For All Of Those Scared Of Fondant

Decorating By burgderb Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm by grandmom

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 19

OK I am no professional by any means but just do cakes for my own kids, friends have just started asking me to do cakes for their kids, I just did an all buttercream cake, I usually use MMF. Buttercream is way harder, more work and mine didn't look so good I actuall cried making this cake
LL

18 replies
jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 19

Okay, is this the cake you did and didn't turn out so good? I'm absolutely in love with this cake.

burgderb Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 19

you are too kind, my sides aren't square my corners well, there are dents and smoosh marks and I think i put at least two thumb prints on the sides. I am in awe of all the perfect work we see here on CC and when you try to do it well ...

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 19

in my opinion buttercream is way harder you're right...but you have a talent for it. i dont know why you cried about that cake it looks good in the picture and im sure the bday girl loved it. maybe youre being too hard on yourself.

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 19

I think it comes back to being our worst critic. I'm by far still a newbie and looking at that cake as I would if I was the one paying for that cake..it would be perfect. I really do like it very much, I have a 6 yr old girl who loves Hannah Montana, and its honestly a cake that I would love, and that she would love. Great job.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 19

I think it looks great! I couldn't pull off a sheetcake to save my life! icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 19

You tagged me, I'm scared of fondant. This cake looks great!! If there are smooshes or dents I can't see them and I doubt the party guests didn't either. I understand the tears though, I have been pretty frustrated at times when my work just wasn't what I wanted it to be. Much of the time I don't even take pics of those cakes. I just want to forget them. Cheer up now. You do great work!!

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 19

This cake is absolutely beautiful! You are being way too hard on yourself! I'm terrified of fondant and not great with smoothing buttercream. I'm guessing it all gets better with practice, practice, practice...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 19

OMG!!! THAT'S ABSOLUTELY THE WORST CAKE I EVER SAW!!!
THERE! ImageImage
Are you mad now? The cake is lovely, hun. If you're used to fondant, you may think that buttercream is rough. To me, that is the beauty of buttercream - the' touch of the potter'.

burgderb Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 19

Wow thanks you guys are all really kind, although all your comments have made me feel much better, CC 'ers are really nice people. I really only posted as there are so many posts on here about fondant, and I just wanted to say if you can do buttercream well , I think you can do anything
thanks

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 19

I know exactly how you feel -- I started out doing fondant cakes and think buttercream is WAAAYYY harder. Friends started asking me to do cakes and someone wanted a buttercream so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was up half the night crying and swearing I'd never make another cake again! Needless to say, I'm still making them and slowly learning more and more about buttercream.

I think your cake looks GREAT! We are definitely always our worst critics. You have to remember that people are asking you to do cakes because they think you're good at it and they couldn't do it themselves. They don't see every little "imperfection" that we agonize over! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 19

There was sure no reason to cry over that cake. It looked great! And remember.....have some fun with your hobby!!!!! You're doing great!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 19

I saw your post... your cake looks absolutely terrific. I love to see the different interpretations of the Hannah Montanta cakes here on CC.

I had my first real experience with fondant on the doll cake I did and just really thought it was soooo much easier to do than buttercream. I mean, the overall effect I was trying to go for was there (making it look more like fabric, draped look, etc.). However, buttercream to me is so much easer to decorate with!!!

I got nothing but praises and wonderful comments on the sugarpaste. The people had never ate it before and was just all fighting over who go to eat it! icon_lol.gif

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 19

Hey, At first I thought that WAS fondant. It's really beautiful. We really are our own worst critic. I can look t a cake I just made and think wow I did a good job and then the more I look at it I start picking it apart. Ew I don't like that part, aw look how lumpy , that kind of thing.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 19

I love your cake, and yes we are hard on ourselves...I am of my cakes, I always think they dont look good. I always ask are you sure I can take this cake over and it will be ok?

but Id rather work in b/c than fondant ...we do not get along, fondant and I...I dont like it, and I dont like how it taste either. to me a challenge is seeing what I can do with b/c and if I can maybe do a cake that is made from fondant but in b/c.

I love b/c! lol....

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 19

thumbs_up.gif Looks Great! Buttercream is never perfect. and I promise you see flaws other can't even findicon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 19

So how did all you fondant people learn to work with it? I missed the Wilton class that was going to do fondant. I tried rolled bc once and vowed never to do that again. It was such a mess. And I was SO frustrated! I'd take a class to learn fondant if one were available, I just don't want to waste a lot of time doing it. So much of the Wilton classes I tool was so incredibly boring I just lost interest. I'd like to learn to cover cakes with fondant because I'd like to be able to offer it. What to do................

MissPrettyInPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissPrettyInPink Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #18 of 19

I think the cake looks great! The only reason you see all these "perfect cakes" on CC is because the camera hides the flaws. Everyone is always their worst critic. Just remember, you possess a gift that not very many people have. When people outside of the cake decorating world look at your cakes they think, "Wow, I wish I could do that. You're so tallented." I'm not just being nice. It's true. So many people can't even begin to comprehend how we do the things we do. I'm sure your friend loved it and it looks ten times better than any cake you get at the grocery store bakery. They use plastic for their decorations, not too much skill needed. (No offence to the bakery workers out there.) Cake decorating is a very difficult art form and you're doing a wonderful job at it! icon_smile.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #19 of 19

CarolAnn, I never had a class of any kind on decorating. I just read everything I could find about using fondant, which back then wasn't that much and only available from Wilton, at least around here. However, I did make my first fondant outright, from a Wilton recipe, and it actually tasted and handled very well.

I am only speculating, but I think fondant came easy to me because I have decades of experience with pie, cookie and biscuit dough, as well as making homemade breads and all that. The process is similar, and I think one develops a sixth sense about "doughs" with experience. Fondant is just another dough, kinda sorta.

Just try it. I personally think BC is EVIL (tasty creamy EVIL, the worst kind!!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%