This Young Generation Not Knowing Classics!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 1:54am by Deb_

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #61 of 147

I can really date myself. When I would go to the drive in movies with my parents I would always wait to see if they would show richie rich or chilly willy cartoons. Those were my favorites. Now I know I am ancient!!!!!!

sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #62 of 147

Okay, so Im a youngling...26 yesterday...but I remember Taz, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry..and so on..

I have XM radio and two of my favorite channels are 50s on 5 and 60s on 6...

I know what most of you guys are talking about...

"Big Brother is Watching you"!!!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #63 of 147

who remembers when "The Fugitive" was David Janssen not Harrison Ford' and how everyone watched the last program when he caught the one armed man.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #64 of 147

Contrary to what was said in an earlier post, kids today DO know who Adam West is. He's the mayor on Family Guy. Hahahaha
Schoolhouse Rock has a DVD out. Only $9.99!
BBC made a DVD set of Peter Rabbit. My son LOVES the stories with the bunnies.
Disney channel has revived Winnie the Pooh though not quite the original. Christopher Robin is missing...
People who care let their kids know all about the past. Those who don't don't. Let's hope those poor children live close to someone who does...

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #65 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

....knew NOTHING of the history in the film. NOTHING.

That is so sad!! But I love how you countered it with them! How awesome! Reminds me of that Andy Griffith episode where he talked the kids into forming a history club so they'd do their homework ... and enjoy it!!

Indy, This is so funny that you mention andy Griffith. That is still one of my favorite shows and watch when i get a chance but my son who will turn 7 this month just asked us if he could "watch something that had color in it". That just hit me so hard! Dont get me wrong TV has always been in color in my lifetime but part of thier charm is the format of black and white. My DH and I can get them to watch the musnters and the addams family in black and white but not really anything else. It makes me so sad to see the old great movies like "It's a Wonderful life" to be colorized. It somehow ruins the feel of the movie for me.
My kids like the new flubber movie with robin williams and while I do to , they dont care too much for the original in black and white. SO SAD

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:57am
post #66 of 147

Ok...so I remember Captain Kangaroo and bunny rabbit and Mr Green Jeans. Shari Lewis and LambChop, Mr Magoo, Burkes Law , Ed Sullivan Show etc. I remember the Gas Wars when gas was 16 cents a gallon back in 69/70. I remember my grandma's wringer washer and hanging clothes on the clothes line ( no dryer). Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Mortimer Snerd. There are so many good things about those times.

My dad bought us a new TV in November of 64 ( ours had broken years before) because "history was being made" when Kennedy was shot. I was in the 4th or 5th grade...not sure which.

I remember Kindergarten was for socialization skills...playing together..not learning your abc's or numbers.

Coming in from outdoor playing when the streetlights came on. Kick the can, hide and seek, red rover and kick ball.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:02pm
post #67 of 147

I knew I was old when I posted a picture at work that had a caption: "What REALLY went wrong with the MIR." (This was back when the space station was having nothing but problems). The picture was of Doctor Smith from "Lost In Space". The young ones had no clue who the guy was.

Another one....remember how exciting Saturday mornings were? That's about the only time cartoons were on TV. Not like now, where there's the Cartoon Network and you can watch 24/7!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #68 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

People who care let their kids know all about the past. Those who don't don't. Let's hope those poor children live close to someone who does...

To assume that a kid who doesn't know about a certain old TV show or singer has parents that don't care is a little off. What one person sees as a must for someone to know others don't, part of it depends on what shows and music you liked.

The Beatles are a good example, I know who they are mostly because my grandma used to complain about the Jesus comment that Lennon made. I can't think of any songs they sang, I'm sure I've heard them but I don't really like their type of music. My kids don't know who they are because I don't listen to them. The "oldies" I play for my children are normally things like Black Sabbath (from when Ozzy was still with them), Twisted Sister and Alice Cooper.

I'm also not a TV watcher so my kids aren't going to watch many old shows when they don't even watch the new ones. My children do know alot of the old cartoon characters because some of the new stuff drives me crazy.

