How Long In Advance Can I Make Cakes? Help

Decorating By IdolizedCakes Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 6:51am by Pinas

IdolizedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IdolizedCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 24

I am making my first official wedding cake and the event is this sat. There are twelve cakes in this monster and I am tring to figure out how to get it all done does anyone know how long cake keeps when should I start baking? please any advice would be appriciated! Thanks!

23 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 24

Sorry you didn't get any responses....here it is Sunday. Hope all went well. I would have started baking on Wednesday.

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 24

i would try to get all my cakes baked by wed and then freeze them.

IdolizedCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 24

Will freezing them make them dryer though? I don't know if i have a chioce with this many cakes!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 24

I would be baking today for that many tiers for Saturday. Properly wrapped, freezing makes cakes moister, not dryer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I would be baking today for that many tiers for Saturday. Properly wrapped, freezing makes cakes moister, not dryer.

Ditto. Get that oven on now.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 24

Yes thats what I do!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 24

If I were you, I would get crackin' ! icon_lol.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 24

Freezing cakes make them nice and moist!! Wrap em good in Saran and Foil and you should be fine! Good luck...Can't wait to see this MONSTER!! icon_smile.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 24

How do you wrap your cakes before freezing them?

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

How do you wrap your cakes before freezing them?

Wrap in saran (and use the good stuff from Sam's or GFS .... not that cheap crappy stuff they stick you with in the grocery store! icon_mad.gif ) and throw in the freezer. To thaw, pull out of the freezer and throw it on the counter. Don't unwrap it until you're ready to work with it.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 24

Thank you !!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

IdolizedCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 24

Thanks Ladies I am currently baking now One other question though how I have to transport these thurs night 40 min away this is a family member and we have rehersal thurs night and have to decorate on fri. I am tring to figure out should I pull these out of the freezer one by one decorate and then put into a fridge?

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 24

It only takes cakes a few minutes to thaw (as compared to hamburger that takes all day). It will depend on your fillings and icings, but I never refrigerate my cakes. The only two times I had icing problems was when I refrigerated the cakes ... so I never do that anymore. I ice/decorate and they sit on my counter until time for delivery.

IdolizedCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #15 of 24

That's what I thought but how long is safe to sit on my countertop. I usually do cakes the day before two at the most but I have never done one this large the cake won't be eatin til sat and I have to deliver thurs. can I decorate a couple cakes a day til thurs and be safe or will they go bad?

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 24

I start icing on Thursday .... they are delivered on Saturday.

IdolizedCakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #17 of 24

no they are delivered on thurs for a sat wedding.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #18 of 24

we always bake and freeze cakes before the wedding, just did 10 layers yesterday. all layers cooled completely and wrapped. We will set them out the night before (do not unwrap) and work on them in the morning . Very common to ice and decorate the cake 2 days before the wedding. We often thaw the cakes a little bit, then fill and let them settle while they are finishing thawing. This allows the icing in the middle to not bulge. we then crumb coat, and ice and decorate.

No one knows the cake was frozen...they are great.

hammer1 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:23pm
post #19 of 24

we always bake and freeze cakes before the wedding, just did 10 layers yesterday. all layers cooled completely and wrapped. We will set them out the night before (do not unwrap) and work on them in the morning . Very common to ice and decorate the cake 2 days before the wedding. We often thaw the cakes a little bit, then fill and let them settle while they are finishing thawing. This allows the icing in the middle to not bulge. we then crumb coat, and ice and decorate.

No one knows the cake was frozen...they are great.

Pinas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinas Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:50am
post #20 of 24

now this is very interesting!!

But do you fill the cake with buttercream before freezing them?
Is that possible? Or do you fill them afterwards.

hammer1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 24

we usually thaw a little and then fill with buttercream and let them thaw the rest of the way before crusting and icing. we only use buttercream. if you ice when they are not thawed all the way it just takes too long for the icing to crust.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 24

If you are using b'cream as filling yes, i t can be done before fzing. It will take the cake tiers a bit longer to thaw, but in the long run probably save you some time. In fact, you could fill, ice then fz. I have not had problems doing this.
If you have iced the cake, UNwrap to thaw.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #23 of 24

great answers guys. i was about to ask this same question. Only my thing is is that i have a cake delivered on saturday. can i start icing on thursady and friday and leave on the counter til delivery on saturday? it's all BC and red velvet cake.

Pinas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinas Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:51am
post #24 of 24

Bellasweet that should be no problem I have done that before You know in the Caribbean we usually like to spinkle our cakes with rum, whisky or a sweet liqour. Especially weddingcakes. For example a pineapple cake we sprinkle withe pina colada The cake tastes so yummy and it last longer than usual
Jee my English is not that bad isn't it ladies??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%