How Much To Charge For 3D Thomas The Tank Engine Cake?

Decorating By anku Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 9:29am by marknelliesmum

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 9

Please I have never attempted this cake and will be my first time. I have no clue how much will this cake feed and how much should I charge for it!

Any help on this is highly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
LL

8 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 9

Are you making the cake from a kit?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 9

It is a very cute cake, but it is a licensed character. It is not legal to sell these.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 9

JoAnn, I bought that kit from somewhere is it illegal even with one of those?
Anku, at my local Harris Teeter they have the same cake up on their display case and it's $48.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:12am
post #5 of 9

the kit should be marked -for personal use only. However, many decorators use them, just don't get caught.

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:44am
post #6 of 9

Does the kit include a cake pan or does it only have parts of Thomas engine???

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:09am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

the kit should be marked -for personal use only. However, many decorators use them, just don't get caught.

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought it was ok if we bought the kit. They sure don't make it easy for us do they?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:18am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku

Please I have never attempted this cake and will be my first time. I have no clue how much will this cake feed and how much should I charge for it!

Any help on this is highly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure about the dimensions of the cake in the picture so I cant tell you how much it feeds. I carved a Thomas cake last year and I charged $250 for it. It's the one in the avatar.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:29am
post #9 of 9

Hi I just made a TTE cake a few weeks ago for my son (my avatar) I made it from scratch and didn't have the face etc that are available in the kit, I just used Debbi Brown's book for guidance. I don't know how much time having the kit will save you but it took me the best part of 2 days to do mine from scratch - I finally gave up trying to get the face right icon_cry.gif I made 2x 10" square sponges (my carving sponge only ever rises to about 1.5") - i needed at least 40 servings. I'm not sure how much carving you will have to do with the kit but if there is quite a bit then make sure yo u have extra for mistakes.

Not sure that I've been any help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%