Large Dowels

Decorating By thecakeprincess Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 3:51am by kakeladi

thecakeprincess Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 10

Where can I find the large dowel rods to drive down the center of a stacked cake? I've only been able to find the small ones.


9 replies
Susie53 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 10

Would the one's that Lowe's and Home Depot have be okay for cakes?

mcdonald Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 10

I get mine at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Just a larger size dowel... nothing huge!! I forget the size of mine... maybe 1/4 inch??

Susie53 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 10

thecakeprincess...are you talking about a dowel rod long enough to go through all the cake tiers?

Biya Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 10

I read on a previous post that dowels at home improvement stores are not considered food safe. Still not sure what the difference is between those dowels and the type at hobby shops. Maybe they are chemically treated or could just be they splinter easily. Too bad though because they are less expensive and come in so many different sizes.

Susie53 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 10

Biya, thanks for the info about the dowel rods from the home improvement stores. I had been wondering if they were safe or not.

snowynight Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 10

I don't know what to use either when it comes to larger dowel rods, because when I made a large wedding cake and used the large dowel it left a taste in the cake.I mean the taste was really bad. I don't know what was on the dowel rod but it ruined the whole cake. I was so embarassed. I got it at michaels so I assumed it would be ok.
I refunded the money and I had to run and get grocery store sheet cakes. I was very lucky the bride and groom said it wasn't my fault. Anyway I am terrified to use large dowel rods now thinking the same thing will happen.

thecakeprincess Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, sorry I wasn't more specific. I do mean the dowel rods long enough to go through a stacked cake.

tonedna Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 10

I use the ones from michaels
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:51am
post #10 of 10

I just came from a newly opened Super Wal Mart. They had a box of long dowels in many thicknesses. They are not Wilton nor specially for cake. Not sure if they will effect the taste or not but they look 'cleaner' than the ones you get at HomeDepot etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%