Stacking 3 Layer Cake ??? Asap

Decorating By calynmom Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm by aswartzw

calynmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 3 layer chocolate fudge cake.
Do I need to put the 3rd layer on a cake board and put dowels in the bottom 2 layers or can I just dam between all the layers.

I will be putting fondant over all of the layers and a simple topper on the top.

TIA !!!!!

8 replies
melvin01 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 9

I'd do boards and dowels for all tiers, especially with using fondant. It's heavy and if you don't use support you will probably end up with a lump.

kathy164 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

HI there!! Chocolate fudge!!YUM!! I highly recommend the boards and dowels. The weight can make the whole cake colapse on you and you dont want that! Just trying to help.

calynmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks guys.

I may go with just 2 layers but was really hoping for some height. I will definitely do the boards and dowels.

This may seem stupid but do I need to put a dowel thru all 3 layers or just use dowels for each layer?

aswartzw Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 9

Why not do all three layers? Just dowel them and you'll be fine. If you are traveling with the cake stacked, it's definitely recommended to do a center dowel.

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 9

Are we talking about TIERS or LAYERS? You say layer is that the cake that comes from one pan? If so you can stack 3 of those just fine no dowels needed... I made one a few weeks ago and traveled with it to work and the customer traveled back to her house and it was fine!

3 tiers (2 layers each) that is a different story... For that you need dowels.

calynmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 9

It's 3 layers. All the same size from 1 pan. Hope that makes sense. Luckily it's for my daughters birthday so I don't have to move it.

Thank you all for your help.

I have just put the dowels in just to be on the safe side. I'm going to use all 3 layers.

Now if I can just stop my daughter from putting her little fingers in it. She's a choco-holic like her mom.

It's a camp rock, pink girly cake. I'll post pics when I get it finished tomorrow.

Thank you all again.

2muchsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 9

I do 3 layer cakes all of the time to get extra height (Besides, I hate torting!). If you're worried about it sliding at all, try chilling the cake prior to decorating and serving.

Have a great time!

aswartzw Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, I thought you were talking tiers! So no, 3 layers of cake is perfectly fine without being doweled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%