8 Inch Round And Cake Extender

Decorating By Wesha Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 11:14am by JanH

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 10

Hi guys,

Question? Will the cake mix extender receipe be too much for two 8 inch round pans?

Wesha

9 replies
cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:41am
post #2 of 10

Depends. Last night I made a plain chocolate cake mix and it was really skimpy, the 8" rounds baked up real thin. A cake extender would have been perfect. But then, I've made the cake extender and had a little left over too. Better too much than too little, IMO.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #3 of 10

I'm new to this. What is cake mix extender?

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoid

I'm new to this. What is cake mix extender?

link to the recipe: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-0-Cake-Mix-extender.html

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:15am
post #5 of 10

Different cake mixes make different quantities of batter. The recipe below yields 7 1/2 cups of batter, which I find bakes up two perfect 8" rounds (each 2" high).

http://www.cakeboss.com/WhiteVelvetCake.aspx

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #6 of 10

I use the WASC recipe
1 box cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt ( I often forget this)
1 cup sour cream (or vanilla yogurt)
1 and 1/3 cup water
2TBS oil
4 eggs (some just use whites of the eggs)
2 tsp flavor
Mix the dry first then add the wet mix on low for 2-3 minutes. Bake 325 for about 50-60 minutes.

This recipe yields the perfect amout for 2 8in rounds that are 2in deep.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:22am
post #7 of 10

I'am sorry but I have a really hard head and I do not understand what is cake extender? can some body explain it to me? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Thank You so much.

Frankyia

Wesha Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

I'am sorry but I have a really hard head and I do not understand what is cake extender? can some body explain it to me? icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Thank You so much.

Frankyia

Frankyola,

A cake mix extender is additional ingredients added to a box mix to make your cakes more fuller and makes it taste less like box mix and more like homemade.

Wesha Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:34am
post #9 of 10

Guys,

I made the two 8 inch rounds with the extender receipe and my cakes turned out great. I just had to bake longer than the standard 38 mins on the Duncan Hines box.

thanks

Wesha

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:14am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesha

I made the two 8 inch rounds with the extender receipe and my cakes turned out great. I just had to bake longer than the standard 38 mins on the Duncan Hines box.

The standard grocery store pans are NOT 2" deep, so a cake mix will adequately fill them.

When using 2" deep pans, more batter is required, so the larger pans w/more cake batter WILL take longer to bake.

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above thread has links to Wilton's cake preparation and serving charts which advise how much batter is required by pan size, as well as given baking times & recommended temps. - and so much more.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%