This Young Generation Not Knowing Classics!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 1:54am by Deb_

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #121 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

I have to say there are too many teachers etc involved in our childresn lives for one reason the paycheck and summers off. Teach your children you are truely thier only hope to know our history. My children are lucky to have great teachers who strive to make each child involved and interested. And it is a public school on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak......

My feelings are hurt! icon_wink.gif I am a PUBLIC school teacher, have taught fourth grade for 9 years, and must say that my students knew history when they left me and my classroom at the end of the year. Generally, most of my students would say that history was their least favorite subject in my "beginning of the school year student survey", and by the end of the year, when I gave the same survey, most of them said history was their favorite. While one of my personal philosophies about education is that education begins in the home, (and should continue in the home), there are really good teachers out their who are interested in much more than a paycheck and a summer off... TRUST ME! The pay isn't that great, even with a master's degree, and I haven't had a "summer off" in I don't know when! icon_wink.gif The really good teachers continue to learn too...

Knel....please don't take that personally, I don't think the post meant to include ALL teachers. I do agree 100% with you that education begins in the home.
I remember when my son was entering the 5th grade (he's a freshman in college now), we received a card during the summer with the name of his teacher. My neighbor gasped when she saw who it was. She said she went to the school and requested that her child NOT be put in this teacher's class. I asked why. She said "she gives way too much homework and expects way too much from her students". I thought to myself THAT'S EXACTLY THE KIND OF TEACHER I WANT MY SON TO HAVE!
I will tell you that she was tough, expected her students to give 110% all of the time and in turn she did the same. My son made great strides that year, she did things with that class that I had never experienced before or after with any other teacher. At the end of the year each child was sent home with a scrapbook that she personally made of their best work, and pictures of them that she took and developed, doing different plays, and activities. If you ask Shawn today who his favorite teacher was he would say definitely my 5th grade teacher Dr. Harrop. I'm soooooo glad I didn't foolishly rush to the school and request a different teacher.

Teacher's have one of the most important jobs in this country and unfortunately, sometimes they are under-appreciated. I appreciate everything all my children's teachers did for them. Thank you for doing all that you do and for giving so much of yourself to our children thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Knel and Dkelly you are right not all teachers are like this by any means. No offense implied to anyone. A teacher is one who truely teaches and puts thier heart and soul into it. It is a statement that most new teachers in our school district are not like that anymore. Forgive me if I hurt your feelings.
It is all about the fact that kids just are not getting the benefit of knowing what the history holds for them. My sister in law is in college she had no idea what year Kennedy was shot. She thought it was in the 40's, right about the same time that Reagan was in movies.
I mean, dear god all mighty, this girl is going to nursing school. So I asked who is Ms. Nightinggale (mis spelled) and she replied, "she is the lady who was a spy and invented mold as medicine." icon_cry.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #122 of 147

indydebi maybe we are close in age....in class today I mentioned that my dad was flying over France on D day and the kids in my class just didn't understand the term...they probably thought he was on vacation...not much history is taught unless it is on the graduation test...my daughter is 22 and is in college, she is amazed at what the kids in college don't know about history...
all you older cake decorators remember when tv actually signed off, reel-to-reel tape recorders..and Sundays when there were no stores open....of yes and people actually talked to each other not texted and e-mailed.

don't get me wrong I love technology

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #123 of 147

hammer1, what do you mean remember when stores were closed on Sunday? They're not still all closed on Sunday where you're at? Sigh, I guess it's just here.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:23am
post #124 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

hammer1, what do you mean remember when stores were closed on Sunday? They're not still all closed on Sunday where you're at? Sigh, I guess it's just here.

I used to be a warehouse manager and one of my warehouses was in Nogales AZ. I was working late there one night and mentioned I needed to go to Walmart when I left. My clerk told me I better leave soon because walmart closed at (whatever) time.

