Ace Of Cakes Really Isn't That Great...

Decorating By Shakti Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 6:46am by Curtsmin24

Shakti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shakti Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 234

Alright, they're on television. They have a show. Tons of decorators and non-decorators alike tune in every week. They've upped the damand for 'cake art' as opposed to plain ol' bakery cakes.

But I'm sick of people using Duff as the measuring stick for 'good' cakes! Yes, they do a bunch of awesome cakes, but so do TONS of other bakeries and cake shops, and they have been for YEARS!

Take a look at this lady, for example: www.debbiedoescakes.net

Then, go take a look at www.charmcitycakes.com.

Pay special attention to the dog cakes and camera cakes on both websites.

Debbie blows him out of the water! Why doesn't SHE get a tv show? I'd much rather watch that!

I don't know...I'm just tired of making 3D cakes and if people like them, they say 'Wow, just like Ace of Cakes!'

That show was awesome to get caking in the spotlight and I know I enjoy watching it myself for the inspiration and whatnot but...*sigh*...he's not the only guy out there. And he's definitely not the best.

Can I get an 'AMEN'??

233 replies
disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 234

Nope, sorry not from me. I enjoy his show and yes there are other talented people out there, but each is talented in their own right....I would love to be compared to Duff someday, he's cool, his staff is great, I love watching what they can do. Yes those other artists are great too, and we need more cake shows...
We just need Cake TV. Cake all day, all nighticon_smile.gif And then we could see how different each would beicon_smile.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 234

"AMEN" ! I LOVE the SHOW, but if it weren't for Duff's staff, he wouldn't have a show !

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 234

Well, one thing that has been stated on here regarding having a business is that marketing/business is more important than having the talent.

In Duff's case, he's got a great, infectiousl personality that translates very well to a television audience. He knows very well how to market himself. Yet, he has the talent to back it up.

Is he the greatest cake decorator in the world? No and he knows/admits it. Did you ever see the challenge in which he had to compete against Collette Peters - he drooled like a baby!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 234

Sorry you won't get one from me either. I mean I'll give you one on yes i agree Duff isn't the best cake designer out there--don't know that he's ever claimed to be or that anyone else have ever bestowed that title one him--but I love the show. It's not just about cake--it's hardly about cake if you ask me. They are such a great group. I love the vibe in the shop. The reason they have a show and not other cake designers? PERSONALITY. Sure there are many more talented people out there, but I doubt most of them have the screen presence that Duff & Co., have. And frankly watching some boring person with zero spunk put swiss dots and string work on a cake for 30 minutes a week is not what I would call entertainment.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 234

I will give an AMEN. I wish I could sculpt and mold like they do....however, my bigger thing is that half the "cakes" they do are not cake.

It is however like any other TV show....as I watch Rachel Ray....there are millions who can do the same, some far better, but it takes personality, marketability and want.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Well, one thing that has been stated on here regarding having a business is that marketing/business is more important than having the talent.

In Duff's case, he's got a great, infectiousl personality that translates very well to a television audience. He knows very well how to market himself. Yet, he has the talent to back it up.

Is he the greatest cake decorator in the world? No and he knows/admits it. Did you ever see the challenge in which he had to compete against Collette Peters - he drooled like a baby!

Or the one where he competed with Bronwen Webber? He was shaking like a leaf!

I like Duff, for his personality. I also know from watching the show that if it weren't for Geoff and the other highly-talented people on his staff, his shop (and show) wouldn't be nearly as popular.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 234

I say more power to him...He did it the right way, went to culinary school, worked in the right places and then opened up shop to do things his way. He made a huge success of himself and he helped to put the spotlight on cake art which has helped all of us. The people who compare cakes to those done by Duff are making a huge compliment in that they think he is the best...whether he is or not doesn't really matter.

I say way to go to Duff icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 234

Ditto to what ccr03 wrote! I enjoy watching Duff and Geoff and the staff; I think they do great work, but I've seen better. Also, I've heard from a few, that their cakes are not that tasty. As much as I watch the show and enjoy it, I think there's room on television for other cake shows and wish 'the powers that be' would supply this demand.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 234

I would love for the Ace of Cakes to post on the TV show how much his cakes cost!

