Wasc Cake Recipe. Anyone Ever Use Cake Flour Instead?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm by Donnagardner

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 23

I use the wasc recipe all the time. I like that it is a sturdy cake and great tasting, but, I wish I could find a way to make the crumb smaller. I was wondering if anyone ever makes it using cake flour for that reason and does it help?

22 replies
cocobean Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 23

...smaller crumb? Anyone?

cocobean Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 23

...it's still me hoping someone has an answer. icon_cry.gif

blawga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blawga Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 23

I'm looking for a really good cake receipe. Any suggestions?

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 23

I use cake flour most of the times when I make the WASC cake without any problems.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 23

I use cake flour in all my cakes, I think the texture is finer.

blawga Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 23

What is a wasc cake receipe? I new so I don't haven't heard about this receipe?

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 23

I have used cake flour before it does make finer crumb, try it

cocobean Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 23

o.k. so joshalow you say you use cake flour with no problem in wasc. But what about the crumb? If you could compare the same recipe using reg. flour. Do you find the crumb more fine? Sorry, about going on and on I'm just trying to find out about the crumb.

...and superstar you used the cake flour and think it is finer. You must have tried it with reg. flour to see the difference. Right? Just making sure! I really want to try it after hearing a few opinions.

Thanks soooo much for responding! icon_cool.gif

cocobean Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 23

blaqga, wasc, stands for, white almond sour cream cake. It's very popular here on cc. You can look it up in the recipes.

Welcome! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #11 of 23

Here again is my *original* WASC cake recipe icon_smile.gif

Kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe

1 box cake mix*
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash salt

3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream*
1 to 1&1/3 cup water*
1 Tablespoon flavoring*
*See notes at end

In a bowl, mix the dry ingredietns; a wire whisk helps.
In KA mixer bowl, place remaining ingredients. Add about 1/2 the dry ingred. Mix on low about 30 seconds; add remaining ingred and again mix on low about 30 seconds until all is moistened. Beat on med (#4 or 5) for 2 minutes. I always timed this.
Pour into prepared pans and bake as usual

*Notes:
I always use large eggs. Any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake. For most cakes a mixture of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond is perfect. A 'part' is any measure you want to use be it teaspoon, Tablespoon; cup; quart or whatevericon_smile.gif
I make this up by the cupful and keep on hand for all my flavoring.
Some people have told me they have sub'd yogurt for the sour cream; some have used juice instead of water. I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup & fill it to the brim (more than one cup - maybe about 1&1/3?).
This makes enough batter for: one 12" round; OR 9x13 pan OR two 8" rounds; OR three 6" rounds OR one 10" sq OR other pans I can't think of right now -- the same amound of batter as if you used 1& 1/2 mixes.
Baking time will depend on the size pan you use. Start with 30 minutes. Let your nose be the judgeicon_smile.gif If you can smell it most likely it is done. If it pulls away form the pan it is overbaked.

cocobean Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #12 of 23

kakeladi, I use your recipe all the time. I'd love to know if you have ever substituted cake flour for the all-purpose. I'd love my wasc cake to have a finer crumb. What do YOU think?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

o.k. so joshalow you say you use cake flour with no problem in wasc. But what about the crumb? If you could compare the same recipe using reg. flour. Do you find the crumb more fine? Sorry, about going on and on I'm just trying to find out about the crumb.

...and superstar you used the cake flour and think it is finer. You must have tried it with reg. flour to see the difference. Right? Just making sure! I really want to try it after hearing a few opinions.

Thanks soooo much for responding! icon_cool.gif

Do you sift the cake mix? If not try sifting all the dry ingredients.
I think the WASC recipe is great, it's a dense moist cake and honestly I think it does have a fine crumb. Maybe because I always sift.

I use whatever flour I have, never really noticed any difference with cake or all purpose, both good, same crumb.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:02am
post #14 of 23

I used to use all purpose flour as I couldn't find cake flour, then I found Soft as Silk cake flour & I love it. I also toss my dry ingredients around with a whisk instead of sifting.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #15 of 23

not that this will answer the crumb question but I wanted to make my WASC a white chocolate wasc? Can I just put a package of white chocolate pudding in it? Wasn't sure if anyone ever put pudding in their wasc, especially since it's perfect as isicon_smile.gif

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #16 of 23

I've never used wasc before. What type of cake are you making with this? Wedding, cakes to be carved. I"m just not sure how to use it

Thanks
Stephanie

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:33am
post #17 of 23

I use WASC all the time - sorry, never tried cake flour, but now that you have mentioned it...

It's a great cake. I love it. I especially like it for a 3D cake, a cake that will be covered in fondant, etc. But it's a nice cake no matter what.

blawga Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #18 of 23

Thank you, kakeladi. I'm going to try this cake. Everyone is posting that this is the best receipe. Thanks for sharing.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:49pm
post #19 of 23

So, I have only used the recipe that calls for egg whites, didn't know you could use the whole eggs. I guess you would definitely cut back on the amount of eggs?????

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:22pm
post #20 of 23

I think the reason some recipes call for just egg whites is to keep it a true white color but I think I'm going to start using kakeladi's because I hate throwing out all the eggs yolks. I'm a home baker and it doesn't have to be super white for meicon_smile.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 23

I always use cake flour and I always use the whole egg and it turns out great. I also sift all dry ingredients whick makes it very easy to mix up.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:44pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

I always use cake flour and I always use the whole egg and it turns out great. I also sift all dry ingredients whick makes it very easy to mix up.

So, the recipe I have calls for double everything, cake mixes, flour, sugar, etc. and 8 egg whites, surely you wouldn't use 8 whole eggs? Any help would be appreciated. I hate dividing eggs.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #23 of 23

Yes I use 8 whole eggs with the double recipe unless it is chocolate and then I use 6 eggs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%