Desperately Needing Pricing Suggestion(S)

Decorating By Dru329 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 11:41am by aligotmatt

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone...I'm needing some pricing suggestions. I've been asked to make 150 baby elmo lollipops made out of fondant standing approx. 5 inches tall. They also want a cake topper of a baby elmo also made out of fondant standing approx. 8 inches tall. I've NEVER had such a big order as this one and am getting pretty nervous about it.
Now in my head this seems like it's going to be pretty pricey since everything will be handmade using fondant. Am I correct on this...don't really know? How much should I charge for each lollipop and the cake topper?
I really hope someone can give an insight as to what to charge for this. Thank you all who can help me icon_smile.gif
Drucila

*I will definitely be posting some pics if this order goes through icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 7

I have no idea what it would cost, but it would not be legal to sell a copyrighted item such as Elmo.

Dru329 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #3 of 7

Well that's something I didn't know. I thought that only applied to graphics and such being printed and used on commercial products but not cakes. I'm confused

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #4 of 7

No need to be confused. If you're selling a cake - your cake is a commercial product.

All of those types of characters are trademarked out the wazoo, and you cannot legally reproduce them and sell for profit without getting copyright permission.

It really doesn't matter what the medium is that you are using to copy the trademarked item - putting it on a tshirt and selling it is just as illegal as making it out of fondant and selling it.

Dru329 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7

My goodness...so everyone that uses the cake pans, chocolate molds of Disney characters, Sesame Street, etc. and selling them are doing so illegally? Guess so huh...well I guess my potential customers sure aren't gonna like hearing this. Oh well...saves me a lot of work and possible legal trouble icon_biggrin.gif. Thanks ladies for your eye opening information.

Dru329 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:54am
post #6 of 7

Well I just finished talking to the lady and she actually took it well. I thought she was going to get mad or something. Thank God that went well. I was nervous about telling them. What a relief!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru329

My goodness...so everyone that uses the cake pans, chocolate molds of Disney characters, Sesame Street, etc. and selling them are doing so illegally? Guess so huh...well I guess my potential customers sure aren't gonna like hearing this. Oh well...saves me a lot of work and possible legal trouble icon_biggrin.gif. Thanks ladies for your eye opening information.

the cake pans say something on them about being used for home use only and never to sell. They sell licensed character packs, it's a few toys or whatever that come for that character, you can purchase it and it gives the rights for that one cake to put those characters on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%