a hot mess! *insert giggles here*

My cake for class tonite turned out ok but something happened with it in the oven and I'm not sure what. I think it may have fallen a little bit but gotta love that icing...cover up flaws superbly. *lol*

The most important lessons from this weekend's cake adventure. . .DON'T START BAKING ON SUNDAY EVENING. I was up 'til 4am and had to be at work before 9:30 am and my 16mo. old doesn't care what mommy is doing. . .he wants what he wants when he wants...cakes can wait!

Soooo right now I'm feeling like a supermom...exhausted but accomplished! When we get to class tonight we'll be ready to decorate!

Thanks again ladies. thumbs_up.gif

Barbclara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbclara Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #16 of 20

Cakepro,

I just tried out your revised Wilton's icing recipe for my clown cake and it tastes SOOOOOOOOO much better than store-bought tub icing! lol.

It also worked quite well for the star shapes and letters I piped.

thanks,

Barb

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 20

That's good to hear!

I don't like, use, nor recommend the Wilton Class Buttercream to any of my students.

My recipe is my own tweaked version of a standard American buttercream frosting.

Thanks for the feedback! Now you know you have to post pictures so we can admire your work, right? icon_biggrin.gif

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks this helps

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #19 of 20

I'm willing to share mine, just e-mail me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #20 of 20

I love the Buttercream Dream recipe on here! So delicious!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%