I looked at her and said, "Your Walmart closes?" icon_confused.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #125 of 147

I think all Walmarts are 24 hours now. The malls clost at 6 on Sundays. Many restaurants aren't open at all. Hobby Lobby (which is brand new here) isn't open on Sunday either. Is it elsewhere? You can't get a haircut past 6 on Sundays. It's awful! Our grocery stores used to be all 24 hours but now they close at like 2 and open at 6. I swear you'd think I was in the boonies. I'm in Gilbert (Phoenix suburb). I think Phoenix is like the 2nd largest metropolitan area there is and I still can't do anything past 6 on Sunday!

We blame it on it being a Mormon area (please, no one take offense!). It's just darn inconvenient.

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:08am
post #126 of 147

Hobby Lobby and (I think) Chick-Fil-Lay are closed on Sunday. I've seen signs in their store windows saying "We are closed on Sunday so our employees can enjoy time for Faith and Family." I sure respect that!!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:13am
post #127 of 147
Quote:
Quote:

Tonight, Family Guy was doing a spoof on "North by Northwest", that great black-n-white, Jimmy Stewart movie. My daughter said "I really want to rent that movie and see it for real!" SHE knows it's from a JImmy Stewart movie.....most of her friends just think Peter is running from an airplane.

But I notice so many great gags and funny lines in these two shows will slide by unnoticed because "the kids just don't get it".

That is so sad but true. My husband and I have more one thing in common, but this is one of those things that tops everything. He and I are from two different states and different backgrounds. I love older music and history while it's not my best subject has always fascinated me. My adoptive nana is 85 years old and when I introduced my hubby to her he was in awe. She has lived in her neighborhood since the early 1940's and she was telling us how much the neighborhood has changed and how the park across the street was a farmers market and that the house on the corner was a funeral parlor back in the 50's. She said that if the people who lived there knew it was a funeral parlor they probably wouldn't want to live there. And how you would have to walk a couple of blocks to visit the neighbors because houses weren't so close to each other back then. When you owned a house it had a decent yard and a nice long driveway. Not the houses that are side by side and have 3 feet of grass as a yard.

Hubby was like now I know why you love coming home so much. Nana is always giving me history lessons. I loved it when she told him that when she bought the house it cost $12,000. He said that's more than what our '07 nissan cost us. She would tell him how downtown was nothing but water and at one time cottages. How you would have to walk everywhere because not many people had cars.

I remember growing up and our field trips were all these historic places, including the huge mansions in Newport, Rhode Island. I went to the John Brown house when I was about fourteen and one of the historic mills. It was really intriguing. I love the history. My hubby stays on the history channel and if I am talking and ask a question like " what year was this" he says the answer. He knows so much more than most youngins his age. He's 23 and i'm 24 so it's amusing when we start telling my sister (who is also 23) that the hook or music on one of the "remakes" is from a song from the early 40's and 50's. It's like watching these new cartoons on tv. I agree with lorimom.... It was a scary time to live in from everything that I have read and my nana told us about all of it. I still would have rather grown up then. I feel like some people my age don't realize that fashion and technology has developed from earlier stages. My mom and dad love what is called antique furniture. I have always loved the older stuff because it was made with better quality. I have a rotary phone and I love it. (It's from the early 50's)

Today I went to the store with my mom and grabbed a cast iron pot. My husband asked me why I would pay $40 for an old pan. My response: It will last me longer than one of these $80 pans and I can pass it on to my kids without worrying that the nonstick coating comes off and poisons them. My mom told him that when she grew up she would by groceries with a quarter. (I like to see my nephews face everytime we talk about it in front of him) I have a lot of photos of my mom growing up and pics of my dad and I love seeing the cakes and how they have changed and the clothes too. (I wish I could wear a lot of those outfits without someone giving me a crazy look, theres always halloween) I remember I cut my hair in layers and flared it out like in one of my moms pictures and the guys swore I had a wig on ( it was halloween) My hubby was laughing because they would ask him how I pulled it off. ( and I was thinking about making an afro just to see if I could do it. I'm wierd like that, I have my own sense of style.

I don't have any kids yet, but me and hubby love the classic cartoons also and I grew up reading comicbooks and watching b&w t.v. so he says I am too young for my age. He said I remind him of his grandmother when I listen to "oldschool" music and start jammin. I wish I could go to your house bjean!!! I was in the military and I loved hearing the old war stories. My husband never knew that soldiers were by law aloud to stay in peoples homes at one point in time. I don't remember when it was at the top of my head, but I remember being taught that. I'm not dumb, I just have too much information in my head, and it's hard to keep it organized sometimes. Lol!

