The Longest Ride Of My Life!

Decorating By brnrlvr Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 12:52am by johnniekake

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #1 of 17

Today I learned a VERRRRY startling lesson. I Almost always transport my cakes fully complete. Today I had a wedding that had very unusual cakes that I really wanted to complete before transport, but I was VERRRYYY worried about it. I finally decide I WILL stack them and I will try chilling them- which I have never done before- like I have seen people sugest here on CC. OMG!!! What a GRRRREATTT tip!!! I will never transport without chilling again!! Although it was still a scary ride, the cakes were like a rock! No jiggling and swaying like usual. WHy have I not done this before?!! Duh! It only makes sence! I just want to say thank you to everyone on cake central for all the great advice and tips they are willing to share to help make everyone successfull in this business!
LL

16 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #2 of 17

What beautiful cakes! I'm so glad to read that this tip works. I've never chilled them yet before transport. (I've only done 3 wedding cakes) but if I ever do another one I will chill it first.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'll tuck that one away for future use.

Oh, mkolmar, Happy Birthday to you.....Happy Birthday to you..... icon_biggrin.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #4 of 17

I completely agree! Chilling is this best way to go!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 17

awesome cake! i love the different sizes of ribbons.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 17

I was going to coment on your photos in the gallery, but they weren't there. icon_wink.gif So I'll just do it here: your cakes are lovely. They're so elegant, tall and pretty. The ribbons are just the right touches. Love the monogramming, too!

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks!

It's just like the important lesson I earned the hard way about working with pictures on a computer- BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!

Important lesson in cake delivery- CHILL CHILL CHILL!

icon_smile.gif

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:30am
post #8 of 17

Cakes are beautiful! Do you chill even if fondant?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 17

Do you chill them after you stack them or just before?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 17

thanks for trying and posting. I've also read but doubted the reasoning but you've convinced me I should start doing it.

thumbs_up.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 17

I didn't catch the post on chilling....When do you chill, do you freeze or fridge, can you do this with fondant or just BC???? It sounds awesome but I'm unsure of the details...Thanks

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 17

is this specific to fondant covered cakes only? I live in the deep south and I think if I were to put BC in and chill it, once it hit humidity it would start sweating... any thoughts?

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 17

I just wanted to say that the cakes are beautiful!! Sooo pretty!!

I was reading in an older edition of MBN, I think that's it, anyway the article was about trasporting stacked cakes in the heat. She built boxes and then disassembled styrofoam coolers and wrapped them around the outside. She stores cake and cooler box in fridge until time to go. I will look for the article an see if I can scan it or at least the photos for everyone. I know I am going to try an built some when I get a chance.

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 17

Great tip will try

Sugar Plum Fairy: Happy Happy Birthday to you!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 17

Sugarbakerz.. that's exactly what happened to my last wedding cake. It was so hot and humid that I decided to put mine in the fridge until I left. I took them out an hour before I left and they were full of sweat by the time I left and I think that contributed to my icing SLIDING off the side of EACH tier. It was 100% humidity that day too and so stickin hot. I learned a lot of lessons.

I don't know that I will ever put mine in the fridge again like that... it didn't work for me!!! I think the key is having a stable icing??

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamia

Great tip will try

Sugar Plum Fairy: Happy Happy Birthday to you!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks! How sweet! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #17 of 17

I ALWAYS chill my assembled cakes 24 hours before transport,buttercream,fondant what ever............I live in Florida...... the cakes will sweat...but if you dont touch them they will dry out and be perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%