Any Tips For Rbc (Rolled Buttercream)?

Baking By iheartcookies Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm by KookieKris

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 20

I had made a batch last week and finally got around to making the cookies yesterday. OMG I am in love with the taste of the RBC. but I have issues with getting it on the cookie properly. I rolled it very thin, and put it in the freezer for a couple minutes since I had read that tip. I tried to position it on a warm cookie- didn't work quite right and moving it once it is down was impossible. So I tried the corn syrup as glue approach on a cooled cookie- that worked a little better but it is so hard since it is so thin. are there any tips yoiu can give me for getting it on there right? an easier way??

and also- how would I go about getting two different colors? just layering- is that the only way? or is there some genius tip someone can share?

19 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 20

I just made my first batch of rolled buttercream last night and I plan to use it tonight... can't wait!! The taste is sooo good.... I could have eaten the whole bowl!!!

I don't have any really good tips for you since I too have never used it before but I would think you would want to not roll it as thin as you have it, unless you need to for some reason. I am going to roll it the same thickness as I would when attaching fondant to a cookie.

Can't wait to see how it is to work with.. different "texture" than fondant ....close but different !!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 20

I've never used RBC. I usually go with Michele Fosters fondant. I haven't tried the rbc cuz I heard several people say it was so greasy. Is that not true? What I read kind of grossed me out so I never tried it. But its really good huh? Maybe I'll have to try

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 20

Leave your cut out icing on the waxed paper or whatever it was frozen on and place your cooking on top and then in one motion flip it over and peal the paper off. This way you can center it carefully before pressing down to anchore it and then flip it over.

iheartcookies Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 20

mcdonald, I rolled it really thin after reading a lot of posts on here about how sweet it was- others were saying they rolled it so think to cut back on it being too sweet. I liked the taste with it so thin, if I could just figure out a way to get it on there and still holding it's shape

toleshed- I didn't find it too greasy at all. It was really greasy when I made it and then when I would pull a piece off to roll it, but since I was rolling with PS by the time it was rolled out it was not greasy at all.

iheartcookies Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Leave your cut out icing on the waxed paper or whatever it was frozen on and place your cooking on top and then in one motion flip it over and peal the paper off. This way you can center it carefully before pressing down to anchore it and then flip it over.

I didnt even think to try this- thank you! I will be trying it this way tomorrow!

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 20

I tend to roll mine thick. That way I can move it around and smooth it out a bit with my finger to position it correctly on the cookie. The taste can't be beat when it comes to a cookie!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 20

(sing-song voice) LOVE IT!!

Our cookies are very thick so I don't roll it VERY thin but it's a great balance for them.

I roll out cold RBC on lightly floured wax paper and then pull the excess RBC off the paper because ANY touching will ruin the shape, and the whole paper gets placed on a cookie sheet in the freezer. I freeze them hard (often the day before) and then peel them off the paper and put it on a HOT cookie right out of the oven. But since it's frozen enough I can hold them for a few seconds and get them placed right. You're right, once they're down they don't move! Although if there is a dent or something, as it cools I can usually use my thumb to push/pull it back into shape.

This works well for me but if anyone else out there has better suggestions, I'm all ears!

We usually decorate with piped or stenciled Antonia74 so I'm not sure what you mean by layering and I'm not sure how well RBC would stick to RBC (maybe, I just don't know) but I would cut out a doughnut shape to put on the cookie and then another circle inside of that so they would both stick to the cookie. Hopefully that helps you.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 20

I use a fondant roller to roll out my RBC. I also place mine in the freezer to make it a little firm. Once out, I go around the edge of it with my finger to clean it up.

It is greasy. However, I found out that if you leave your decorated cookie sitting out overnight, the greasiness will go away. I put mine in pizza boxes when doing this step.

I have also layered RBC on RBC. Used the corn syrup as glue and did not have a problem.

Pearl70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl70 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #10 of 20

how does this rbc dry? meaning can you use the edible markers on it like you can with the mmf?

Pearl70 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 20

bump....

I am going to try the rbc on my cookies today and wanted to know how it dries? will it be like the mmf or will it be softer. I need to make a bouquet.
Thanks Pearl70

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 20

Seems like I tried a marker one time and it didn't work. If you try it, let the cookie sit overnight so the greasiness will go away.

It dries hard enough that you can stack them, but doesn't dry rock hard.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 20

I use RBC often when decorating cookies. It will "setup" but never get hard, it will stay soft, but firm up on the surface. I roll mine out right on the counter, using powdered sugar to keep it from sticking, then use a VERY thin spatula to scoop it up, transfer it to my hands, then "place" it on the cookie....lining up the bottom edge first, then laying it off to the top of the cookie.

It will not set up as firm as MMF or fondant and due to its greasy nature, you will not be able to use foodoodler pens....as least I've never been able to. I have also found that since I use powdered sugar to roll mine out, it tends to reduce the shine and by morning, they're very mat looking. Good luck to you!

Pearl70 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 20

here are my results with candy clay. I really liked the taste because it is not as sweet as the RBC.
LL

steddy1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steddy1974 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl70

here are my results with candy clay. I really liked the taste because it is not as sweet as the RBC.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is candy clay?

Thanks,
Stacey

Pearl70 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddy1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl70

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is candy clay?

Thanks,
Stacey

It is chocolate and karo syrup. I used the White Almond Bark instead of candy melts.

steddy1974 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #17 of 20

Does it stick on the cookie when you cut it out and put it on the cookie or do you have to use additional karo syrup to attach it?

Thanks!

Pearl70 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddy1974

Does it stick on the cookie when you cut it out and put it on the cookie or do you have to use additional karo syrup to attach it?

Thanks!

I cut them and placed them in the freezer while the cookies baked as soon as I removed them from the oven I placed the candy clay directly on the warm cookie.It then stuck without any extra karo.
The recipe I used was,

160z. Almond Bark
1/3 cup Karo

Heat choc in micro for 1 minute remove, stir and micro again for 30 sec.
stir and add karo. It will look like fudge(thick)
pour onto a plate lined with wax paper and cover with wax paper or saran and let cool. It will need to be kneaded before you roll it out. Sometimes it is a little harder to knead then other times. But it is easy to work with. Or at least it has been for me.

hth
Pearl70

steddy1974 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks so much for all the information!

Stacey

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:56pm
post #20 of 20

I've never heard of the candy clay ~ can't wait to try it!!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%