What Are The Differences

Decorating By nikki72905 Updated 10 May 2008 , 6:23pm by diane

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 10 May 2008 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

Hi All my CC Friends!!!

I hope this question does not seem too trivial, but I have been wondering for some time...

What is the difference between
A. Fondant
B. Gumpaste
C. Flowerpaste

And are there any other mediums that I should know about?

Thanks to all in advance

Have a Great day!
Nikki

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:08am
post #2 of 5

Fondant is typically for rolling out and covering cakes. It can be used for figurres and some flowers but it isn't a strong as gumpaste and it doesn't dry as hard. It can also be called sugarpaste in the UK

Gumpaste is usually for rolling very thin and making delicate decorations. It is still edible, but dries harder and faster.

Flower paste is another name for gumpaste.

A mixture of 50/50 fondant and gumpaste makes a better product for rolling into drapes and making figures. it combines some of the best qualities of each medium

There is also chocolate clay, a mixture of meted chocolate and clear corn syrup. It can be used like fondant to cover cake and to make decorations.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:10am
post #3 of 5

To my best knowledge, gumpaste has a different taste and texture than Fondant. It's not meant to be eaten. It dries quicly and very hard and is more elastic, so it can be rolled very thin and used for flowers and other delicate decoration.

Fondant is a sugary, mold-able paste that is used to cover cakes and make edible decorations. It can also be used to make flowers, but it dries more slowly and not has hard.

Not sure what flowerpaste is - maybe a different name for gumpaste. Fondant is sometimes called sugarpaste.

Rolled buttercream is another icing that can be rolled and shaped into figures and such. I've never tried it, but many people and professionals prefer to use it because of taste and because it is still soft on the insidie when dry.

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:32am
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much!!!

You guys are Grrrrrrrrrr ate LOL -- it's 2:31 Am and I'm at work ... LOL

Have a wonderful day!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 5

baking911 has a detailed explanation of all of them.

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_fondant.htm

icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%