Lhas Anyone Used The "dry" Colors?

Decorating By Ponygirl1 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm by jjkarm

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #1 of 13

I saw Alton Brown one day, talking about using dry food coloring instead of paste, etc. (he had several colors in tubes). I haven't looked around for it yet, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience using it. Looked like it would be really cool...talk about no mess!

12 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #2 of 13

Yes, I've used CK powdered colors, but I wasn't really impressed. For years now, I have happily used Americolor and Wilton.

There is still some mess involved, no matter what type of coloring you're using. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:45am
post #3 of 13

The powdered food coloring isn't as handy as I thought it would be.... I actually use them for shading, etc. when working with dry RI or fondant.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:22am
post #4 of 13

I use the powders / chalks for flowers icon_biggrin.gif

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks to everyone....I'm really disappointed now....I was thinking it would be so cool..guess I'll just stick with the paste! icon_cry.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #6 of 13

ponygirl1- i just bought red powder and the store manager promised icon_confused.gif me that i could get a pretty pink if i gently sprinkle in a little at a time.

going to give it a try tonight. I am up to my arm pits in chocolate mousse and raspberry puree. yum.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 13

I've used them for different reasons. I use powder when I need deeper colors, and to dry dust. I love them.

Sandy

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 13

I made the White chocolate almond buttercream frosting from freddyfl this morning. I sprinkled in red dry food coloring until I got a creamy pink color - very vintage faded pink. I like using this much better than gel.

I would recommend trying the dry fc. The store manager said that she buys only primary colors (red, yellow and blue) and then mixes to get the perfect hue/tint.

By the way - I added a little raspberry liquor to the frosting after the chocolate was added - omg - this is the best! So smooth and creamy.

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 13

i haven't used powdered color in years, since my mom first started decorating. i liked them for small amounts of color, but not large. it seemed to get gritty and hard to mix in large amounts.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 13

I only use powdered colours, i find it so much easier to gauge how deep the colour is.
Plus i believe the range of colours is far wider than pastes. For example i have 11 different greens and 7 different yellows - makes life easy when you need a certain shade.

I still get into a *powdered mess* sometimes icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif - but i wouldn't swap back to pastes.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 13

Crystal Colors. Love them! I needed champagne color.... tried all the combos suggested... never got it quite right with the gels. Bought the champagne color in Crystal Colors -perfect! Just ordered more colors at Global Sugar Art. As a matter of fact, the box just arrived! icon_biggrin.gif

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:56pm
post #12 of 13

I bought my first powdered color today. The lady who owns the cake decorating store told me it is the best way to get a true red. I'm trying it this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 13

I've used red powdered coloring in my gum paste and get a beautiful rich red color. It can, however, still be a little messy when kneading it in. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%