Not being an old TV/movie/music buff also doesn't mean that your children don't know history. For a 9 year old my son knows alot of history and his knowledge of Egyptian, Greek and Roman myths is really good for his age. This is a kid who would rather to go to England, Italy to see Rome and Pompeii or Egypt to see the Pyramids instead of Disney world. I have been working on his basic knowledge of Bible stories because I think it's important to understanding some of what he reads.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #69 of 147

Mbelgard said

Quote:
Quote:

To assume that a kid who doesn't know about a certain old TV show or singer has parents that don't care is a little off. What one person sees as a must for someone to know others don't, part of it depends on what shows and music you liked.

Of course! It sounds like you're doing a great job and that's what matters. I was just alluding to the fact that there are parents who don't share enough with their kids. Especially about the past. And I must say, the Beatles are a part of history, whether they were to everyone's taste or not. Like Elvis... Uh huh huh

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:38pm
post #70 of 147

I remember reading an article not too long ago about how TV used to unite us as a people by giving everybody a similar point of reference. Back when there were only 3 channels, it was a safe bet that you could talk about a program and know that many of the people you were talking to had seen the same thing. We don't have that any more, and are a bit more fragmented because of it. It was an interesting article about group mentality and commonalities.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #71 of 147

Oh my gosh.....I can remember when the first TV came out, 5 cent ice cream cones....movies were 25 cents.... does that date me. My kids always ask me if the wheel was round....

I have and my parents have always instilled the past in our kids....and grandkids...they get the biggest kick our of the storys of how things were....but it is a big part of our past.....The past, good or bad, is best told by people who have experienced them, if possible.

Oldie but a goodie.........

PinkGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkGiGi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #72 of 147

So, I admit that I did not read through this entire bulletin. However, I really do hate it when I read stuff like this. Do you not think that your parents said the same thing about your generation? That is part about growing up and becoming "the older generation."

I also think that we need to consider the fact that parents aren't putting any type of "historical" education into their children's upbrining. If a child doesn't know who "Taz" is, that probably means they never read any books or watched any shows with Taz in it. That is not the child's fault that they were never introduced to it.

I am 24 years old and am proud to say that I had parents who surrounded me with all types of media, characters, music, etc. Thank you to them for showing how much they loved me!

Ok...I'm done venting...I still love this website!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #73 of 147

I highly recommend that todays' children be introduced to the Laura Ingalls Wilder book series. I am a granny and I still get those books out from time to time and re-read all of them.
Even though I started grammer school in the 1950's these Wilder books were not part of a reading program in school. It is a shame I didn't find these delightful books until I was an adult.

I hurried home from school every weekday just to watch The Orginal Mickey Mouse Club and American Bandstand.
Yeah, history my favorite subject!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #74 of 147

I'm a history teacher by education and former profession (I'm teaching one course now) and pop culture really is part of our history. Pop history can be studied in the same way you study art history...how are these things a reflection of our society? How do these things influence our society? Etc. From a historical perspective, The Beatles are not only an interesting study, but a very revealing study. Life would never be the same in these United States after The Beatles stepped foot on our soil. Love 'em, hate 'em, know nothing about them, it doesn't matter, they have made a big mark on our society and culture. It is very interesting to look at the how and why of it all and to see their mark on so many things today. It's not just about being a fan of the music.

It is so funny to us that our children have become fans of 70s music. Who woulda thunk it? icon_smile.gif Both of our children have also become big Beatles fans and Paul McCartney fans. Music snobs, both of them, and they know more of their lyrics than I do. It is fun to watch Paul McCartney dvd's with them. His Red Square dvd is historically amazing, if you know the context.

One funny story. Almost 10 years ago, our family stopped by a huge yard sale. Our about 10 year old, very inquisitive son, called us over to a table, pointed to an object, and asked, "What's that?"

A rotary dial telephone!

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #75 of 147

This just makes me sad..... icon_cry.gif and then mad.... icon_mad.gif at the same time. I remember sooooo many of the things spoken of here and loved them. What has happened to kid's shows now a days??? They are crud. We LOVED Sesame Street when I was a kid and you actually LEARNED from it. Now it is absolutely horrible. My little granddaughter thinks it is boring. I tried to watch it with her, as I did with her mom, but she hates it. OOOHHHH, what about the wonderful world of Disney on Sunday nights. We waited all week for that!!!!!!! Yes, and the cartoons were actually good!!!!!!! My sister and I were young when "These Boots are made for walking" came out and my dad would play it on the guitar and mom was on piano and we had a cute little dance all worked out..............LOL Such good memories. Deep Sigh........

