Wilton Cake - Fun In The Dungeon

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm by moxey2000

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 16

I am making a cake using the Wilton castle set and it is in the 2008 Wilton book called Fun in the Dungeon. Everthing is going okay (very tedious work) until it came time to cover the top of the turrett's with fondant. This particular cake doesn't use the cone on top of the turrett. Instead you are supposed to cover it with fondant. I have tried so many variations that I no longer have any brain cells! So I am taking a break and hoping that someone has made this cake and can give me some pointers. The really hard part of this is the very top where you have the top pieces with spaces between them, which is what gives this cake a castle look (of course). I can't post a photo of the cake from the book, but hope that someone will recognize what I am talking about and be able to help. I actually tried to use royal icing to cover the top, but RI doesn't stick to plastic and it just kept running off.

Any body got any ideas? If not, it is going to be another Friday night all nighter icon_sad.gif

15 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 16

I did the romantic variation from that set. It's in my photos. I actually didn't do the top turrets the way it said, b/c I thought it was too crowded. Anyway, back to your question. So, you have the turrets, but no cones? So you have to cover the actual turret "tower" with fondant? Or do you mean you have the cones, and THEY need to be covered in fondant?
Here are some tips:
Try to put a small amount of buttercream on it, then put the fondant on that. In case you didn't try that already, the buttercream will act like a glue.
Also, if it didn't come with cones, and you want that look, you can buy ice cream sugar cones, and cover those with buttercream, then fondant.

Hope this helps!!

pipe-dreams Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #3 of 16

Ok, I just read your post again. SO you are actually trying to cover the top of the turret? Like the little cut out square things on top of it?! Wow, that sounds like a real task!
I don't really know what to say. I guess you could try(and I don't know if this would work well or not) to lay some rolled out fondant over the top of the turret. Kind of press down a little on the parts that aren't cut out. That way you would be able to tell the correct circumference and spacing between the cut out spots. Then cut it so that it could be straightened out to use as a template. Or just measure it instead of cutting, to use as a template for the other turrets.
Sorry if that was confusing...it makes sense to me, but hard to explain!

ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 16

I have the cones for the turretts, but this particular cake doesn't use them. The part I am having trouble with is the top where the cone would normally sit. The top is covered inside and outside with fondant. I haven't figured out a successful way to cover it and it still look like the top of a turrett. I have used pipping gel to glue the fondant on but the very top of the turrett with all of the spaces and top pieces is driving me crazy. If I get the pieces covered then I have a problem with the spaces...and can't seem to get it all to work.

Anyway to paint the plastic and it stick? I'd do just about anything now...

ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamcakes

Ok, I just read your post again. SO you are actually trying to cover the top of the turret? Like the little cut out square things on top of it?! Wow, that sounds like a real task!
I don't really know what to say. I guess you could try(and I don't know if this would work well or not) to lay some rolled out fondant over the top of the turret. Kind of press down a little on the parts that aren't cut out. That way you would be able to tell the correct circumference and spacing between the cut out spots. Then cut it so that it could be straightened out to use as a template. Or just measure it instead of cutting, to use as a template for the other turrets.
Sorry if that was confusing...it makes sense to me, but hard to explain!

I get what you are saying. I tried that and if I didn't have to cover both the outside and the inside of the little cut out square things then I could do it. So confused...

pipe-dreams Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #6 of 16

You might try jumping over to the "friday night" thread on the homepage. You will probably get more responses from there!!
Sorry I can't be more help!

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #7 of 16

I know exactly what you are talking about! What a PITA!!!! There is no easy way to cover those square type pieces sticking up. I almost lost my mind when I tried to cover those.

I covered them on the outside first & tucked in (between each cut out) as much fondant as a could. Then cut out small squares and glued them on the inside. In the end I thought it looked sloppy, but I could find no other way to get them covered without spending HOURS on it.

It's the gray & pink castle in my pictures

Good luck

ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #8 of 16

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:57am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinjam

I know exactly what you are talking about! What a PITA!!!! There is no easy way to cover those square type pieces sticking up. I almost lost my mind when I tried to cover those.

I covered them on the outside first & tucked in (between each cut out) as much fondant as a could. Then cut out small squares and glued them on the inside. In the end I thought it looked sloppy, but I could find no other way to get them covered without spending HOURS on it.

It's the gray & pink castle in my pictures

Good luck

cinjam, I know exactly what you mean. I appreciate the tip and will give it another try in a few minutes. I tried painting with piping gel colored with gel color but it doesn't like like the photo and I really wanted to make it look as close as I could get it. And of course, the Wilton site doesn't even carry the photo anymore for me to post and no forum messages to help with this particular problem.

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:21am
post #10 of 16

I am pretty brain fried after spending 6 hours at a car dealership haggling BUT....

My suggestion would be to do it in strips down to the top of the tube part. Leave the lines the strips make. Then score horizontaly to create a stone effect. thumbs_up.gif

Mind you that is NOT what the Wilton looks like. And at this point I can't figure out what you guys are talking about! icon_rolleyes.gificon_cry.gif

But that is an option.

Friday Night Club lurker
Lisa

ptanyer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #11 of 16

Here's what I have so far. One is complete but I'm not happy with the purple part. The middle one is one I just did, and the last one is waiting on me to figure out a way to make it look better and not like &^%#$. I have a total of 10 turretts to do and nothing seems "just right".
LL

pipe-dreams Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 5:59am
post #12 of 16

Those look pretty good, I would just do them all like that. I know what you mean, I like my things to be perfect. But you are your own worst critic. The people getting the cake will most likely love it, while you are just sitting there waiting for them to notice your mistakes. But they never do. They see the finished product, whereas YOU are the one who sees every little flaw while making it. Give yourself a break, they do look good, and castle-like.

BTW, I will NEVER do this cake now that I have seen all the ridiculous repeated detail in the towers. That's crazy!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #13 of 16

I think you've got it down. To ME, they look great! Once the whole cake is together, you won't notice any perceived imperfections anymore. As a whole, your cake will be amazing. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know....this is what we cake decorators do best. LOL Can't wait to see the finished results.

Cris icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 16

Finally finished the cake at 3:00 am this morning. Turretts were really time consuming. Thought ya'll would like to see the finished cake. Thanks for all the help!
LL

pipe-dreams Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #15 of 16

That turned out SO CUTE! Great job! thumbs_up.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 16

Wow! You did a great job on this! I bet the recipient was totally thrilled and awed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%