I'll stop rambling now. Sorry!!! tapedshut.gificon_redface.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #128 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

I think all Walmarts are 24 hours now. The malls clost at 6 on Sundays. Many restaurants aren't open at all. Hobby Lobby (which is brand new here) isn't open on Sunday either. Is it elsewhere? You can't get a haircut past 6 on Sundays. It's awful! Our grocery stores used to be all 24 hours but now they close at like 2 and open at 6. I swear you'd think I was in the boonies. I'm in Gilbert (Phoenix suburb). I think Phoenix is like the 2nd largest metropolitan area there is and I still can't do anything past 6 on Sunday!

We blame it on it being a Mormon area (please, no one take offense!). It's just darn inconvenient.

All NEW Walmarts are 24 hour unless they're in a state with blue laws. The Walmart (not a supercenter) in Devil's Lake, ND still closes every night, it's been there a long time and they've apparently decided that it isn't worth being open 24 hours yet. North Dakota has blue laws so ALL Walmarts have to close at midnight and reopen at noon on Sundays. Regular grocery stores can be open Sunday morning though along with restraunts and gas stations.

And it is inconvenient.

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #129 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Hobby Lobby and (I think) Chick-Fil-Lay are closed on Sunday. I've seen signs in their store windows saying "We are closed on Sunday so our employees can enjoy time for Faith and Family." I sure respect that!!

As inconvienient it might be at times I'm so happy that Hobby Lobby and Chik-fil-a does this. I remember the 'Blue Law', even if a grocery store was open on Sunday's you could not purchase anything that was not edible. Now that was an inconvienient!!! I mean if you were going to open your doors why not just sell it all, lol.

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #130 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiegal01

As inconvienient it might be at times I'm so happy that Hobby Lobby and Chik-fil-a does this. I remember the 'Blue Law', even if a grocery store was open on Sunday's you could not purchase anything that was not edible. Now that was an inconvienient!!! I mean if you were going to open your doors why not just sell it all, lol.

I remember as a kid when hardly anything was open on Sunday. Finding an open gas station was a miracle!! Hubby says he remembers that there was, on a rotating basis, one drugstore open on sunday in case someone needed medicine, and the town paper always let everyone know which drugstore was going to be open that week.

We tell our kids about the days when you had to actually PLAN your weekend and go to the bank on Friday to get enough cash to last you the weekend, AND remember to have enough cash for school lunches on MOnday. No ATM's, no debit cards, not too many places took checks (fast food definitely didn't take checks, restaurants didn't take checks, movie theaters didn't take checks, most gas stations didn't take checks unless they knew you, some mom-n-pop stores didn't take checks) so you had to plan your purchases with cash in hand. They are amazed when they hear this ...... they would have no idea how to figure out 3 days worth of "how much cash do I need?" icon_confused.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:45pm
post #131 of 147

As a very young child I lived in Texarkana TX for a few years and lived in the country. There was a gas station/store down the road and my mom would put her gas and whatever on a store tab and on the weekends my dad would go write a check and pay it all at once....can you imagine that today!!?? Forget Dept. stores being open on Sundays, I don't think the TG&Y or Grant's were open, did not even have Wal Marts at that time! My Hubby and I were talking about that kind of life last night....and I do consider myself to still be young, lol. Remember the Indian head that came across the TV at night when it was finished broadcasting?? Too funny...

