Help Me Improve My Penmanship!

Decorating By erc11 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 5:16am by cupcake

erc11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erc11 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 15

I write just beautifully on paper! But faced with a cake and a piping bag, I am a total dimwit. I bought the Wilton letter press thingy to use, but I would really like to learn to write properly in freehand!

Help! icon_cool.gif

14 replies
sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 15

practice, practice, practice thats the way I got better. You can also try steadying your piping hand with your other free hand

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 15

If I am printing words, I rest my elbow on a jelly jar or something.

If I am writing in cursive, I move my whole body forward and back instead of just my hands/arms.

It also helps if you can print out a font on paper and use it as a guide.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 15

There is a book out by Mary Ford (from the UK) I think the title is Writting on (OR is it in?) Icing.
It is a life saver for me! I prop that book in front of me and copy stroke by strokeicon_smile.gif I still have trouble (after 25+ rys) sometimes - especially if I'm in a hurry.
As the others have said, practice, practice, practice.........it does helpicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 15

There'e nothing wrong with using the presses. It's just a tool for cake decorating, the same as your icing bags and tips, your special shaped pans, your fondant molds and cutters. There are presses in various writing styles, print and cursive.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 15

I love using the pattern transfer technique with piping gel. That way I can choose whatever font I want, size it correctly for the cake, and never have to worry about my words slanting up or down, or my letters being different sizes, or not being equidistant...it's just such a simple but wonderful way to get a message on a cake.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 15

Take a class in calligraphy! It sure helped me.

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 15

I SUCK AT WRITING WHAT IS A PRESS AN WHERE CAN I GET ONE!?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:44am
post #9 of 15

Wilton has several press sets. You press this plastic piece on your icing and it leaves an impression that you can trace over w/icing.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:57am
post #10 of 15

I have found that if the piping bag is only perhaps 1/3 full it is easier to write. Steady your piping bag by just touching the side of it. You should write with your arms and not just your hand. I have also found that it is easier to write when you start and stop the letters as much as you can. It will tend to be straighter if you do. My writing is never continuous and you can see the breaks between the letters. I practiced on wax paper or anything that would give me a flat surface.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:04am
post #11 of 15

One word: Tappits! icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:11am
post #12 of 15

.....all of the above ...and stand with your feet about 15" apart, when you write. This will let you move across the cake without getting off balance which interrupts the flow of the icing. Your weight shifts from the left foot over to the right foot and your arms are kept steady the entire time. Try it...it works. I also like to make the letters tall and skinny because your arms are moving in a forward, downward motion, as you write. If you try to write with round, fat letters..the movement is also side to side and it throws the rhythm off.

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:22am
post #13 of 15

I took 2 calligraphy courses and they helped tremendously!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:23am
post #14 of 15

Or do like me - avoid it at all cost! I am with Bobwonderbuns, I use Tappits. If not the right font I sometimes print out a font and trace the letters in RI and transfer to cake when dry.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:16am
post #15 of 15

I have found that the slower you try and write with a bag the worse it is, that is if you are writting in cursive. I do not fill the bag real full, and once I get going I don't stop. I use my free hand to help touch the bag as I go, that helps to steady it. Try and keep your pressure the same until you come to the end of a word then back off. I keep my wrist straight and use my arm to go up and down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%