Do You Sit Or Stand To Decorate?

Business By littlecake Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm by -K8memphis

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 42

SCC says she sits to decorate,i stand up...wondering if i can get organised enough to sit.....seems like i always need something,

i think i'm gonna have to slow down long enough to order the chair she said she uses....

a couple weeks ago, i thought i'd be smart and get some crocs...i usually wear new balance...well the crocs were soft and squishy alright....but after a couple
of 12 hour days on my feet all day in them...my knees have not been the same in weeks....they hurt all the time, i guess not enough support or something.

i found some z coil shoes on ebay...i won them, i hope they help...this is miserable icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

41 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 42

Oh, I decided I was going to marry Dr. Scholl's after I bought a pair of this tennis shoes - they are so comfortable!!!!!

but as for your original question, I do a little bit of both. I stand for the most part, but sit when I have to any piping.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 42

I mostly stand. When I am doing a piece in royal icing i have started sitting because i was bending over the thing so much I was like "this is dumb why not sit and be more comfortable!" But I think to actually ice the cake I like standing better.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 42

I am usually standing while I decorate. Sometimes I roll my office chair to the counter to do sidework and borders on my cakes. I sometimes wear my slip on shoes, or even my house shoes.(sometimes no shoes, just slipper socks) icon_redface.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 42

I do both. I try not to either sit or stand for more than 20 minutes at a time. I'm really careful about stopping throughout the day and stretching. My massage therapist taught me some stretches that we use several times a day.

A couple of times a day I take off for a short walk around the block, too, if I have my assistent there. I make her go, too.

I have an ergonomic 'pony chair' that I absolutely LOVE. I can totally recommend them.

Good shoes are a must.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 42

I find that I mostly stand. I sit sometimes, but it's easier to move around when I'm standing. I always forget to take Excedrin before I decorate though, so after long hours my back hurts. This happens whether I am baking or cooking for long hours. I do try to wear my slippers with comfort soles or tennis. Dr. Scholl's tennis sounds good!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 42

I mostly stand. Being height impaired -- I just can't ice or decorate any other way. The only time I sit is if I am piping on the side of a cake, making dots, etc.

I bought a kitchen chair (like my grandmother used to have) from ACE Hardware to sit in. It has a back, but no arms, so I can move and stretch to reach things really easy. Plus the steps are on the stool too in case I need to climb to reach the upper part of the cabinets.

I started wearing crocs sandles too. I love them -- but I'm only on my feet for usually 4 - 6 hours a night (+ more on weekends) (Secretary by day!). But I did splurge and bought a black cushioned mat like the hairdressers stand on and it helps ALOT!! I love it - plus it is so easy to clean up and I don't have to wash a rug every few days to get the icing out of it.

I am checking out the Zcoil shoes -- I might have to invest in a pair of those too!

Suze

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 42

depends on what I'm doing .... my office chair is low enough that my eyes are just barely above the countertop ... making it perfect for doing scrolls or lace on the sides of cakes, or on the small 6" cakes (instead of putting my turntable on top of a can of crisco to make it taller for me!)

Majority of the time, I'm standing.

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 42

I stand and sit. I sit to do most of the decorating and I put on my air nikes when standing for long periods. Sometimes I look really goofy with those shoes on with what I'm wearing; but that's what's good about working from home. I couldn't dare show up on somebody's job like that.

Cynita

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 42

I am a standing girl, as alot of my cakes now are covered in fondant, the few I get to do lol!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 42

Oh, I know that local hardware stores sell fatigue mats like the ones retailers have for their staff to stand on all day.

chutzpah Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 42

pony chair!!!

Before I got my chair I was just about crippled at the end of the day.

Actually, we were at the office supply store to order a chair and desk and stuff for DH, and I thought I would try out that funny-looking chair over there. As soon as I sat on it my back relaxed and the tension and pain were gone. It has no armrests so I can twist and turn, it's on wheels so I can scoot around, and I can raise and lower it.

I still have pain after a long week, but with the combined efforts of my massage therapist and good shoes and my beloved pony chair, I am no longer a crip.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 42

You'll love the Z-coil shoes! I bought them when I was spending 8 hours a day on concrete and they m ade a world of difference. It might take a few days to get used to them so don't give up if you don't get instant relief.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 42

I do both so that i'm never in the same position too long.

The z-coils my partner has and swears by them!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #15 of 42

I typically stand...only sit for painting on cookies. My knees hate me for it!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 42

I mostly stand but I do sit to do some of my piping and things. I have never even heard of a Z-coil shoe...gonna look right now though. My bday is tomorrow, maybe I can get a pair!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #17 of 42

I do both. More standing I suppose. But, making gumpaste flowers and tedious little decorations, I sit.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #18 of 42

I do both...I stand for some things like puttng fondant on a cake, but I have to sit to do icing, so I can see if my icing is level (too much bending otherwise) I also sit to do gumpaste, etc.

I have an anti fatique mat that I stand on, and I am always barefoot. I hate shoes. Period. hahaha!

chutzpah Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 42

I've never heard of z-coils either. I just looked them up and it appears that they have no overseas distributor... just the US and Canada.

kurn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurn Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 42

I just lok oline at those zcoil shoes and wow they are different looking. I don't know if I ready to make that fashion statement yet. I'm also guessing because they are so different that they are also probably pricey?

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #21 of 42

I stand a great majority of the time. Of course having no kids, I usually have the music blaring and I'm usually dancing around the kitchen. I do like to sit for a little while, but I get SO uncordinated. I usually wear my Tevas, crocs or tennis shoes because my feet/ankles/knees hurt after standing. I'm 5'9" in my bare feet, so I usually try to put my turntable on something so I don't kill my back.

cakes_by_jess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_by_jess Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #22 of 42

What is a pony chair? I just did a search but didn't see nothing different from a regular chair.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurn

I just lok oline at those zcoil shoes and wow they are different looking. I don't know if I ready to make that fashion statement yet. I'm also guessing because they are so different that they are also probably pricey?

i got em on ebay for 90 bucks...i hope that was a bargain !

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #24 of 42

I stand. I have a thick foam mat that I stand on when decorating which help relieves the stress for the back and knees some. I need to wear better shoes when decorating though.

chutzpah Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:31am
post #25 of 42

www.ponychair.com

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:44am
post #26 of 42

I do both... I think it depends a lot on what I'm doing and how much I need to keep my mind off the physical and focus on the cake. If I had my way though, I'd have a tall office chair for the job to be able to sit more than stand...

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:55am
post #27 of 42

I stand more than sit, but if I know I'm gonna be doing a lot of repetitive decorating like on cookies or cupcakes I sit. I only wear my houseslippers too!! icon_redface.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #28 of 42

I mostly stand....I use to go barefoot & I my feet would hurt so bad...then I broke my pinky toe and laid it completley over and out so I had to have surgery. After coming out of the surgical shoe I started wearing crocs and that's pretty much the only shoes I wear now...

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #29 of 42

Both. Depends what I am doing. I wish I could figure when I do and when I do the best work.

Thanks for asking. Good Luck.

shigo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shigo Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:19am
post #30 of 42

It really depends on what I'm doing. When I crumb/frost the cake and it's layers I stand. But when I do details, I sit if it's not awkward.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%