Dish Washing :(

Decorating By kakeladi Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm by SILVERCAT

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 15

Anyone else *still* washing dishes by hand??
I live (most of the yr) in an rv so there is no room for a dishwasher. My hands are getting soooooooo dry from wahsing. My nails are soft and break/split all the timeicon_sad.gif
Who else goes thru this?

14 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 15

GLOVES!

GLOVES!

GLOVES!

Although I have a dishwasher, I wash WAYYY more stuff by hand. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear gloves! My hands thank me every day!

I hate those dishwashing gloves. They're always too big and bulky. Then, they get a cut or hole and that's $3.99 down the drain.

I use latex exam gloves (or non-latex, when I can find them). I usually manage to get a few uses out of one pair, but if I get a hole or bad stain or if my hands are just hopelessly stuck inside, it's no biggie to toss them and start another pair.

I buy 200 at a time from Sam's or Costco and keep a box under the sink at all times.

I also wear them for all housecleaning chores from scrubbing the bathroom to wiping the counter. Any time my hands will come in contact with water or any cleaning agent, I slip on the gloves.

I hope your hands recover soon!

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 15

I have a dishwasher and still end up washing by hand most of my cake stuff. I learned the hard way when I had the crappy wilton pans that the dishwasher does something to the finish. It doesn't effect the pan but I personally didn't like the way it looked. When I switched over to Magic Line pans I refuse to put them in the dishwasher. They cost to much to screw up...lol I've had a lot of tips ruined as well so I try to hand wash those as well. I have a set of the cutters from SugarShack that I put in the dishwasher and they are now rusting. Those suckers were $60 bucks so yeah I've had a lot ruined by the dishwasher!

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 15

Yes I am in that club. I used to have the nail problem too. Buy a pair of Playtex Living Gloves.Those things really do help, I have a pair for the kitchen and a pair for the bathroom.Just make sure they are Playtex and not some off brand name. This is year # 3 for doing my choresicon_smile.gif with gloves.HTH

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 15

I also wash my dishes by hand. I have a diswasher and I hardly use it. I find that with the little bit of dishes I generate for the enire day (3 of us DH, DS (8 yrs old) and myself) it takes longer to use it than to do it by hand. Also my OCD won't let me leave dirty dishes in the sink all day.

I have so many things that I have to/prefer to wash by hand that I might as well wash everything else.

I can only wear the Playtex gloves in small. The latex gloves are to big. I have to wrap tape around my hands to keep them on and to me that's just plain silly.

kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 15

How thoughtless of me not to think of glove when I have a box of disposables right in fron of me at the sink! icon_sad.gif
I guess old age is really setting in hehe

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 15

I got rid of my dishwasher, it was so bad that the dishes came out looking just like they did when they came in.

I use LOTS of lotion because I can't stand gloves.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 15

I use gloves for every single chore in my house. I don't touch a thing without gloves. I hate touching dish water especially when there is food stuck on dishes thumbsdown.gif I also use the latex exam gloves and they are my best friend. As a previous poster said GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #9 of 15

Have you tried the new Dawn Renewal?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:21am
post #10 of 15

HELL NO. I will never, ever go back to not having a dishwasher. 95% of what we use gets put in the dishwasher. The remaining 5% gets hand washed.

I have been using the new Dawn Renewal and I really haven't noticed any difference. I prefer foaming Dawn.

My dishwasher rocks. I can put dried-on egg yolks, Malt-o-Meal, mashed potatoes, whatever just caked on the dishes like cement and between my dishwasher and Cascade Complete, everything comes out clean, dry, sparkling, and sanitized.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:27am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCook

I also wash my dishes by hand. I have a diswasher and I hardly use it. I find that with the little bit of dishes I generate for the enire day (3 of us DH, DS (8 yrs old) and myself) it takes longer to use it than to do it by hand. Also my OCD won't let me leave dirty dishes in the sink all day.

LOL ~ you start out every morning by unloading your dishwasher. Then as you use dishes throughout the day, they go directly in the dishwasher. At the end of the day, you run it. The dishwasher runs, you sleep, you wake up, you unload it. Repeat ad infinitum. icon_biggrin.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 3:39am
post #12 of 15

Call me crazy, but I do both. Not like every one has stated - a little here

and the rest there, but I wash my dishes by hand with dawn and then give

them a good sanitized steam wash in the dishwasher. As if I don't have

enough to do (LOL). Any way, I can't stand dirty dishes. I have the driest

hands in Oklahoma - I think. I constantly use lotion because gloves make

me feel claustrophobic.

kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:21am
post #13 of 15

I tried using the gloves today....uuuuggggggicon_sad.gif
The are sloppy/loose on my hands & short - I can't [put my hand into the sink all the way. But I'll keep trying to use them.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:36am
post #14 of 15

icon_surprised.gif gritswife, do socks make you claustrophobic too? Tight tennis shoes? Tight jewelry? I think maybe we're long lost sisters separated at birth.

I have never heard of anyone else being claustrophobic in the same way I am.

I am not alone. It's such a relief icon_cry.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 15

Go to walmart and get yourself a container of aquaphor slap a big old glop on your hands and put a pair of socks on them when you go to bed. You will be amazed to what that stuff does for your hands! Sorry to hear about your hands I also learned this when I first started baking and was washing by hands most of the time. I use my dishwasher if I have alot of things, but I try to keep up with the mess!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%