Help! Cupcakes Shrinking When Out Of Oven.

Baking By littlecakes Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 7:30am by Cake_Princess

littlecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:37am
post #1 of 10

The last few batches of cupcakes I have made they have been shrinking once I take them out of the oven to cool for the 5 min. I have used a few different recipes.
Any one has any insight into this? It is very frustrating.

Thanks!

9 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 10

Are you using non-stick spray on the cupcake liners? The only time I have ever had shrinkage was when I used spray.

littlecakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for your reply. No, I do not spray anything. I have always used cupcake liners only.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 10:58am
post #4 of 10

Could be any number of things causing this from oven temp being too low to over mixing the batter.

Too much sugar/leavening or too much fat or even not enough liquid.

If you used the recipe before and it worked okay then I would try testing your oven temp.

If it's a new recipe and it doesn't work at all for you then I would ditch the recipe.

littlecakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you. I think I will check the oven temp. I have made the recipes before and this is my third batch (3 different kinds I made prevously). I have been trying to blame the flour because I changed over but I don't think that is it.

About over mixing...how do you know how long to mix a cupcake batter??? I dont feel I do. How long after you add the last batch of flour, do you mix? I do it for about a minute then by hand for another 30 seconds.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 10

The only time that happens to me is when I think the cupcakes are cooked and pull them out too early. When you opened them up, did they seem a little doughy? If my finger leaves an imprint, they are not done. If they spring back when I touch them, they are good to go.

littlecakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 10

Well...good point but I poked a toothpick in them and it came out clean. It was very moist but it was done because one of my kids had one 10 minutes later.

Last weekend I made one that shrank and I think that one could have come out of the over about 2 minutes prior so I dont think that is it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro40

The only time that happens to me is when I think the cupcakes are cooked and pull them out too early. When you opened them up, did they seem a little doughy? If my finger leaves an imprint, they are not done. If they spring back when I touch them, they are good to go.

Wow--I was gonna suggest over baking icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The devil is in the details huh?!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:26am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecakes

The last few batches of cupcakes I have made they have been shrinking once I take them out of the oven to cool for the 5 min. I have used a few different recipes.

Thanks!

How much shrinkage are we talking about? Cakes will naturally shrink just a bit after being removed from the oven.

If the shrinkage is great then it could be due to cooling the cakes in a drafty area.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 7:30am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecakes

Thanks!

How much shrinkage are we talking about? Cakes will naturally shrink just a bit after being removed from the oven.

If the shrinkage is great then it could be due to cooling the cakes in a drafty area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%