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #76 of 147

This is reminding me of a time my dad picked me up from school and was listening to the "oldies" station. He's going on about how todays (late 80's at the time) music dosen't make any sense and you can't even understand the words etc. etc. and I said yeah dad "bomb diddy bomb ba dang ga dang (Blue Moon) really makes a lot of sense, I see your point. We both fell out over that one.

Also my DD went through a phase of getting up very early (4:30 A.M.) and we would watch Lassie in B&W, she loved it!

kayjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayjess Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #77 of 147

I'm sure many of you will remember the old game show "What's My Line".. my DH just LOVES that show, and records it every night off of Game Show Network on our DVR (TiVo).. and then records it to a DVD so he can keep them. Our oldest DD (14).. recently started watching them as he did this, and just LOVES the show. It made me LOL when they showed a more recent episode and it was in color.. she refused to watch any more that were in color..she said that it just wasn't the same. icon_eek.gif I told my DH, I bet he never thought he would hear that.. as you know in her age range, anything old isn't 'cool"...but she had gotten better... She does know who the Beatles are and LOVES them thumbs_up.gif as well as Broadway musicals...
Our fun family night it play along with What's My Line... we will take turns hiding our eyes and trying to guess the occupation along with the panel...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #78 of 147

I remember when 8 track tapes came out and thought they were so much better then 45's. I'm sure if todays kids saw one they wouldn't have a clue what it was.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:57pm
post #79 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

Ok...so I remember Captain Kangaroo and bunny rabbit and Mr Green Jeans. Shari Lewis and LambChop, Mr Magoo, Burkes Law , Ed Sullivan Show etc. I remember the Gas Wars when gas was 16 cents a gallon back in 69/70. I remember my grandma's wringer washer and hanging clothes on the clothes line ( no dryer). Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Mortimer Snerd. There are so many good things about those times.

My dad bought us a new TV in November of 64 ( ours had broken years before) because "history was being made" when Kennedy was shot. I was in the 4th or 5th grade...not sure which.

I remember Kindergarten was for socialization skills...playing together..not learning your abc's or numbers.

Coming in from outdoor playing when the streetlights came on. Kick the can, hide and seek, red rover and kick ball.

Soupy Sales, White Fang and Lo Lo! I used to watch EVERY DAY and had to have what Soupy was having for lunch! LOL And JELL-O was ALWAYS ON THE MENU!

bethola Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #80 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I remember when 8 track tapes came out and thought they were so much better then 45's. I'm sure if todays kids saw one they wouldn't have a clue what it was.

LOL and if you wanted to listen to a song you LIKED on the 8 track.....round and round the block until it came back on......NO REWIND BUTTON! LOL

Beth

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #81 of 147

True story -

I was working 3Pm-11PM at Western Electric in the early 80's. All the engineering assistants were way younger than I. One day, one of the EA's comes over to me, just to vent. He started telling me how he has to get his TV fixed. He was watching the Beverly Hillbillies that afternoon, and although he still had picture, the color went out.

I had to shake my head in disbelief.

I found myself explaining to someone not That much younger than I, that back in those days, most television shows were filmed and broadcast in B&W.

He came to work the next day and told me his television was fine.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #82 of 147

Hubby and I predict that one day, a Trivial Pursuit question will be:

"Why do we say "dial" a phone?"

Recently, there was a problem with our local cable company and there was no cable for a couple of days. A newspaper story tells how the cable company had to explain to many callers that if they switch their TV to (whatever the term is), they can watch local channels via the built-in antenna. The majority of the callers had no idea you could watch tv WITHOUT cable!! icon_eek.gif

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #83 of 147

my kids just got the experience of Tom and Jerry. They just love it and are always asking for it now. Just shows that the classics are sometimes better.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #84 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinroses

my kids just got the experience of Tom and Jerry.

This was my dad's favorite cartoon! I remember it came on Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m. and we were in trouble if we didnt' call him into the living room when it came on!

