What To Do With 50Lbs Of Shortening??? Storage?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm by favrtdtr

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #31 of 42

Just wanted to add that I used a 50# block once (tried it .. didnt' like the taste ... went back to crisco). It sat in the original box/bag on the metal shelving in the kitchen.

I can't afford freezer space to something that doesn't need to be frozen.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #32 of 42

dkelly,

That $92 was for the 50# box of Sweetex plus tax that I picked up at Gordon Food Service. No shipping! I was utterly shocked!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #33 of 42

Wow Christeena that's a LOT of money! icon_eek.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #34 of 42

I didn't buy sweetex... but it was still high ratio.

50# for about $70 V 33 for $8

so i can buy a huge block of it for $70... or small amounts for $130....

I have really been happy with the off brand.. so I don't know if I will get sweetex next time for more money.

Deb_ Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #35 of 42

Mine is not *Sweetex* either, I buy it from a local wholesaler. I think it's Alpine brand, (I don't feel like getting up and going downstairs to check)it's hi-ratio............but like I said 50lbs for $38 w/tax and I don't need shipping.

icon_smile.gif

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #36 of 42

I just buy the Paint buckets with lids from Home Depot (closes AWESOME) I store my PS, cake flour, reg flour, Hi Ratio Shortening, and Sugar. ... works like a charm.

(Im a Home Depot Girl) dont ask what I Ice my cakes with LOL...(can we say... spackle??) Hubby thinks IM NUTS... (I think hes right)
LOL

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #37 of 42

pinkbox~ are those paint buckets food safe? (I mean, can I scoop it directly into the bucket (after I sanitize it), or do I have to line it with something?)

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:02am
post #38 of 42

Thanks for all the responses, but I still have another question? I heard here on cc that if you don't use it up so fast (6mon) at the most than it starts to taste and smell a little off. I don't know how true that is. I really don't use that much and it might last me a year. Ha But does anyone really know shelf like to shortening? I really son't want to freeze I figure if it's in a selaed tight container/bucket can I just leave it?

Deb_ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Thanks for all the responses, but I still have another question? I heard here on cc that if you don't use it up so fast (6mon) at the most than it starts to taste and smell a little off. I don't know how true that is. I really don't use that much and it might last me a year. Ha But does anyone really know shelf like to shortening? I really son't want to freeze I figure if it's in a selaed tight container/bucket can I just leave it?

The wholesaler that I purchase mine from also says it's shelf life is 6 months........as long as this particular brand doesn't undergo big fluctuations in temp.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #40 of 42

Can I ask a dumb question? What does high ratio mean?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624064.html

About 1/2 way down the thread, I asked the very same question. JanH came to my rescue with some great links.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624064.html

About 1/2 way down the thread, I asked the very same question. JanH came to my rescue with some great links.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

THANKS so much - I really appreciate it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%