Fondant Daisies On Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By SueW Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm by SueW

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 13

Can I do that? How would I make them stick and not fall off? Just got a request for a "daisy" cake with yellow buttercream as the backround. I figured fondant daisies would be so much easier than royal icing ones. Any thoughts? Thanks so much, I usually only do kiddie cakes so I am a bit nervous.

12 replies
becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 13

well i am not sure if there is some big trick to it..but i ususally just let the flowers dry and stick them on with some more buttercream....that is what i do....i have never had a problem...good luck!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 13

I do the same and none have fallen off just yet.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 13

The best way to get them to stick is pipe an open circle of b'cream on the back of the flower.
It will make a bit of a suction cup and hold them b etter.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 13

I am also going to be doing a buttercream wedding cake with daisies on it and have wondered if I shouldn't perhaps put a toothpick into the daisy and attach it to the cake like this. Was also worried that the weight of the daisy might just make them slip off.
But, if you are all confident that some BC will do the trick, hopefully I won't have to panic about attaching them to the cake.

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 13

I do it all the time. Just dab a bit of buttercream icing on the back of the flower and press it onto the cake. It won't fall off.

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:47am
post #7 of 13

I just did a cake for an annivesary. Buttercream with fondant daisies. I used buttercream icing to stick the flowers, did not have any problem. My icing on the cake was too thin and kinda melted on the trip. Had to do some repair, but the flowers stayed icon_smile.gif

The picture is in my photos, couldn't get it to attach.

SueW Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all the replies, I feel much better now knowing I can pull this off. I'll post some pics when it is done!

SueW Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 13

One more question, well really two icon_biggrin.gif Do I let the fondant daisies totally dry and become hard before I stick them on the cake with buttercream? Also do you usually use different size daisies? I am doing a 10' square cake with yellow BC and fondant daisies, or do I keep the daisies all the same size.

I am used to doing kiddie cakes and this is my first grown up order so I am nervous icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks again.

SueW

SueW Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 13

Anyone? I have to do them tonight icon_cry.gif Also, do you keep them all flat or dry then sort of bended? Does that make sense?

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 13

I make my daisies well ahead of time, so they are totally dry. I have never had them fall off when placing them on the cake with a dab of buttercream. To have a mix of different size flowers will be fine, It depends on the look you are going for.

SueW Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif I am just about to get started.

SueW Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif I am just about to get started.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%