Help Please!

Decorating By eliciag Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm by ranbel

eliciag Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 11

I just started my Wilton Course I class last week and this week I need an unfrosted cake baked to take. Well, I baked my cake and I let it cool for about 15-20 min like the box said. When I turned it upside down and pulled the pan off the sides of the cake crumbled. Did I not let it cool long enough? Should I let the pan cool the whole way before I flip the cake out? Help please! I have my 2nd cake in the oven now.

10 replies
JoAnnB Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 11

Before you tip it out, run a thin knife or spatula around the edges.
Then I tap the tip rim of the pan to help loosen the cake.

It also helps to use parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. nothing sticks.

eliciag Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 11

I ran a knife along the edges and it didn't seem to be sticking. When I flipped the pan it didn't seem like the bottom was sticking either. BUt somehow the sides crumbled.

krys1501 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 11

I ALWAYS set my timer for 10 min and dont let the cake cool any longer than that. it comes out perfect everytime

moxey2000 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

Leaving the cake in the pan too long can cause sticking as well. I think 10 minutes is about all I do and I let them cool on a rack away from the oven heat. Did you grease and flour the pan or use a spray?

thefrostedcakencookie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

i had that happen to me a lot when i first started doing cakes no matter how much i greased and floured the pans. then someone told me to use parchment or waxed paper rounds in the bottom of the pan. i've never had one fall apart yet! i just use the bottom of the pan as a template, and i usually use waxed paper because its cheaper.

jenlg Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 11

Ditto with leaving it in the pan too long. I leave them about 10 minutes, no longer.

eliciag Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you for all of your responses. I will take it out after 10 minutes and see what happens. Thanks again!

Teena_Marie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 11

I mix up a combination of 1/2 cup crisco, 1/2 cup oil, and 1/2 cup flour. Then, using a pastry brush, brush the inside of the pan with the mixture (doesnt take much, just evenly coat it). Pour the batter in and bake it. I only let my cake cool for about 5-10 minutes before taking it out of the pan and ive never had a problem with sticking unless i miss spots when coating the pan. (put the extra mixture in a sealed container and put in the fridge for later use). Hope this helps, good luck!

eliciag Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you to everyone! I just took out my 2nd cake, let it cool for about 8 minutes and flipped it and it came out fine. There is only a tiny piece that stuck to the bottom but I was able to patch it up and the icing will cover it. I think I let the last one in the pan to cool too long. Thanks for all your responses, it was a huge help!

ranbel Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 11

I agree, leaving it to cool to long can create a problem.

I also have starting using the recipe of: grease, oil & flour and comes out with a beautiful tan color every time. It appears to me that it also makes the cake more firm on the bottom and sides. Before I found this recipe, I used parchment paper and it also was great.

Glad to hear your 2nd cake was fine and enjoy your classes, I surely did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%