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #132 of 147

Bizatchgirl.....what? yes, the stores and restaurants and gas stations etc are all open on Sundays now in Ohio....but when I was a kid, like Indydebi just said there was one drug store open and maybe one gas station and you better not need any groceries, no one was open....I remember Sunday afternoons seemed to stretch on forever...you actually took drives (can't afford that now) and went to see the grandparents etc and talked...I love that I can run to walmart and Krogers etc whenever I need something. ( watch out going in the middle of the night, some of the different people come out at night)...times were different. I remember waking up at night and if you couldn't sleep you read...no tv to park yourself in front of or a computer...on I'm not ancient just 50. icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #133 of 147

My mother is a door greeter at a Wal-mart here in Tucson, and they close their doors nightly at 11pm. The Fry's grocery store in Sahuarita also closes their doors at 11. I don't think that this is such a bad thing. It's better than trying to shop while they are stocking their shelves.

bizatchgirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #134 of 147

I agree with that, Bettycrockermom. Walmart here always seems to be stocking in the most inconvenient places. Maybe because they're 24/7. Sometimes I wish they would just close from like 1-4a for stocking. Of course, then it would turn out those were the times I desperately needed something. We don't have blue laws, just a lot of Christian businesses. A lot of small family owned businesses too where the owner would have to work all 7 days if they were open on Sunday. SIGH. I always manage to find those and they're my favorite! It's the worst that Chik-fil-a is closed on Sunday. It used to be that I was always at the mall on Sunday. We'd get hungry and I'd be thinking oh, yeah, Chik-fil-a sounds great right now. And they'd be closed...I have a coffee shop and a wonderful Indian restaurant 1/2 mile from my house. On Sunday's, I always get a hankering to walk over there for breakfast or lunch. Even had my mom come over for Indian food one Sunday. SIGH. Both are closed.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #135 of 147

Our local Walmart closes at night, but there is one in the next city (10 minute drive?) that is open 24 hours. The mall closes early on Sunday, but its open. I was shocked when I visited my cousins in VA recently and most of the stores were closed on Sunday! Especially the mall. Of course, they were shocked mine was open. icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:09am
post #136 of 147

Speaking of classics, you should all go look at this....amazing!

http://glumbert.com/wii/view.php?name=womenfilm

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #137 of 147

I just now finished reading all of this thread! It's a good one...

Thanks for the link, JodieF thumbs_up.gif It was beautiful; I posted it to my Myspace. I am the biggest movie buff and I know it's because of my mom exposing me to old movies. My kids (11 and 13 also watch old movies and know who the actors are). My son loves Gumby and listening to Connie Francis and my Daughter is the biggest Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and John Travolta fan you've ever met! Don't get my wrong, they still like new junk too but I'm proud to say that they know lots of different types of history.

I recently gave my daughter a copy of my favorite childhood book (Dutch stories by Godfried Bomans) and she took it to school as her reading material; two of the teachers remembered it fondly from their childhood as well. She came home beaming. icon_smile.gif

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:20pm
post #138 of 147

Remember Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom? I loved watching that show. And I remember being scared every weekend watching Creature Features with Svengooli as host. And every Sunday we would watch the Lawrence Welk show. I thought the women were so beautiful with their chiffon gowns and their big hairdos. I'm sure that all the hairspray they used contributed to the hole in the ozone. And the men looked so handsome, so I thought, in their powder blue or salmon colored leisure suits. Of course, I was still young enough that I had to sit at the kiddie table at family get-togethers, so what did I know about fashion?

My 20 yr. old DS used to like staying over at Grandma's house when he was little so that they could watch her Ma & Pa Kettle videos. For some reason he loved those.

I recently got my 6 yr. old nephew the Schoolhouse Rock DVD for his birthday. My brother and I (45 & 43 respectively) were more excited watching it than the kids. They thought the animation was "so old looking".

To this day I love watching the Andy Griffith show. Hard to believe "Opie" is a grandfather now. I especially love it because my dad, who died 5 years ago, bore a striking resemblance to Don Knotts, and his name was Don, too.

Last story to my rambling. When I was in grammer school they used to have the 3:30 movie on one network. One week they devoted the whole week to running old Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance musicals. I would run all the way home (yeah, 6 blocks to and from school, no bus), so I didn't miss a second.

There's a reason certain things are called "Classics". Too bad so many of the younger generation(s) are missing out on them.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:03am
post #139 of 147

It used to be also that everyone knew all of the shows and movies and they had a lot of quotes which became household words.

When I first started working as a decorator, in the late 70's, the company I worked for often sent me to different locations when they were opening a new bakery, to help them get it set up. I had a favorite spatula which I used and I always took it with me. When I walked in the bakery, spatula in hand, they got so they referred to me as, "Have spatula will travel". Even though the t.v. show "Have Gun Will Travel", ended in the mid 60's, that phrase lived on for a long time.

