Stacking 3 Layer Cake ??? Asap

Decorating By calynmom Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm by aswartzw

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a 3 layer chocolate fudge cake.
Do I need to put the 3rd layer on a cake board and put dowels in the bottom 2 layers or can I just dam between all the layers.

I will be putting fondant over all of the layers and a simple topper on the top.

TIA !!!!!

8 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 9

I'd do boards and dowels for all tiers, especially with using fondant. It's heavy and if you don't use support you will probably end up with a lump.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

HI there!! Chocolate fudge!!YUM!! I highly recommend the boards and dowels. The weight can make the whole cake colapse on you and you dont want that! Just trying to help.
Kathy

calynmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks guys.

I may go with just 2 layers but was really hoping for some height. I will definitely do the boards and dowels.

This may seem stupid but do I need to put a dowel thru all 3 layers or just use dowels for each layer?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 9

Why not do all three layers? Just dowel them and you'll be fine. If you are traveling with the cake stacked, it's definitely recommended to do a center dowel.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 9

Are we talking about TIERS or LAYERS? You say layer is that the cake that comes from one pan? If so you can stack 3 of those just fine no dowels needed... I made one a few weeks ago and traveled with it to work and the customer traveled back to her house and it was fine!

3 tiers (2 layers each) that is a different story... For that you need dowels.

calynmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 9

It's 3 layers. All the same size from 1 pan. Hope that makes sense. Luckily it's for my daughters birthday so I don't have to move it.

Thank you all for your help.

I have just put the dowels in just to be on the safe side. I'm going to use all 3 layers.

Now if I can just stop my daughter from putting her little fingers in it. She's a choco-holic like her mom.

It's a camp rock, pink girly cake. I'll post pics when I get it finished tomorrow.

Thank you all again.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 9

I do 3 layer cakes all of the time to get extra height (Besides, I hate torting!). If you're worried about it sliding at all, try chilling the cake prior to decorating and serving.

Have a great time!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, I thought you were talking tiers! So no, 3 layers of cake is perfectly fine without being doweled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%