Any Ideas To Help Me?

Decorating By smitakasargod Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 1:39am by frankandcathy

smitakasargod Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 5

I ususally add an extra egg and pudding mix to my cake mix to make the cake firmer. It works ok but I would like it to be a little bit more firm. Any ideas? I have a cake to bake for tuesday icon_confused.gif .

4 replies
onceuponacake Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 5

a friend of mine says she add half a block of cream cheese and it makes a firmer cake, but ive never tried it.

Bossy Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 5

I like the cake extneder recipe that uses extra eggs, buttermilk, and pudding mix.

kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

Definately try my *original* WASC recipeicon_smile.gif

Kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe

1 box cake mix*
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash salt

3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream*
1 to 1&1/3 cup water*
1 Tablespoon flavoring*
*See notes at end

In a bowl, mix the dry ingredietns; a wire whisk helps.
In KA mixer bowl, place remaining ingredients. Add about 1/2 the dry ingred. Mix on low about 30 seconds; add remaining ingred and again mix on low about 30 seconds until all is moistened. Beat on med (#4 or 5) for 2 minutes. I always timed this.
Pour into prepared pans and bake as usual

I always use large eggs. Any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake. For most cakes a mixture of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond is perfect. A 'part' is any measure you want to use be it teaspoon, Tablespoon; cup; quart or whatevericon_smile.gif
I make this up by the cupful and keep on hand for all my flavoring.
Some people have told me they have sub'd yogurt for the sour cream; some have used juice instead of water. I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup & fill it to the brim (more than one cup - maybe about 1&1/3?).
This makes enough batter for: one 12" round; OR 9x13 pan OR two 8" rounds; OR three 6" rounds OR one 10" sq OR other pans I can't think of right now -- the same amound of batter as if you used 1& 1/2 mixes.
Baking time will depend on the size pan you use. Start with 30 minutes. Let your nose be the judgeicon_smile.gif If you can smell it most likely it is done. If it pulls away form the pan it is overbaked.

frankandcathy Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:39am
post #5 of 5

add a box or a half a box of pudding mix (instant)

Quote by @%username% on %date%