I Need A Chocolate Cake Recipe For A Carved Cake.

Decorating By FairyPoppins Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 3:26am by andreamen1

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a fire truck cake for next Saturday. I decided to try a dense Chocolate WASC recipe today which I think I got from this site but I can't find it anymore. Well, it didn't turn out very well at all - way too dense and not a good flavor - I've frozen it now to make into cake balls at a later date.

I usually use doctored cake mixes but the cakes are often too light for a carved cake covered in fondant.

Does anyone have a recipe or link to a good, dense chocolate cake please?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 11

Here you goicon_smile.gif Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: *any cake flavor* can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 11

If you've got the Cake Mix Doctor book, there is a recipe towards the back that is called Basic Yellow Pound Cake. I make that recipe BUT I substitute a Duncan Hines DARK Chocolate Fudge cake mix for the yellow mix the recipe calls for. I've done several sculpted cakes with this recipe and it works great. Nice and sturdy, and tasty.

HTH,
Deanna

Chribo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chribo Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 11

OK everyone, I can usually follow most threads, but was does WASC stand for?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.
Chribo

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 11

White Almond Sour Cream .... the most amazing recipe on the webicon_smile.gif

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much! I've made the original WASC and loved it. I hope it tastes as good in chocolate. i also have all the cake doctor books so I'll check out the pound cake recipe too.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 11

Kakeladi, I just had to chuckle to myself so I thought I would share w/you. When I first searched for WASC in the recipes, I came across the other one that uses 8 egg whites. Well I got tired of seperating all those eggs and throwing them out especially because I make IMBC so I'm already throwing out 6 to 7 egg yolks every time I make icing so I just starting making it with 3 whole eggs or 6 for the double batch and I don't like almond flavoring so instead I either use rum extract or just a tbs of vanilla... well I just looked over your recipe and its your recipe!
Anyway, I had a quick question. so I always make a scratch chocolate cake but I'd like to have something in my recipe box for a carveable cake too so if I'm using your recipe to make chocolate, do I use the same amount of flour or do I replace any of it with cocoa?

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #8 of 11

looking for the basic yellow pound cake recipe does any one have it and would mind posting it? I don't have any of the dr cake mix books. Thanks

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

Does anyone have a recipe or link to a good, dense chocolate cake please?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

I made a sculpted firetruck cake using my chocolate WASC recipe. Super yummy and easy to carve. icon_smile.gif

Here's the recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-0-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:23am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bake

looking for the basic yellow pound cake recipe does any one have it and would mind posting it? I don't have any of the dr cake mix books. Thanks

1 package (18.25oz) plain yellow cake mix
1 package (3.4oz) vanilla instant pudding
1 cup whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs

325 for 58-60 mins.

Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325. Lightly mist your pan with oil spray, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour.

Place the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low with a mixer for 1 min. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 mins more, scraping the sides down again if needed. Pour into pans, and smooth out.

Bake the cake until it's golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger. 58-60 for a tube pan. Place on wire rack and cool for 20mins.

Hope this helps. I know I'm late to the game. lol

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%