Ideas For Cakes To Go With Fillings Please

Decorating By Metabea Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm by Rincewind

Metabea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metabea Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 8

Let me start off by saying this isn't a big ole fancy wedding. It's for my best friend and we might have 30 people come to the reception. Nothing is fancy but the flowers and cake so far. It's a buffet type meal set up and made by us (as most of the country weddings we know have done, in our family at least) All this will take place in my front yard which is one of the quietest, peaceful places we know.

The only thing we've decided on was the fillings. She would love to have raspberry filling, the other filling will be Praline. Now what cakes would be good for these 2 fillings? She's leaving this up to me as long as she gets her raspberry filling.

If I used the recipe from one of the wilton books for their raspberry cream fillings they used 1 package frozen raspberries in syrup, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 T cornstarch. Now if I was to use the same amount of jam (she wants to use her homemade jam) as the package of frozen would that turn out ok?

Oh and I want to ice the cakes with SMBC does this crust? And which recipe do you thing is the best as I've seen a few.

Thanks
Meta

7 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 8

White Chocolate cake to go with the raspberry filling... Make WASC and use white chocolate pudding (prepared) in place of the Sour cream and mix in a box of white chocolate pudding (powder) at the end... results is a wonderfull white chocolate flavor!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 8

for the rasperry you can wither do vanilla or lemon. and for the praline you can do a butter rum cake?

i think if you use the same amount you should be ok with a little tinkering... for the filling

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

for the raspberry you can also use white almond cake, they compliment each other nicely, chocolate cake is also really nice for the praline filling. as the others have said, use instant pudding in the cakes and they come out nice and moist. good luck and congrats.

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metabea

Oh and I want to ice the cakes with SMBC does this crust? And which recipe do you thing is the best as I've seen a few.

SMBC does not crust. There are several good recipes here. I like the Very Vanilla and the Well Dressed Cake SMBCs.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

Oh the choices are endlessicon_smile.gif
For raspberry: WASC; the white choco mentioned above; chocolate; lemon each go great w/it.

For the praline: WASC; butter pecan w/ or w/o rum added; yellow or fr vanilla.

I think the jam would work fine; might cut down on the cornstarch unless the jam is very thin.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 8

Weird coincidence. I was just discussing this same issue with one of my family members--also for a small, rural/country, Midwestern wedding.

We concluded that the most favorite flavors of cake are white and chocolate, and we'll make the largest proportion of the cake those flavors, with spice cake for the remainder (Oct. wedding).

I'm going to make WASC, and fill with a raspberry cream that someone recently posted here (can't remember who, sorry!). I've recently tried three different kinds of raspberry fillings: 1) a real whipped cream combined with raspberry jam, 2) fresh/frozen raspberry puree, cooked down with cornstarch and sugar, and 3) a raspberry cream (8 oz. cream cheese, one jar marshmallow cream, and one can raspberry pie filling [I used some leftover raspberry puree.] In a local taste test, #3 was the winner.

I'll make a chocolate-version of WASC, and I'm not sure yet about the filling, although the praline one sounds like an excellent idea! I'm also considering a mocha filling and a mint chocolate chip one for the chocolate cake.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 8

I like white cake (my favorite recipe is King Arthur Flour Elegant White Cake) with raspberry. I've never had a praline filling, but I would probably go with a chocolate cake (my favorite recipe is Double Chocolate Layer Cake). My favorite SMBC is Toba Garrett's White Chocolate Buttercream (which is just white ganache added to to her Swiss Meringue recipe).

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%