Help! I Need To Find A Better White Icing...

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 1:09am by dandelion56602

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 15

I don't know what I did wrong with Sugarshack's icing yesterday but it was very gritty and not at all smooth. I need a more smooth, better tasting icing. I did read something about someone using shortening for SMBC for it to be whiter, is that something I should try? I did SMBC for the filling.

Thanks for any help.

Danielle

14 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 15

wonder if your liquid wasn't hot enough. I always make sure mine is nice and hot to help "melt" the powdered sugar and all.

I have used the brite white icing from this site. It is a nice icing as well and it real white.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 15

The best icing is Indydebi's buttercream. I've tried them all and this one is the easiest to make, the easiest to smooth, and the taste is awesome.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

The best icing is Indydebi's buttercream. I've tried them all and this one is the easiest to make, the easiest to smooth, and the taste is awesome.

Ditto!!! thumbs_up.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 15

I have to agree with the last posters, Indydebi's is the best one that I have found. I also, love, love the fact that I usually have everything on hand to make it. I did have to buy several boxes of Dreamwhip to keep some sort of supply, but other than that, i usually have everything. I make a double batch each time I make it and I adjust the milk and sugar for consistancy, and I have had great results. By the way, it crusts beautifully!

HTH thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the recipe! Thanks

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 15

Here you go.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing.html

I use SugarShack's recipe all the time and haven't had a problem, but my KitchenAid is getting sluggish, so I am going to try this recipe now- sounds good with the Dream Whip!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you so much, I am going to give it a try!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 15

Sugarshack's icing turns out perfectly for me every time. Nice and white and smooth. I do agree that a cold liquid coffee creamer would probably not help. You need to make sure you are filling your bowl and adding things in the right order.

Indydebi's is easy to make but I find it way too sweet. I know icing is supposed to be sweet icon_lol.gif but that one is too much for me. If a client wants sweet+ then I make it. icon_biggrin.gif

cupycakesmurf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupycakesmurf Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 15

Sorry to hijack, but I have a question about indy's recipe. If you leave out the dreamwhip what happens?? Does anyone know? I have meringue power that I could sub, but I don't know if that's even considered something similar since I don't know what dreamwhip is!

Jennifer

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 15

It wont turn out the same without the dream whip since crisco changed their formula. If you use hiratio it will work fine without it and you dont need the meringue powder with hiratio.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 15

Okay, I got it to not be so gritty by adding some really hot liquid. It was hot yesterday, but not super hot, so maybe that was my problem. It is much better.

Thanks, guys,

Danielle

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 15

Jennifer,

Dreamwhip is a powdered whipped topping mix. It is really easy to find, Wal-mart, Brookshires, ect. It is usually on the aisle with flour and sugar and such.

It makes the icing smoother and crust better. I tried without by subbing meringue powder, it just wasn't the same and it didn't crust as well.

HTH

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 15

Is there a icing that i could use real buttercream instead of crisco that crust well?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #15 of 15

I've run into the gritty problem before, but I think it was due to a bad batch of powdered sugar b/c that was the only batch I'd made to turn out terribly. I used it for kid's cupcakes icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%