Whats The Best Boxed Mix?

Decorating By krispy1976 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm by chefjulie

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 37

I normaly make from scratch but have a request for boxed mix. Whats the best? BC, DH, PLS?

Anything Helps, and for any of these do you add any extras for moistness?

36 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 37

The term "best" is subjective based on too many variables. One person will swear by DH and another will stomp the box and not allow it in their kitchen.

I have read on here that Pillsbury mixes do not yield as much batter as the other two.

krispy1976 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 37

OK, the better of the 3....lol

I would like to stomp on them boxes myself, but would like the challenge to do the order....I have found BC to be ok, but you read so much of DH being the fav's out there....

But thanks for the reply!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 37

You might get more responses if we know what flavor you're trying to make. I actually like Pillsbury's white cake, but not chocolate.

My problem is that the selection of flavors that I hear of here are never in my grocery store. I've never, ever, seen a red velvet

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 37

Eek, hit send too soon, I've never seen a red velvet or orange mix.

krispy1976 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 37

Choc. and White

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 37

I'm a big fan of DH...I like to use the Cake Doctor's recipe that uses sour cream...makes a super rich chocolate cake!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 37

I prefer BC. DH doesn't come out as good for me. I don't like Pilsbury although I love the doughboy!! Lol

I think DH has red velvet and orange mix.

onceuponacake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 37

I prefer BC. DH doesn't come out as good for me. I don't like Pilsbury although I love the doughboy!! Lol

I think DH has red velvet and orange mix.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 37

No fair onceuponacake you can't vote twice. What do you think this is the presidential election. icon_razz.gif

DH all the way. But, I do have to admit when doing a tiered cake it is too moist I have to add something or use another brand.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 37

My favorite is Pillsbury. DH doesn't do very well for me usually and I'm not sure I've ever used DH.

So, it looks like everyone has a different favorite.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 37

My #1 go-to is BC. I am starting to use DH more. It is correct that DH has red velvet and orange. I don't like DH red velvet that much, but I just made the orange and it was good!
As far as PLS, I made their dark chocolate cake one time, and that thing was dry the next day! Only some of their flavors are O.k.
I NEVER have problems with BC.

onceuponacake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 37

lol Janette!!

What do you add to it to make it more firm? (If you don't mind me asking?)

krispy1976 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 37

I am off to the Super Market to get some mixes, and am going to try a few!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 37

I've used DH Chocolate and added a box of pudding into it and omg was that thing good!!! i didn't find it to moist for my stack (2 tiers) and it got rave reviews. i was scared to try it because of all the neg reviews but the chocolate did well. That's the only dh i've used. i used to use BC supermoist until i started decorating adn found it was... super moist. lol but hadn't done any doctored recipes on it yet.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 37

Betty Crocker for me. I love the Golden Vanilla. Also today I made a Chocolate Fudge and used the extender recipe found here Extender Cake Recipe #2.

I'm making a raspberry filled chocolate cake and instead of using the 1 tsp of vanilla I used 1 tsp of raspberry extract. OMG it's devine. And I don't like raspberry.

I'm going to try and substitute vanilla pudding and orange flavor the next time so I can make a golden vanilla/orange cake.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #17 of 37

LOL this one always cracks me up. Because everyone truely does have their own fave. I like to spread the love around. I use exclusively Pilsbury white, BC yellow, and DH dark chocolate fudge makes me dance. I use DH red velvet and substitute 1/2 the water for buttermilk.....mmmmmm. Pilsbury definitely yields less batter, but I find it very moist and the cake has a nice consistency. But it's definitely just a personal preference thing. I think it's what you're use to.

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 37

I personally like BC. I have a friend who wanted me to use DH for her cake, I found it very crumby. I did not use an extender or the WASC for it, maybe it would have been better...
Overall I am a scratch girl though.