I'm so tired of customers wanting a 3-d cake with like freaking fireworks that shoot out of the top and will hop around and sing happy birthday AND help raise their children all for the low low price of $19.99!!

What is his minimum order these days? $500?

I wish people would understand!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 234

I totally agree with ccr03. It is a television program geared to the general public. Duff may or may not be the best decorator but people find him FUN to watch and at least he doesn't do any harm. Dr. Phil is on television every day and he breaks almost every single ethical rule for psychologists! I think he has done some people harm-Duff only makes cake!
Artists are artists-Who can really tell which one is best? It's all a matter of opinion. IMHO I do think that I like some other cake artist's work better too.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 234

I do enjoy the Ace of Cakes series, but a lot of the enjoyment stems from the diversity of Duff's staff. I really like Geoff because of his dead pan humor.

But I wanted more and thanks to TiVo I have found it. If you have a TiVo or DVR (I'm not exaclty familiar with DVRs other than TiVo) do yourself a favor and create some keyword wishlists. I created one for each of these words: "bake", "cake", "sugar", "cookie", and "cupcake". Every so often I go to my Wishlist page and tell it to look for upcoming wishlist programs. Then I tell it which ones to record. I've caught some great programs that feature some really talented people. I have enjoyed the Food Network Challenge programs, the Martha Stewart "Art of Wedding Cakes" program, Sugar Rush, and other variety shows that featured some sort of decorative baking in one of their segments. I can't bring myself to delete them. I'm hoping to find a way to transfer them to DVD, which will require a little, a-hem, technical creativity.

I'll agree that Ace of Cakes has brought cake decorating and sugar art into the spotlight. Duff and his staff have great personalities and are very creative. They do a lot of cool things. But IMO they definitely don't set the standard in the cake decorating talent pool.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 234

hahahah that was a hoot, cakenator!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 234

I agree with everyone! I love Duff, but who I really love is Geoff! He isn't as strong as a personality, but I love watching him work. I have learned SO much from him, as he explains things. I love all of his staff...my background is also art (I have a "useless" degree in design) and I really can relate to how his staff has to learn cake stuff so they could express their art! (Geoff actually started out in archtecture and you sure can tell!) I think Duff has helped put cakes on the map..kids LOVE him and I get much more exciting birthday cakes orders because of it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 234

hey, I love the fact that his cake aren't PERFECT!!! When I do 3-D cakes I've often had people say to me when I say, "yeah well, I could've done that neater or this should've looked better" they say "I watch Ace of Cakes all the time and even HIS cakes aren't perfect!!"

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 234

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Duff!!!!! Enjoying his show was what got me interested in cake decorating. I love to watch the staff work and Dyff laugh. I also love to watch the reactions of the customers when the cakes are delivered. There is always someone out there that is more talented, but IMO it was Duff's personality that caught someone attention. Luckily he has the talent to go along with the personality. BTW, my favorite person on the show is Geof. It cracks me up to see him, he's so dry, but I love it. Debbie's cakes are incredible!!! She is a true artist!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 234

I think hes personality is awesome and his laugh is it really just makes me laugh... I love his show. I think his cakes could be better finished, but overall he does well. I do like him lots..He has fun with it and thats all that matters

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #18 of 234

So its been a while since there was some DUff bashing here on CC......dont know why there is at all. HE is the one they picked for the show and HE is the one who is going on his what? 4th or 5th season????? Of course there are many great cake decorators out there but do they have the personality that he does???? He has kept viewers watching and keeps it going season after season. His cakes are amazing and his staff is great. They work together and make great cakes...its fun to watch and learn little things. I even watch all the repeats. Duff doesnt claim to be the best and so what if some of the stuff he makes is "technically" a cake. Im sure he makes what people order. If its meant for them just to look at and keep for a while then of course it cant be cake.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 234

cake tv!!! love that.
now that would be cool!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #20 of 234

I wouldn't "bash" Duff, but I think the point here is that he's not 'the best' cake decorator. With him it's a package. He has such a winning personality, a great laugh, an interesting career and he's so down to earth. I wouldn't want to ever see the show get pulled, but I would like to see additional shows dealing exclusively with cake decorating.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #21 of 234

I have to DVR his show and watch it the next morning. I love watching that his cakes are not perfect, but I'd still love to have one or to be able to meet him. But then I love most of the people on the Food Network.