GeminiRJ Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #85 of 147

"Roadrunner" was my dad's favorite cartoon. I don't remember him watching any other cartoon. I had to shake my head when Roadrunner was on a list of unsuitable cartoons for kids because of the violence. Sigh.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #86 of 147

indydebi-- I was just going to post the same thing about kids not knowing why you say "dial" the phone icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My husband is 7 years older than I am, and that's all the time it takes to have totally different cultural memories, apparently. He once asked for Kool and the Gang's greatest hits for his birthday, and I was really confused...I kept asking him if he was sure, because I'd never heard him listen to "Ladies Night" or any of their disco stuff. He finally said he wanted their funky stuff like "Jungle Boogie" which I'd never even heard of! He didn't even know that they'd had a comeback in the late 70's with the disco stuff.

I'm a Beatles fanatic, and my husband was a little kid when they were first really popular, so he thinks that they spoiled him for other music, because it made him really critical of other rock groups. Now he's a jazz lover, and we've been brainwashing our kids since they were born to be critical of bad radio music... We also make a point of doing a family movie night where we show them classic movies, and we make sure that they see older tv shows, too. You have to show it to them if you want them to know about it. My daughter wants to be the Vita-Meata-Vegamin version of Lucy for Halloween this year!

I think that I told this story before, but it's funny...My daughter is 9, and we went to dinner with another family who I know and who has a 10-yr-old girl. The kids know each other, but not well, so they were trying to find some common ground on things they liked. This little girl kept asking my daughter if she liked Hannah Montana, the Jonas Brothers, High School Musical, etc etc, and my daugther kept saying no. My daughter was responding with "do you like the Beatles?" kinds of things, and the other little girl kept saying no. Finally, the other girl was so frustrated, she said "You don't like ANYTHING that I like!" and my daughter replied "That's because you like all the stupid stuff!" icon_redface.gif I was trying not to laugh, but I had to tell her later that people are allowed to like what they like (then I reassure her that the Jonas Brothers will be gone in a couple of years, replaced by the next teen-flavor-of-the-month.)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #87 of 147

Bethola -

I don't remember who Lo Lo is on Soupy Sales, but I do remember Black Tooth and Pookie, and the Soupy Shuffle and The Mouse (which became a hit record!).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #88 of 147

I grew up in the 40's and 50's.......Does anyone remember "The Shadow".... Amos and Andy......Little LuLu.....Elmer Fudd.... sitting in front of the radio...... just looking at it and listening......

With all the new and exciting things I grew up on, I still love to talk to my parents about what they had and didn't have......We tell a lot of storys to the kids and grandkids.....they are probable board by now .....but it's so important that they know where they come from.......Family history is important.

OK off my band wagon......

8 tracks, 78's, 45's rule......!

bethola Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #89 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Bethola -

I don't remember who Lo Lo is on Soupy Sales, but I do remember Black Tooth and Pookie, and the Soupy Shuffle and The Mouse (which became a hit record!).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

YOU ARE CORRECT! It WAS Black Tooth! When "she" wasn't it spoke "Lo, Lo Lo Lo Lo!" and all you saw was the black hand! My bad! I'm OLD! LOL POOKIE the LION! and the Soupy Shuffle! WOW! I wish I could get THOSE on DVD for MY grandbabies!

Oh My Goodness! After reading this thread yesterday I tried to pull up and original Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on youtube. I FINALLY got what I wanted, but, at first all it pulled was the "New and Improved" edition and even the SONG has changed! WHAT? This isn't The Clubhouse! Where is Jimmy and Bobby and Annette!

Okay, Jimmy is probably gone to the "Clubhouse in the sky" Annette is in Florida? Where O Where is Bobby? Anyone know?

Beth

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #90 of 147

Does anyone remeber the vampire TV show on in the lae 70's? I cant remember the name of it. Dark Shadows keeps coming to mind but I cant remember if that was it or not. My grandfather used to stay up late and watch it and I would creep quietly in and sit next to his chair where I thought he couldnt see me to watch with him. One night I got so scared I jumped and he reached down and rubbed the top of my head. Not a word was spoke just that reassuring love pat ont he top of my head.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%