Attaching Sticks To Cookies?

Baking By Kaybaby Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 7:08am by Cake_Princess

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 12

I normally attach my sticks to the cookies prior to baking, the problem I have is the "hump" that the stick leaves on the cookie. Is there a way to attach the cookie prior to baking without the hump? I've tried attaching the stick after the cookie was baked using candy melts, but had several fall off when they were bitten into. My cookies are not overly thick or heavy.

Any ideas?

Vonda

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 12

There are some lollipop sticks that are a bit thinner than the cookie sticks. If you cut and roll the cookie a tiny bit thicker than the stick, you can push the stick into the side of the cut cookie, eliminating the bump.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:52am
post #3 of 12

I actually attach the stick to the bag. also makes them much easier to decorate.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:08am
post #4 of 12

I buy those bambo skewer cut it in half and stick inside of the cookie as soon is out of the oven. HTH

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:15am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybaby

I normally attach my sticks to the cookies prior to baking, the problem I have is the "hump" that the stick leaves on the cookie. Is there a way to attach the cookie prior to baking without the hump? I've tried attaching the stick after the cookie was baked using candy melts, but had several fall off when they were bitten into. My cookies are not overly thick or heavy.

Any ideas?

Vonda

What type of batter are you using? Maybe that might be the problem.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:30am
post #6 of 12

I also use bamboo skewers, they're thinner than cookie sticks, they barely show.
good luck.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 12

just my experience with bambo sticks, I have found they tend to splinter and I didn't want to take a chance on any inside the cookie, maybe I've just used the wrong kind. They actually are pretty easy to work with inserting into bouquet because they're thin.

bakingagain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingagain Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 12

I make my cookies about 3/8 of an inch thick. I put the sticks in prior to baking, put a patch over the parts that stick out. I like to patch them on the front since that is usually covered by icing. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, I smooth them with a spatula. I have been decorating them with a glaze, then with some fondant decorations. Have not seen any bumps when
decorating.

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry, I forgot to say that I insert the bamboo sticks before baking. After the cookies are baked and cooled, the icing covers any small imperfection.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #10 of 12

I glue my sticks on with RI. They stick very, very well

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you everyone for your replies. I use the NFSC and roll my dough approx. 3/8 of an inch. The hump isn't bad, but I prefer a very smooth cookie. I will try the RI after they are baked and decorated method.

Vonda

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:08am
post #12 of 12

I have never tried NFSC recipe. However, I do freeze my cookie dough before I putting it in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%