Ka Pouring Shield - Useful Yes Or No

Decorating By Eileenscakes Updated 22 May 2008 , 2:43am by kjgjam22

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 39

Hello All!

I am hoping to get some feedback on this...

My DH bought me a KA 5q for my bday, it did not come with a pouring shield and I am finding it is a hard thing to actually find the correct model for the lift bowls. So...should I pay a crazy amount on ebay (29.99 + 12 shipping) or just use a cloth???

Thanks for your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

38 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 39

Can't live without my pouring shield. But then again, I am a VERY messy baker. icon_smile.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 39

mine came with the shield and I never use it, I just put a towel over my mixer.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 39

I don't like the pouring shield. I think it's more trouble than it's worth. It seems to make a bigger mess than when I don't use it. The powdered sugar "seeps" out from around the rim and really make a huge mess.
I just lay a kitchen towel over my mixer to keep powdered sugar and the like from "misting" out! It's much easier for me because I don't have to worry about taking that darn thing off! lol

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 39

DITTO!!!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

mine came with the shield and I never use it, I just put a towel over my mixer.

ditto!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 39

I use it all!

I use the pouring shield to help contain as much powdered sugar as possible, plus I use the cloth towel to drape over the mixer to contain even more of the powder sugar dust and I've start putting a sheet of foil under the mixer to make clean up even easier with the over spills.

But I do like the pouring shield -- now whether or not its worth the $$ is another question. I got mine off ebay too -- but it didn't cost that much. You might keep an eye open for one to be posted with a better price.

Suze

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 39

I agree with "KASCARLETT". If you have to add ingredients while beating they help but most of the time all my ingredients are in there before I turn it on. As mentioned things "seep" out with them on and it seems it's a bigger mess.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 39

I gave mine away. It was more of a hinderance than a help. Like KASCARLETT I made more of a mess with it than without it.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 39

I have it for both my mixers and I dont use wither of them.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 39

I never use mine. I prefer a towel. The one time I tried to use them it was a huge mess.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 39

Ditto--mine came with one, never use it.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:48pm
post #13 of 39

I tried using mine a couple of times, but now it stays shoved in a lower cabinet. Too much trouble :p

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 39

The only time I use mine is if my mixer is already going. If I'm making icing, I don't use it. Acutally the only time I really use it is when I'm making cheesecake. Thats when the mixer is already going and i'm slowling adding the extra milk and cake mix. HTH

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 39

I use to feel the same way about my pour shield and would just use a towel. after one shot i loved it! i still use a towel towards the back of the machine to contine ps dust that can escape from the back, but i really turely love the pour shield. however i'd keep looking for one on ebay and see if you can find a cheaper one.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #16 of 39

Mine just feels like the actual shute thing is too close to my mixer and stuff gets ALL over my attachment portal thing as much as it goes in the bowl. It's just always been a hassel for me to use, so I stopped using it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong icon_lol.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #17 of 39

I never use a towel. I just use my shield. I don't pour anything in it though (that's too messy). Since you have to pay for it, though, I'd say it's not worth it.

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #18 of 39

I must say, I like the pour shield. Especially on my smaller KA. It's so old, the slow speed is sooo fast that if I don't have it on, even with a towel, EVERYTHING flies out of the bowl.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 39

Everytime I tried my pour shield it made a big mess! icon_lol.gif So, I no longer use it. I may have to whip it out and try again, but I doubt my method has changed icon_lol.gif .....I wouldn't buy if I had too.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #20 of 39

Whew!!! I can stop feeling so guilty about hating the bleedin' thing!!!

I quit using the shield after a few uses, it was such a chore! If you put anything liquid before dry, it would became a mudslide to the bowl.

Mine came with the mixer, I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:17pm
post #21 of 39

I too use a tea towel draped over the machine - the shield is a PITA and it's one extra thing to wash up too! If I'm using my big Kenwood mixer for large yields, then I do use the shield that that came with because it is better designed - it has a lid that closes over the pouring part - so no overspray!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #22 of 39

The shield is useless. It's one of the reasons why I want a Cuisinart mixer.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #23 of 39

I have only used my shield one time and never again after that!!! Gets in my way too much. Wonder who thought that thing up!!!!

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #24 of 39

Thank all for the advice...I think I will save my pennies and buy a few more cake pans or something fun!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #25 of 39

I used to use mine when I had the 4.5 Qt mixer, but when I upgraded to the KA600, The bowl is so much wider that it is easier to add ingredients with out it.
Ashcake, I am interested in your cheesecake recipe where you add a cake mix to it. Do tell!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #26 of 39

I vote for the shield being useless.

I have one for each of the 4 different sizes of KA's that I have and not a single one of them comes close to being as easy or effective as a dish towel draped over the mixer.

You can have mine if you come get it! icon_smile.gif

fancyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancyface Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:41pm
post #27 of 39

I have one to, used it twice & never again , its sitting in the cupboard collecting dust !

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #28 of 39

I don't use mine either! I make more of a mess w/ it than w/o it! icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #29 of 39

I'm in the monority, apparently, but I like the pouring shield because it keep stuff from jumping out of the bowl. I will say that I just got a new 6 quart mixer, and it came with a one-piece shield, which I don't like as much as the two-piece shield. The one-piece has a big gap in the side, which defeats the purpose of the shield, IMO.

All of you who don't like your pouring shield can send them to me!! icon_biggrin.gif

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:58pm
post #30 of 39

To me it's just one more dish to wash, I use the towel instead. I thought it was a waste of money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%