Honey, Don't Worry About Your Birthday Cake...

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm by Bettycrockermommy

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 25

says my husband.

Now, I'm just going to say it...I'm a control freak. There, it's out, no need to bring it up again. icon_wink.gif

That being said, my birthday is next month and I asked my husband if he wanted ME to make my cake and decorate it, and he says, "Honey, don't worry about YOUR birthday cake."

I have NO worries that he can bake a great tasting cake. None at all. It's the decorating aspect I'm nervous about. I know I will LOVE LOVE LOVE what he does, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to worry about it. I just know he doesn't have the patience or the creative edge (his words) that I do, and he won't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoy decorating.

But, I'll love whatever he does. Unless he gets a Target cake (he's anti-walmart). Then I'll smack him. icon_wink.gif

There, I got it out. Don't we all feel better now? icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 25

Now that is a classic post!! Ya know what I wanted for my b-day?? Ice cream cake!! icon_lol.gif

I was sick and tired of traditional cake and I love the ice cream cake with the fudge and oreos in the middle....so yummy!!

emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieb578

Now that is a classic post!! Ya know what I wanted for my b-day?? Ice cream cake!! icon_lol.gif

I was sick and tired of traditional cake and I love the ice cream cake with the fudge and oreos in the middle....so yummy!!

icon_redface.gif That's what I told my coworkers to get for me. lol I provide the cakes for my coworkers for their birthdays, so they asked what I wanted...so I said, "Ice cream cake!"

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 25

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif My DH got me an ice cream cake, and it did not fit in the freezer! AND he had a surprize party for me!!!! and by the time the party started the cake completely melted and was in a bowl, and he was so stressed and the food was cold icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif poor thing

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 25

LOL sounds like me. Every year I say "honey you can make my cake, I don't want to". Then a few weeks before my birthday it's "hoooneeey, I changed my mind, I want to make my cake". I know he'll make a yummy cake, but I only make my cakes for family functions and can't pass up the oportunity (sp?) to impress. LOL icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif I just love all the oohhs and ahhhs that i get. icon_rolleyes.gif

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 25

i, too, am sick of cake....
i, too, am a control freak....

which means: no way you are spending a ton of money to have someone else make me a cake...

and even i can't tolerate making my 'own' cake....
so here's how WE do it....
i make the list, they shop....they (dh and kids) become Sous Bakers (like sous chefs only bakers?)....they measure, portion, and ANYthing else i tell them....while i sit at the bar and give orders.....to include: kiss the birthday girl! hug the mom! etc.

they clean and everything...

they DO decorate, but it's pretty much just slathering it on.....not pretty, but i'm okay with that....

sally

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 25

i think you are lucky to have a husband who even gives a poop to either buy or make you a cake....why would you want to make your own cake anyway??? i never make my own cake....my kids or mom do that!!! i think its something special that the family can do for you...if you are a control freak then you need to take a step back...and look at it from your loved ones point of view...its there chance to shine...for them to get the opportunity to make/buy you something nice since you are always doing for others!!!! they are always proud of you and now you get a chance to be proud of them!!!! don't worry about control when someone is trying to do something nice for you!!!! it will only back fire on you in the end!!!! go drink a margarita and enjoy!!!!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 25

I bake my own cake and make the icing icon_smile.gif . Then I color the icing whatever colors I feel like and fill a few piping bags. I ice the cake smooth and then give it all to my kids icon_eek.gif . They love that they get to "make" mom's birthday cake thumbs_up.gif and their decorating brings tears to my eyes. They are so sweet. I get a yummy cake (hubby doesn't bake thumbsdown.gif , but he's a great cook thumbs_up.gif ) and they get the joy of decorating it for me. It's a win - win situation icon_biggrin.gif . Although if there was a place I could buy an ice cream cake I'd be all over that icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif !!!

emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky27

i think you are lucky to have a husband who even gives a poop to either buy or make you a cake....why would you want to make your own cake anyway??? i never make my own cake....my kids or mom do that!!! i think its something special that the family can do for you...if you are a control freak then you need to take a step back...and look at it from your loved ones point of view...its there chance to shine...for them to get the opportunity to make/buy you something nice since you are always doing for others!!!! they are always proud of you and now you get a chance to be proud of them!!!! don't worry about control when someone is trying to do something nice for you!!!! it will only back fire on you in the end!!!! go drink a margarita and enjoy!!!!

Please don't misunderstand...I am very grateful to not have to make my own cake, and I do appreciate that my husband is willing to do it. I have no plans to interfere, but was just sharing with everyone my thought process. icon_smile.gif

As for family helping...if it weren't for the fur, our cats COULD help...we don't have any real kids yet. icon_smile.gif So, DH would be going solo for this performance. icon_biggrin.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 25

I told my husband that I am making my own birthday cake this year!!! I appreciate the cakes he's gotten in the past, but he did not listen to the hints I was dropping. AND for 2 years straight he got me the same cake, with just a slightly different design. He would tell me "you can't make your own cake for your birthday"....Yes I can!
So this year...I want to make a 3-tier cake and I want to have a dessert party...cuz who else is going to eat all that damn cake?! icon_lol.gif
I have told this to him, and this time he is cool with it. Now he's saying "anything that will save money" (cuz times are just hard now).
So looks like I'll be making my own cake...now if only I can stay on schedule and actually get it done! icon_razz.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 25

Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cakes! They have them ready made in the freezer. No stress whatsoever and very delicious!

