Sheet Cake For Barn Project: Will Cake Dry Out & Other Q

Decorating By caker123 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm by caker123

caker123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caker123 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 11

Hello CC...I'm a total newbie here, just learning about caking. I am a cupcaker at heart, but recently have had people ask me to do cakes. So this is my 2nd one...I have been reading the forum voraciously but I have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with.

I made two layers of a 12x18 red velvet cake, which I will cut into a barn shape, frost and decorate for delivery late Saturday morning. I figured I would just do the cutting/decorating etc on Saturday morning because the gal requested cream cheese frosting so it has to be refrigerated.

I made the cake late Wed night and wrapped it in wax paper, saran wrap and alum foil and put it in a cool dry place. It seems to be fine (checked this morning)!

I would LIKE to work on the cake tonite because I have the most time, and can fix any mistakes that don't do the way I plan...but if I crumb coat and frost it pretty thickly, and put it in the fridge overnight, will it dry it out? I am paranoid about putting items in the fridge due to dry cake syndrome. But am hoping with crumb coat and frosting, it will stay moist...help?

Then I can just add the finishing touches (barn door, window, letters etC) tomorow morning and cut my stress level in 1/2.

Also random Q, but I made two thinner cake layers which I will layer/torte with cream cheese, should I do this while they are still 12x18 and then cut the barn shape OR cut the cakes before then layer and fit the shapes together? I would imagine torte/layer then cut, but figured I'd ask.

Any tips for cutting the barn shape symetrically? I have a shape I am going to try to follow from the party invitation but worry about symmetry. The cake board is 10x14 so I would like to fill it since the cake is larger obviously, I thought about getting a legal size paper and folding it half, tracing on it and cutting it, then doing the same with parchment paper to lay over the cake and cut around.

Last question...(for now!), I made white chocolate transfers for the barn door and window and letters which I will put on tomorrow morning. Will the chocolate melt into the cream cheese frosting or sweat?? I have not put white chocolate onto cream cheese before, but wondering if the frosting will soft and melt it. Any help/suggestions?

Thanks, this forum and you members have been lurkishly invaluable so far!!

10 replies
caker123 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone with some help for my questions? I am working on this tonite and tomorrow, please if you have any insight..thanks!

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 11

I'll take a stab, but hopefully someone will come along with a more confident response. icon_smile.gif I would think that if you torte and fill now, it will be better...I don't know if you would line it up the same etc if you torte and fill AFTER you cut the shaping. For a symetrical barn either check the sketches and template section to see if there is one there, or print one off your computer to use as a template (jsut print it as big as you want it on the cake). If you were to do most of the decorating tonight and throw it in the fridge, I don't think it would dry out for being in there one night. Especially if it's already iced?

Like I said, I'm no pro...and don't typically make cakes that need to be refrigerated...so I hope someone else comes along. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck...I'm sure it will be great.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 11

Not a professional here, but have done alot with creamcheese and never had any cakes dry out in the fridge after the crumb coat, etc. Pretty sure that once you ice the cake you have "sealed" in the moisture so that should be fine.

If you torte/layer/cut you have to make sure your dam of icing will follow whatever shape you have (depending on what you're filling with). Oh wait you said cc didn't you. I guess it wouldn't matter then which method you did, the one you plan on would probably be easier.

As for cutting out the shape, I would draw it to scale on whatever you want then put it on the cake and cut around it....then again, that's just me and I can't cut a straight line to save my life! icon_smile.gif

Can't help you with the choc. transfers....never done them, but hopefully someone can.

GOOD LUCK!!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 11

Well, since others have addressed most of your questions, I will give you my .02 about the chocolate.

I don't think you will have any problem with it melting into the cake. It might get a little soft but that is all.

I don't think it will sweat either, unless you refrigerate it (the actual chocolate pieces, that is). If the cake is chilled when you put the chocolate on, it could possibly sweat some but it shouldn't be major. It if does it should evaporate off by itself as the cake comes to room temperature.

I mostly use candy clay (made with candy melts) but have never had a problem with melting or sweating.

Sounds like a cute cake, good luck!

HTH.

Kim

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 11

.......if I crumb coat and frost it pretty thickly, and put it in the fridge overnight, will it dry it out..

Not at all. It will be just fineicon_smile.gif
..... made white chocolate transfers for the barn door and window and letters which I will put on tomorrow morning. Will the chocolate melt into the cream cheese frosting or sweat?? .

You might get a bit of sweating on the choco pieces but if you don't touch them until they come to room temp it will eveaporate and be just fine.

caker123 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much everyone..!! I will see how things go.. icon_smile.gif

amoos said: "If you torte/layer/cut you have to make sure your dam of icing will follow whatever shape you have (depending on what you're filling with). Oh wait you said cc didn't you. I guess it wouldn't matter then which method you did, the one you plan on would probably be easier."

Just curious as to why the fact that I am using cream cheese frosting (butter, cream cheese, conf sugar, vanilla) would make a diff with the dam or no dam? I am still learning all this stuff...thanks!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

I'm guessing if you're filling AND icing with just cream cheese icing, it won't make a difference....b/c then your dam would be your filling, right icon_smile.gif I just know I always use a dam if I'm using a filling other than the icing, such as raspberry or choc. mousse.

caker123 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 11

Gotcha..good point..!! Makes sense. I just wanted to be sure that we wouldn't have any oozing issues if I cut after I torted. But I will just fridge for an hour to help keep filling solid for cutting. Thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #10 of 11

Hi and Welcome to CC, caker123. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Duplicate post, please also see:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601270-.html

HTH

caker123 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for your help!! The cake turned out pretty good... I have some photos which I can try to upload later. However, man! Cakes are so stressful and time consuming, cupcakes are so much easier!

JanH...Yep the website didn't appear to be taking my post originally (but now I realize it's just quite slow!)...so I ended up accidentally posting twice. You can consolidate posts if necessary. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%