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #22 of 234

Totally agreeing that Duff certainly isn't the most outstanding or exceptional cake artist, but people get TV shows because they have a persona that's entertaining and keeps viewers' attention. And I REALLY agree that he's brought so much attention to the world of cake decorating, it's helped out everyone in the field. My sister watches the show regularly and she says his minimum order is $1,000.....I'll get there yet! icon_lol.gif hahaha

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #23 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenator

I would love for the Ace of Cakes to post on the TV show how much his cakes cost!

I'm so tired of customers wanting a 3-d cake with like freaking fireworks that shoot out of the top and will hop around and sing happy birthday AND help raise their children all for the low low price of $19.99!!

What is his minimum order these days? $500?

I wish people would understand!

I'm on the "fan" side. Duff has made it fun for all cake decorators. Plus his staff are talented and great to watch.

But, check out the Charm City web site. Under FAQ's, they start at $1000 now.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #24 of 234

No Amen here. I personally love the show and Duff and the gang. I think with the amount of cakes they put out and the time they have, their cakes are amazing. Perfect, no way....but for what the show is, it's great. People refer to being like "Ace of Cakes" because the general public doesn't know who Sylvia Weinstock, Colette Peters and Nicholas Lodge are.....I know that a lot of his isn't cake,,,,but its the whole image. I would take it as a compliment if someone called my cake an "Ace of Cakes" type.

Did you see the Harry Potter cake?? AMAZING! The castle itself wasn't cake, but the grounds were - but then again, who could have made that castle in cake? I think he realistically does what's possible with cake and then makes up for the rest with creativity to get the whole idea of the cake across.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:00pm
post #25 of 234

think Sandford and Son -- junkyard
30 Rock -- TV
the Mary Tyler Moore Show - TV
General Hospital/ER/Gray's Anatomy, et. al - medicine.

deluding selves if thinking show is REALLY about the cakes.

it's entertainment that happens to use the setting of a bakery as its venue for telling the wild and crazy tales of Duff and Crew.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #26 of 234

I can finally add my "amen" - to Doug. icon_wink.gif

Love Duff, love love love Mary Alice, even though she didn't send me my stickers yet, and love the show and Ben, and Geof, and all the gang. I miss Sherry - that girl can sculpt the heck out of anything!

jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #27 of 234

now, now....lets all get along icon_smile.gif the only rise here should be the cake! - ha...get it??? cake on the rise,,,,, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I crack myself up!

Now back on Duff....I think it's cool that he is truly friends with everyone there and they get along so great. Very creative people!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #28 of 234

I had a customer a few months back who ordered a cake for her daughters 2nd birthday. She told me the previous year, when she turned one, her mother in law bought her a cake "from that famous guy in Baltimore that is on TV" . I went like OMG, that is amazing!! She thought I was nuts! hahaha! I was so nervous when I made her cake...thinking she was going to compare it to Duff's cake. She told me she loved it more, because it was buttercream (they didnt care for the fondant) and was prettier. I couldn't help think also they probably didn't mind it cost a lot less too! hahaha!

Have you noticed how HUGE his staff has gotten? And whatever happened to that guy who was on the first couple of seasons (the bald guy) He was funny too! I can't image anyone leaving!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #29 of 234

Actually no. He may not be the most talented decorator in all the world, but he's never claimed to be. I agree, there are some people that I would say are more talented, but I certainly wouldn't want to see them on TV. I tried watching that one called Sugar-something (Sugar Rush, maybe?) on Food Network and couldn't stand the guy. Duff is a super-cool guy, can pull off a show and he is good at what he does. Why shouldn't he have a show? Who knows if Debbiedoescakes is a snore (although her cakes are fabulous)?

jessieb578 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #30 of 234

How lucky are those interns too....that's really a great opportunity!

So, seriously, his minimum order is $1000. How can that really be?? What about a small cake that feeds 20 people?? That's a bit crazy...but I still love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%