I just saw a post from kakelady and she has as her location...traveling, and it made me think of that.

I don't think we get little quotes like that any more. Clint Eastwood, "Come on make my day" kind of thing.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #140 of 147

OK here's one for you all regarding the classics and cake (if you can believe it icon_wink.gif). I know this was a '70s classic, but check out this Muppet Show cake. WOW! http://www.flickr.com/photos/withoutform/sets/72157601654815836/show/ I can just picture all of the kids at the fair saying "Mommy, what in the heck is that cake about??" However when I saw it I had a flood of memories thumbs_up.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #141 of 147

Oh Wow, what a tremendous amount of work, but soooo well done! I'm proud to say my babies would totally know what that cake was all about icon_biggrin.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #142 of 147

Oh I loved the Muppet movies! I dreamed of waltzing on the L. Welks show, I wanted me one of those chiffon numbers. I loved those times, our children missed out on something great. Thanks you all, for the memories!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #143 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

OK here's one for you all regarding the classics and cake (if you can believe it icon_wink.gif). I know this was a '70s classic, but check out this Muppet Show cake. WOW! http://www.flickr.com/photos/withoutform/sets/72157601654815836/show/ I can just picture all of the kids at the fair saying "Mommy, what in the heck is that cake about??" However when I saw it I had a flood of memories thumbs_up.gif

My 11 yo DD just looked at that cake and said, "Cool! Muppets!

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:50am
post #144 of 147

Here in Canada we have a cartoon network that only play retro cartoons - Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, Pink Panther, original scooby doo, rocket robin, etc! I just got my DD into Care bears and strawberry shortcake. I like how older programs were more for family entertainment that everyone could watch together. I don`t know why everything has to have so much violence or sex or just plain bad language now. I mean I don`t think any of it makes the stories better. Maybe our newer geneations lack imagination to tell a story without all that. I still think a kiss enough sex and I loved when violence was implied but never shown (example you hear the gun shot in the westerns and see the smoke - but there was no need to show blood and gore - the next scene just skipped to the prayer over the grave. Everyone knew what happened - you didn`t have to show it.) I also loved that the good guys always won and you always knew who was the good guy and who was bad just by the way they dressed LOL!
I was shocked when my 5 yr old DD asked me for a phone for her backpack on her first day of school. I hadn`t expected that so early but I guess she has never seen a world where people don`t have a phone strapped to themselves 24 hours a day. I think I have my work cut out for me raising my kids in a world of technology and excess.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:38am
post #145 of 147

What a great thread. I'll be 30 very, very soon and I remember most of the things you all were talking about. ( I wasn't up on the Eli song though. I hadn't heard it before and I am a huge Giants fan. At least I heard of Three Dog Night) Some of my favorite music is 10 - 20 years before my time. I am amazed sometimes at the disconnect even 12 yrs makes. I went to a James Taylor concert this summer, and I was telling my 18yr old cousin, and he said who? He also said he liked old school rap which got me excited. But then he said old school rap was Ice T and Dr. Dre and Public Enemy- not The Beastie Boys and Run DMC.

I heard something recently that kind of bugged me. We have an oldies radio station in my area. I heard them playing Huey Lewis & the News on there. Now that is just plain wrong.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:03am
post #146 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteums

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

"A-one, A-two, A-thrrrreeee!!!"

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:54am
post #147 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobewife

Oh I dreamed of waltzing on the L. Welks show, I wanted me one of those chiffon numbers. I loved those times, our children missed out on something great. Thanks you all, for the memories!

OMG...my older sister and me would take our baths early on Saturday nights, just so we could get in our long nightgowns and housecoats. We'd pretend we were waltzing along with them icon_lol.gif ! I loved the "Champagne Lady" and Joe Feeney. Of course, who could forget Mr. Welk's and a one-a and a two-a and a three-a.................Around here we still get Lawrence Welk reruns on Saturday nights, when my kids see me watching it they say "Wow Mom, you are getting old!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%