Kinda pricey, but we're worth it! icon_cool.gif

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 25

My dh wouldn't even think of making me a cake or buying me some other cake. Not even on his radar. He knows that I love baking too much. I only bake for friends and family, so any birthday (even mine) is an opportunity to bake something.

Though, for my birthday, I don't make decorated cakes so much. I usually make a new dessert recipe I've been wanting to try. This year it was Java Jolt Ice Cream Pie. That was a coffee flavored ice cream pie with kaluha fudge sauce.

I hope he makes you something very yummy and special.

Gen

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

Like H@LL yeah!!!

This is your time to go out shopping or go to the hair salon or to get
your nails done and have everyone one else do the house work, baking, cooking etc!

"Yeah honey you CAN do the cake see ya in about 3 hours!".... the kids need a bath too... and the pets... later icon_lol.gif

Happy B-day on a month!!! thumbs_up.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 25

MAN!!!!! My birthday is in couple of weeks and if someone even mentions a CAKE, I think I am going to SCREAM!! No cake for me, PLEASE!! I look at and handle cakes darned near every single day...Take me out, cook me a nice dinner, heck, make me a PBJ sandwhich just PLEASE, PLEASE don't make me have to be NEAR a cake on my birthday! It just might make me cry....lol!! icon_cry.gif

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cakes! They have them ready made in the freezer. No stress whatsoever and very delicious!

Kinda pricey, but we're worth it! icon_cool.gif

They are the best! My family has been on a kick for them recently since I got one for Father's Day. My mother's birthday is Thursday and I was planning on making her a cake but my Dad told me to order her a cake from Cold Stone. Their Midnight Madness is to die for so I don't mind!

emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

MAN!!!!! My birthday is in couple of weeks and if someone even mentions a CAKE, I think I am going to SCREAM!! No cake for me, PLEASE!! I look at and handle cakes darned near every single day...Take me out, cook me a nice dinner, heck, make me a PBJ sandwhich just PLEASE, PLEASE don't make me have to be NEAR a cake on my birthday! It just might make me cry....lol!! icon_cry.gif

I think I'd be sick of it too! Right now, I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't come into contact with cake nearly as often as you do, but I can definitely see your point! lol

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #17 of 25

emrldsky- don't get me wrong either...i am not being mean or accusing you of not being appreciative...but even control freaks need to rest now and again!!!! so now is your chance!!!!! and like "terrier" said....."see you in 3 hours"!!!!!!! Go and enjoy!!! and let your husbank rock on!!!!!! happy birthday girl!!!!!!!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 25

I say, if you can get away with making your own and you want to, go for it. At my last job they asked what kind of cake to buy me (these are hard core Wal-Mart cake consumers) and I said that I wanted to make my own. I had done everyone else's. Not only were they mad but they told me no! Not pretend mad, actually pissed off.

As for the husband getting the cake right, no such luck. I told him what I wanted and where to get it, and I got nothing.

Darci

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 25

Call me an idiot, but I love those big cookie "cakes" that you get at the grocery stores!!!! I got 2 of them for my birthday this year....one at work, and one at home! IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #20 of 25

If I don't make me a birthday cake, I don't get a birthday cake. Unless I go buy me one at Publix. Which I will do.

I like the orders, though, especially, kiss the birthday girl and hug the mom!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:05am
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif My DH got me an ice cream cake, and it did not fit in the freezer! AND he had a surprize party for me!!!! and by the time the party started the cake completely melted and was in a bowl, and he was so stressed and the food was cold icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif poor thing

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That is so funny! Poor baby--but he really tried.

But shoot, he's made me goodies before but last time we just went & got a great dessert at The Peabody downtown Memphis. No ingredients to buy and schlep home, no dishes to wash--killer! We had this warm wonderful chocolate bread pudding--tons of melty Belgian chocolate and bourbon sauce and every highly caloric morsel worth every utterly decadent bite. I think the kitchen orders it from heaven. mmm

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

I cannot agree more!!!

I'm reading all of these posts thinking, "I can't believe these folks actually WANT a cake, after dealing with it all the time!" icon_eek.gif

Gift wrap me some Cracker Barrel Chicken 'n Dumplin's! At least then I won't have to suffer thru everyone singing "happy birthday" at an excruciatingly SLOW speed!!! (good lord, people, if you're gonna sing that song, could ya sing it like it's a HAPPY occasion with some upbeat to it, instead of like you're all in mourning and singing over a dead body or something? Geesh, I can take a shower and blow dry my hair by the time some people get done with that itty bitty song!)

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm reading all of these posts thinking, "I can't believe these folks actually WANT a cake, after dealing with it all the time!" icon_eek.gif

Gift wrap me some Cracker Barrel Chicken 'n Dumplin's! At least then I won't have to suffer thru everyone singing "happy birthday" at an excruciatingly SLOW speed!!! (good lord, people, if you're gonna sing that song, could ya sing it like it's a HAPPY occasion with some upbeat to it, instead of like you're all in mourning and singing over a dead body or something? Geesh, I can take a shower and blow dry my hair by the time some people get done with that itty bitty song!)

LMBO!! That is too funny and I couldn't agree more about that song. It's like it kills people to sing it or something.

"Happy Birthday to yooouuuu....
I'm dying slooooowwwlllyyyy....."

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #24 of 25

I was wondering how you all wanted cake too. I don't even want it near me. Last year for my birthday, DH invited the family and bought about 8 watermelons. My daughters had him cut one in half and put a candle in it. Now that's my kind of "cake"!!!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #25 of 25

For my birthday this year, I will either have my kids make me a cake, or get the "royal elegance" cake from albertsons

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%