Whats Easier...fondant Or Gum Paste

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 5:41am by Texas_Rose

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #1 of 6

Ok, I did my fondant class like 2yrs ago in class, and I hated working with fondant. Maybe it was the lack of time in the class and I felt pressured, not sure. Then I came home and tried working with it...fondant just seemed so hard to handle for me.
So here I am 2yrs into making cakes and I love it, and Im getting alot better as I go....but what is easier fondant or gum paste? and why?

What does gum paste taste like compared to fondant? ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED....I loved Edna's video on calia lillies, it taught me alot...so before I head into the kitchen once again to try FONDANT....lets talk about GUM PASTE....

5 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:15am
post #2 of 6

Fondant stays more pliable for a longer period of time but GP dries hard.. and will stay in place easier icon_smile.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:15am
post #3 of 6

Gumpaste dries completely hard so you use it for making flowers that need to be thin petalled and look very realistic. Fondant is used of course to cover the cake and to make decorations that remain pliable to attach to the cake sides or more freestyle type flowers.

Typically you don't eat gumpaste, most of the time people keep the gp decorations because they will last practically forever if kept out of humidity. HTH

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

Glad someone asked this question...I've never used gumpaste but have seen that it's very popular when making flowers.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:30am
post #5 of 6

boyyyyy now I feel reallll dumb....sorry had surgery like 2wks ago, and my senses arent all back....when I asked what gp tasted like. So since Im not very mobile, you can bet Ive been sitting here at CAKE CENTRAL school.... icon_smile.gif

trying to learn all I can...and read all I can.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:41am
post #6 of 6

I bet the reason you have trouble with fondant is the humidity. You'll have the same trouble with gumpaste. Houston is even more humid than San Antonio.

Try marshmallow fondant. I bet you'll be happier with it.

And other people have asked what gumpaste tastes like, so it's not a weird question. The first time I ever made some, I sampled a bit to see what it tasted like...and the answer was, not anything I would ever eat on purpose icon_lol.gif The wilton stuff, anyhow, tastes just like the gum-tex powder smells.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%