Kathleen

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #19 of 37

I caught an episode of America's Test Kitchen (on PBS) and they were testing cakes. They put out several different mixes and homemade, all were yellow. Here are their conclusions:

~~~~~

Yellow Cake Mixes
from the Episode: Lemon Layer Cake

Can any come close to homemade?

While we here at Cook's Country prefer the rich flavor of a homemade cake, we know that many cooks invite
Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker into their kitchens to help speed up the proceedings. But does it matter which cake
mix you buy at the supermarket? Can any compete with homemade? We bought eight boxed yellow and gold cake
mixes and headed into the test kitchen to find out. We served the plain, unfrosted cakes to 22 tasters, who rated
each cake for flavor, texture, and overall appeal.

Our tasters weren't fooled by these mixes. All eight cakes had an unnaturally uniform crumb and extremely light, fluffy
texture. Cake mixes are formulated to maximize the volume of air and moisture the batter can hold, which results in a
very moist, tender, and delicate cake. Ingredients such as shortening, emulsifiers (mono- and diglycerides as well as
lecithin), xanthan gum, and cellulose gum give cakes made from boxed mixes their distinctive texture.

Without these ingredients, a from-scratch cake doesn't rise as much and you end up with a tighter, more irregular
crumb, which is able to withstand a heavy coating of frosting. Fluffy boxed cakes almost collapse under the weight of
a rich frosting. Several of the cakes in our tasting were particularly fluffy (more like cotton candy than cake) and were
downgraded by tasters.

The flavor of a boxed cake mix, even one that calls for the addition of butter, won't fool an observant taster, either-
but some came surprisingly close. Tasters said that the cakes made from top-rated mixes tasted like butter and
vanilla. Other mixes had an obvious artificial smell and flavor, which landed them at the bottom of our ratings.

The four top-rated cakes (three Betty Crocker mixes and one Pillsbury) all fall under the umbrella of General Mills; the
two Duncan Hines mixes followed, with the two "independents," the Jiffy and King Arthur Flour mixes, bringing up the
rear. Our conclusion: Betty Crocker knows how to make an appealing cake mix, Duncan Hines less so, and forget
about the "alternative" brands you might find at the supermarket. The mixes are listed below, with tasters' comments,
in order of preference.

Recommended

1. Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Recipe Yellow Cake Mix $2.49
This cake, which calls for a stick of butter, was praised for its "rich butter flavor" and "moist and tender"
texture. Very "vanilla-y."

2. Betty Crocker Super Moist Golden Vanilla Cake Mix $1.69
Tasters appreciated the "very smooth," "nicely spongy" texture of this cake. Its flavor was deemed "mild but
very good."

3. Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow Cake Mix $1.39
This cake was "extremely tender and moist, with a very even crumb." So sweet "there's no need to add icing,"
quipped one taster.

4. Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix $1.69
With its "nice flavors of butter and vanilla," this cake was deemed the best-tasting. However, some tasters
complained about the "chalky," "mushy" texture.

5. Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix $1.79
Some tasters detected hints of "coconut and lemon," while others complained about a "chemical"
aftertaste. This cake was substantially darker than the others.

Recommended with Reservations

6. Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic Yellow Cake Mix $1.69
One taster likened this sample to a "spongy Twinkie," while other panelists were more generous and praised
its "nice and light" crumb.

Not Recommended

7. Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix $.89 (makes only one 9" cake)
"Tastes like the box it came from," said one taster. Overall, this cake mix was panned for its insipid,
stale flavor and "dry and terrible" texture.

8. King Arthur Flour Vanilla-Butter Cake Mix $4.95
This mix contains fewer additives than the rest, but tasters were not impressed by the cake's
"grainy,""crumbly" texture and strong "almond extract" aftertaste.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:18pm
post #20 of 37

I am a scratch girl myself because I am more likely to experiment with just about every aspect of a recipe, but what's cool is I have some recipes where the batter tastes like boxed, and I LOVE cake batter! My mom and gramma always made boxed, so I like the flavors of both. I just don't use boxed that often. Usually the scratch recipes with buttermilk come out tasting more like boxed batter, but the baked cake result is different altogether.
When I do use boxed, I like DH, but I have used them all with no issues. I like to add soda flavors to the boxed yellows as the liquid icon_wink.gif Kids love that!

