What To Do With 50Lbs Of Shortening??? Storage?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm by favrtdtr

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 42

I just received a 50lb cube of shortening for much cheaper than buying it in the 24oz tubs I can find locally, but I have NO idea how I'm going to store this stuff!!! icon_confused.gif It's wrapped in a large, plastic bag, in a cardboard box...

I put some of it in an empty 20lb Satin ice container, but there is still 3/4 of a box left in my dining room, in a box, in my husbands chair. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif (we have to keep moving it...) Shortening is HARD to "scoop". icon_rolleyes.gif

Any brilliant ideas please? I'm not one to store my ingredients in the cellar (aka: dungeon), unless it's wrapped and going into my freezer.

Thank you... icon_smile.gif

41 replies
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 42

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing. I'm on the same boat as you. I got a deal on some high ratio stuff and it's packaged just like yours. I heard someone say freeze it in small bags (3-5lb) to it's easier to use than freezing the whole block, but I would like to hear a bit more on that.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 42

I bought a 50lb. block of hi ration shortening and cut it up in blocks, enough to make double batches of frosting and froze it. I wrapped it in plastic wrap then put in freezer bags, worked like a charm.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 42

Ok where is everyone getting the deals????

kellertur Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 42

Hey, mine is high ratio too.... a rare find for me with the ingredients I need. icon_smile.gif

I can't freeze it because it is sentitive to extreme changes in temperature. (above 80, below 50). Otherwise, freezing would have been a GREAT idea. icon_smile.gif

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 42

My thoughts exactly do share......Please icon_biggrin.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:43am
post #7 of 42

Like everybody else has said. I know it is a pain to do. I weigh out 3 pound burger-shaped patties. Then I wrap it in plastic wrap, several times. Then I put the patties in large plastic bins that seal. I label the bin with the date and product name. Then I put the bin on a shelf. I don't freeze just the shortening.

It last a few months in my shop. I use it up. Sometimes I make icing and freeze the icing. But I chill the patty before I unwrap it to make it easier to drop in to my big mixers. Weigh it out to match your recipe.

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #8 of 42

Do you have to Freeze the shortening? I was going to buy some and I was going to leave it in the pantry...... And could anyone tell me what the shelf life is or is there one? sure dont have enough room for that much in the freezer! Thanks

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #9 of 42

I just received my 50 lb box today. Cut it up , wrapped in wax paper, foil and freezer bags. I asked the head baker at safeway and he said will freeze just fine.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:06am
post #10 of 42

uhhhh....

i "scoop" what I need and then grab the bag adn squeeze out all the air... tie with rubberband, and then tape the box shut. It sits in my pantry...

I have been looking for containers (tupperware) that will hold the exact amount I need per icing recipe.. but haven't gotten around to that. Would make things go quicker... and easy to move.

I live in FL and I don't freeze it. I have had it for about 6months and no problems. I make sure I use a clean scoop everytime and look for spoilage. so far im good to go!

But am I missing something?!?! Can I not store it like this?

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 42

I buy my high ratio shortening in 50 lb blocks and divide it up between 2 5 gallon plastic buckets. I got my from the bakery at Food City. They actually gave them to me for free. These buckets work great. See if Wal-mart or some of the other bakeries will give you 2. They get their icing in these buckets. Hope this helps.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 42

I have been portioning it out into the amount needed for a batch of icing or I put it into ice cream tubs, wrap or top off with saran wrap and pop into the freezer. I've done this for 2 years and have had no problems. I just do cakes for friends and family so I don't go through it fast enough to sit on my shelf for a year or so. What I find amazing is how much the price for 50# had gone up in just a year. The first time I bought a box of Sweetex - $62! The next year it had jumped to $92!!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 42

My husband converted one of the walk-in closets (I'm an empty nester) in my house to a "cake closet" for me with lots of shelves for storage. My 50lb box of Sweetex is sitting on the floor in that closet and I just go scoop up what I need when I need it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 42

I bought a rubbermaid container about the size of the 50# box and I store it in there. I have an ice cream scoop that is 1/3 cup so I just scoop out what I need and replace the lid. It looks something like this http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100259

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #15 of 42

Rocketgirl I do the same thing as you! No problems so far!

annez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annez Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 42

May I ask a silly question, related to this storage issue? I'm assuming if you guys are going through that much shortening, you're also going through a ton (literally?) of powdered sugar. How do you store that?

I just decorate a few cakes here and there for fun, and find myself going through quite a bit of it anyway, and this thread made me wonder about the powdered sugar too...

thanks icon_smile.gif

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Ok where is everyone getting the deals????

I'd love to know too! Or if anyone in the Philly/South Jersey area knows of a local source?

Thanks - Pat

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

uhhhh....

i "scoop" what I need and then grab the bag adn squeeze out all the air... tie with rubberband, and then tape the box shut. It sits in my pantry...

This is EXACTLY what I have been doing for years.

What's with all the freezing and portioning out of 50 freakin' pounds of shortening? Good Lord! LOL

It's just fine at cool room temperature in its original packaging.

Thank God for my digital scale ~ I scoop out what I need, measure by weight, and close the box.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 42

Hey Cakepro--how much, by weight, do you use for a recipe of BC? I feel like I'm asking such a stupid question, but I'd like to start doing this too!

Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 42

Not a stupid question at all! icon_smile.gif

I use one cup of shortening per pound of sugar for my crusting buttercream.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #21 of 42

annez-Hi I buy my powdered sugar from my local grocery store by the case when it's on sale. My buttercream recipe calls for 3- 2lb bags, so I just grab three out of the box when I need it. HTH

Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by annez

May I ask a silly question, related to this storage issue? I'm assuming if you guys are going through that much shortening, you're also going through a ton (literally?) of powdered sugar. How do you store that?

I just decorate a few cakes here and there for fun, and find myself going through quite a bit of it anyway, and this thread made me wonder about the powdered sugar too...

thanks icon_smile.gif

I buy 50 lb bags of Domino's 6x powdered sugar from Sam's and just use a large ladle to scoop it out. I measure everything by weight so I buy in bulk and store in original packaging in a cool, dry place.

annez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annez Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #23 of 42

thanks much!

kellertur Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

What's with all the freezing and portioning out of 50 freakin' pounds of shortening? Good Lord! LOL
It's just fine at cool room temperature in its original packaging.

I don't have a pantry. I'd rather not have a 50lb box sitting in my dining room (right off my kitchen) when potential clients walk in. icon_smile.gif I'm just trying to find clever ways to store it, so I thought of those buckets Satin Ice comes in. icon_confused.gif Freezing isn't an option for me.

I haven't had much luck "scooping"- takes forever, and my concern was dust, hair, etc. getting into the box (forced hot air registers for heat).
Needless to say, I have a small house, with very little storage. I'd rather my home not look like "Wholesale Depot". icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #25 of 42

I learn something new everyday! I have never heard of a house without a pantry. I guess storage of bulk items would be an issue! icon_smile.gif

If you use a large stainless steel serving spoon, scooping shortening is a breeze. I roll that spoon across the shortening like I'm scooping ice cream and can generally come up with a cup and a half per scoop. icon_biggrin.gif

The Satin Ice buckets seem perfect for your purpose, unless it imparts that plasticky (new word LOL) smell into the shortening. I just opened a new 20 pound bucket a few minutes ago and got hit with that lovely Satin Ice smell. LOL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I have been portioning it out into the amount needed for a batch of icing or I put it into ice cream tubs, wrap or top off with saran wrap and pop into the freezer. I've done this for 2 years and have had no problems. I just do cakes for friends and family so I don't go through it fast enough to sit on my shelf for a year or so. What I find amazing is how much the price for 50# had gone up in just a year. The first time I bought a box of Sweetex - $62! The next year it had jumped to $92!!

Wow, when I saw the prices you quoted I thought for sure you had to live in Canada. I pay $38 for 50lb of hi-ratio shortening from a local baker's supply wholesaler.
I thought that was a lot, but I guess it's pretty cheap in comparison to what you're paying. Wow! icon_eek.gif

Is that the price including shipping? I can just go pick mine up so I don't have to pay shipping, maybe that's the difference?

I leave mine in the original box also, but I have a room dedicated solely to baking stuff/supplies.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #27 of 42

for 50 lbs. high ratio I use a heavy duty rough neck tote. with a snap hidge lid. It sells tight is easy to get to.

for power sugar and granulated sugar and flour I use the rubbermaid
christmas wrap containers they are tall and skinney holds a fifty lb. bag nicley has a great snap on lid that seals tigh.

I purchase gallon size containers of watkins vanilla reg. and clear itis so much cheaper in a gallon jug. then I put a pump on the top and it sits on the self ready for use.

the health dept. love the idea said it would keep everything cean and sanatary.

kellertur Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #28 of 42

Deb, I pay about $30.00 (plus shipping), my "dealer" is a few states away. I was buying Spectrum, organic shortening at a whooping $7.89/24oz!!! icon_eek.gif This is the same quality ingredients at a fraction of the cost. Now I know why my costs just weren't adding up... I was spending TOO much.

I really like the metal spoon aproach... it's like scooping "icecream", you say? I'll have to try that, and wear a "soda jerk" hat while I'm at it! (Eggcream, anyone?) ---> no eggs involved. icon_lol.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #29 of 42

I use about 2.25 lbs for sugarshacks BC recipe for a 4.5 KA. I think someone once said 1 cup of HRS weighs 7 oz?

I can't convert my scale to weigh in just ounces.. it converts to lbs automatically. Anyway....

I don't have a "pantry" really. Basically my parents kicked me out of the kitchen for storing cake stuff. I get the Utility room off the kitchen with the big freezer. I will take what I can get! haha.

For my PS and Flour, sugar, I use these big plastic barrel looking things. (They hold pork rines usually.. ) I just haven't found nice ones with nice sealing lids elsewhere, but when I do I will upgrade icon_biggrin.gif

I am moving out on my own soon and don't really have money for cake supply stuff right now icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #30 of 42

annez- for powdered sugar storage:

I've seen bakers with the 1,2, or 3 compartment plastic containers (very deep) on wheels in a metal frame, they held flour, 10X, and sugar. They had them used at my local restaurant supply store for over $100! A friend of mine thought of using bins (that look just the same) from a pet store chain that hold large amounts of dog food -works like a charm! It probably needs a plastic liner, but they are rectangle in shape and very deep, so wouldn't take up as much space on the floor.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YYR9W/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%