Lhas Anyone Used The "dry" Colors?

Decorating By Ponygirl1 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm by jjkarm

Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 13

I saw Alton Brown one day, talking about using dry food coloring instead of paste, etc. (he had several colors in tubes). I haven't looked around for it yet, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience using it. Looked like it would be really cool...talk about no mess!

12 replies
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #2 of 13

Yes, I've used CK powdered colors, but I wasn't really impressed. For years now, I have happily used Americolor and Wilton.

There is still some mess involved, no matter what type of coloring you're using. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:45am
post #3 of 13

The powdered food coloring isn't as handy as I thought it would be.... I actually use them for shading, etc. when working with dry RI or fondant.

jules06 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:22am
post #4 of 13

I use the powders / chalks for flowers icon_biggrin.gif

Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks to everyone....I'm really disappointed now....I was thinking it would be so cool..guess I'll just stick with the paste! icon_cry.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #6 of 13

ponygirl1- i just bought red powder and the store manager promised icon_confused.gif me that i could get a pretty pink if i gently sprinkle in a little at a time.

going to give it a try tonight. I am up to my arm pits in chocolate mousse and raspberry puree. yum.

gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 13

I've used them for different reasons. I use powder when I need deeper colors, and to dry dust. I love them.

Sandy

Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 13

I made the White chocolate almond buttercream frosting from freddyfl this morning. I sprinkled in red dry food coloring until I got a creamy pink color - very vintage faded pink. I like using this much better than gel.

I would recommend trying the dry fc. The store manager said that she buys only primary colors (red, yellow and blue) and then mixes to get the perfect hue/tint.

By the way - I added a little raspberry liquor to the frosting after the chocolate was added - omg - this is the best! So smooth and creamy.

bebea Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 13

i haven't used powdered color in years, since my mom first started decorating. i liked them for small amounts of color, but not large. it seemed to get gritty and hard to mix in large amounts.

Bluehue Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 13

I only use powdered colours, i find it so much easier to gauge how deep the colour is.
Plus i believe the range of colours is far wider than pastes. For example i have 11 different greens and 7 different yellows - makes life easy when you need a certain shade.

I still get into a *powdered mess* sometimes icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif - but i wouldn't swap back to pastes.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 13

Crystal Colors. Love them! I needed champagne color.... tried all the combos suggested... never got it quite right with the gels. Bought the champagne color in Crystal Colors -perfect! Just ordered more colors at Global Sugar Art. As a matter of fact, the box just arrived! icon_biggrin.gif

jpmama Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 13

I bought my first powdered color today. The lady who owns the cake decorating store told me it is the best way to get a true red. I'm trying it this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes!

jjkarm Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 13

I've used red powdered coloring in my gum paste and get a beautiful rich red color. It can, however, still be a little messy when kneading it in. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%