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #21 of 37

I prefer the taste of Pillsbury's Golden Butter Recipe. Use 1 stick butter melted, 1 cup milk and 4 eggs...yummmm. Has a hint of coconut flavor in it. Also, I use Pillsbury's Devil's Food in which I use the same formula as above but also add 1 cup mayonnaise. Makes it super moist.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:15pm
post #22 of 37

Oh, I wish they had made some scratch cakes to compare those too.

Janette Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

lol Janette!!

What do you add to it to make it more firm? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Usually powdered creamer. I like the Hazelnut best.

Janette Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2uesday

I've used DH Chocolate and added a box of pudding into it and omg was that thing good!!! i didn't find it to moist for my stack (2 tiers) and it got rave reviews. i was scared to try it because of all the neg reviews but the chocolate did well. That's the only dh i've used. i used to use BC supermoist until i started decorating adn found it was... super moist. lol but hadn't done any doctored recipes on it yet.

If I don't have the powdered creamer on hand I will use pudding mix.

I know there is always a great debate over which mix but I have to say if something else other than DH is on sale I can certainly tell the difference. The taste and the way it bakes.

Janette Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

My #1 go-to is BC. I am starting to use DH more. It is correct that DH has red velvet and orange. I don't like DH red velvet that much, but I just made the orange and it was good!
As far as PLS, I made their dark chocolate cake one time, and that thing was dry the next day! Only some of their flavors are O.k.
I NEVER have problems with BC.

Most Southerns will tell you, you can't use regular frosting with Red Velvet cake. You use a creamer less sweet frosting. And it just wouldn't be Red Velvet cake without loading it with Coconut.

Janette Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

LOL this one always cracks me up. Because everyone truely does have their own fave. I like to spread the love around. I use exclusively Pilsbury white, BC yellow, and DH dark chocolate fudge makes me dance. I use DH red velvet and substitute 1/2 the water for buttermilk.....mmmmmm. Pilsbury definitely yields less batter, but I find it very moist and the cake has a nice consistency. But it's definitely just a personal preference thing. I think it's what you're use to.

I forgot you need the Buttermilk too.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #27 of 37

I use DH, BC & PB... whatever's on sale. Today I purchased 10 for $10 on DH, but Pillsbury will normally go on sale for about $0.70/box about once per year. I think those are GREAT prices & keep them in stock for last minute orders or odd flavors, as I try to mix all my scratch recipes once. (Yes, I am a "both" girl!)

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:14am
post #28 of 37

When you say "powdered creamer" or "powdered pudding mix," How much? icon_confused.gif
Someone recently told me about mixing the DH cake mix into pudding that's already made. She swore it would be the most moist cake I'd ever eaten. Well, I don't know if I did something wrong, or not, but the cake came out rubbery, and I did not like the taste at all! icon_razz.gif

Janette Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

When you say "powdered creamer" or "powdered pudding mix," How much? icon_confused.gif
Someone recently told me about mixing the DH cake mix into pudding that's already made. She swore it would be the most moist cake I'd ever eaten. Well, I don't know if I did something wrong, or not, but the cake came out rubbery, and I did not like the taste at all! icon_razz.gif

I'm not a big fan of the pudding myself. The creamer I add 1/4 - 1/2 cups. Even replacing the liquid creamer in place of water is good. There are so many flavors out there.

I had been doing this for some time and my Daughter woudn't leave me alone wanting to know my secret because she said no one bakes cakes like me. I wouldn't tell her for the longest until she said if I died I would take it with me.

I made her swear not to tell a sole, not even her DH.

But, we're all friends here, I know you'll keep my secret icon_wink.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I had been doing this for some time and my Daughter woudn't leave me alone wanting to know my secret because she said no one bakes cakes like me. I wouldn't tell her for the longest until she said if I died I would take it with me.

I made her swear not to tell a sole, not even her DH.

But, we're all friends here, I know you'll keep my secret icon_wink.gif

I think that when you've grown up use to the mixes, that's what you like. Now maybe not always, but a lot of the time that explains it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%